Syracuse

They're actually called "the orange" now. I believe, but I could be mistaken, that their name has to do with the large settlement of Irish Catholics in Syracuse.

Apparently not.

The athletic nickname derives from the official color. Prior to 2004, the official nicknames of the athletic teams were the "Orangemen" and "Orangewomen." These former nicknames are still affectionately used by some fans. However, beginning with the 2004–2005 school year, the official nickname was changed to the "Orange." This revision is gender-neutral, concise, and reflects the basis of the nickname as being the school color, as opposed to being derived from the Irish and Scottish Protestant fraternal organization.[9] Other nicknames over the years have included the "Hilltoppers," for the school's location on a hill, and the "Saltine Warriors," for a former mascot

PTR

They're actually called "the orange" now. I believe, but I could be mistaken, that their name has to do with the large settlement of Irish Catholics in Syracuse.

It would be Irish Protestants being orange, green is for Catholics.

Apparently not.

PTR

Gender neutral :sick: I'm so sick of this :censored: pc bull$#!t

True story: the original colors for this co-ed school were rose pink and pea green. :sick: A group of students went to the chancellor in 1890 and asked that these colors be changed since it was difficult to cheer athletic teams represented in those colors. A professor at SU did some research and found that no other school had orange alone as it's primary color. It was then adopted officially by the university.

signed,

a Syracuse alumnae

True story: the original colors for this co-ed school were rose pink and pea green. :sick: A group of students went to the chancellor in 1890 and asked that these colors be changed since it was difficult to cheer athletic teams represented in those colors. A professor at SU did some research and found that no other school had orange alone as it's primary color. It was then adopted officially by the university.

signed,

a Syracuse alumnae

Excellent historical context! But your signature should read A Syracuse Alumnus (if male) or Alumna (if female). Alumnae is feminine plural.

Signed,

A Syracuse Faculty Member ;):lol:

signed,

a Syracuse alumnae

I'd love to see some pink and green throwbacks.

PTR

Tainted by an awful refs call. Simply awful.

Not sure if you watched the game. I did, and I thought it was the worst officiated college game I've seen this year. The PF penalty on Cuse for "shoulder to shoulder contact causing the kstate recever to drop the ball... total BS. The call on Cuse for holding in the flat (2nd Qtr.) was BS and directly led to a KSate TD. Then the non call on KState when Syr went for it on 4th down in the 2nd qtr. The LB had his arms wrapped around the Syr TE for two full steps before knocking the Ball down.... no call.

Then the one that clearly should have drawn a flag was on Sales 3rd TD catch. Kstate's free safety bumped Sales off stride 20 yds. down field... right in the middle of the field (only the two of them there).... you could see the collision... had Sales not been able to move through that and the pass gone over his head..... well, don't rely on me... go back and look at the tape. The flag should have been thrown

Now... with all that, KState could have gone for a FG late in the 4th qtr. (before their last TD) They chose not to do that and tried a fake instead, which failed.

So, if the game was tainted by officials then Syr got justice in the end.

Excellent historical context! But your signature should read A Syracuse Alumnus (if male) or Alumna (if female). Alumnae is feminine plural.

Signed,

A Syracuse Faculty Member ;):lol:

Golden Wheels is a woman, but I believe she is only one woman.

Nicknames, mascots, and colors

Logo version of Otto the OrangeOrange is the official school color, adopted as such in 1890. Prior to that time, the school's colors were rose pink and pea green. Orange, blue, and white are traditionally used for athletic uniforms.[8]

The athletic nickname derives from the official color. Prior to 2004, the official nicknames of the athletic teams were the "Orangemen" and "Orangewomen." These former nicknames are still affectionately used by some fans. However, beginning with the 2004–2005 school year, the official nickname was changed to the "Orange." This revision is gender-neutral, concise, and reflects the basis of the nickname as being the school color, as opposed to being derived from the Irish and Scottish Protestant fraternal organization.[9] Other nicknames over the years have included the "Hilltoppers," for the school's location on a hill, and the "Saltine Warriors," for a former mascot

Not sure if you watched the game. I did, and I thought it was the worst officiated college game I've seen this year. The PF penalty on Cuse for "shoulder to shoulder contact causing the kstate recever to drop the ball... total BS. The call on Cuse for holding in the flat (2nd Qtr.) was BS and directly led to a KSate TD. Then the non call on KState when Syr went for it on 4th down in the 2nd qtr. The LB had his arms wrapped around the Syr TE for two full steps before knocking the Ball down.... no call.

Then the one that clearly should have drawn a flag was on Sales 3rd TD catch. Kstate's free safety bumped Sales off stride 20 yds. down field... right in the middle of the field (only the two of them there).... you could see the collision... had Sales not been able to move through that and the pass gone over his head..... well, don't rely on me... go back and look at the tape. The flag should have been thrown

Now... with all that, KState could have gone for a FG late in the 4th qtr. (before their last TD) They chose not to do that and tried a fake instead, which failed.

So, if the game was tainted by officials then Syr got justice in the end.

How about the BS holding call on the DT of SU whenhe grabbed one guy and pushed him to the side and then engaged nother guy abd they called a hold. I think it was on Chandler Jones. It happens every other play and they call it so it ruined a stopped 3rd down play w auto first down. The shoulder to chest call was worst I have seen in along time other than when Sales got pushed and held and no flag thrown. Thank Gold Marcus got to the ball. Big Ten refs sucked. Was a little harsh on the WR of KS but call were like this the whole game. Go Orange!

Apparently not.

and the "Saltine Warriors," for a former mascot

PTR

So they used to have a cracker for a mascot? Maybe the Orange isn't so bad...

How about the BS holding call on the DT of SU whenhe grabbed one guy and pushed him to the side and then engaged nother guy abd they called a hold. I think it was on Chandler Jones. It happens every other play and they call it so it ruined a stopped 3rd down play w auto first down. The shoulder to chest call was worst I have seen in along time other than when Sales got pushed and held and no flag thrown. Thank Gold Marcus got to the ball. Big Ten refs sucked. Was a little harsh on the WR of KS but call were like this the whole game. Go Orange!

That was so blatant that it had to be called.

Tainted by an awful refs call. Simply awful.

PTR

It was an awful call, but as a life long Orange fan, I completely enjoyed watching K-State line up at the Orange 18 yd. line for the 2 pt. conversion. :thumbsup::w00t::nana:

But the rest of the game was great, the 'Cuse were winning by 2 so all K.State would have done if they made the 2 pointer was tie anyway.

Great bowl win, and good solid 8 win season for coach Marone in just his second year taking over a program that was left in a shambles after the Greg Robinson "error-a"

Edited by BillsPhan