Police: Traveler won't shut off iPhone, gets socked

EC-Bills

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article:

Bull crap. In this case I bet it solved several things one of which was teaching the teenage putz to follow directions.

Another being any indecision Russell Miller might have had about his plans that night.

Meh, old guy doesnt understand technology or that there is an "Airplane" mode setting on the iPhone (and on most smartphones) which disables all wireless and cell communication.

Not sure what got the old guy so upset. Listening to the ipod isnt going to crash the plane.

Meh, old guy doesnt understand technology or that there is an "Airplane" mode setting on the iPhone (and on most smartphones) which disables all wireless and cell communication.

Not sure what got the old guy so upset. Listening to the ipod isnt going to crash the plane.

Take off and landing is the most critical and dangerous times when flying. You are asked to turn off any portable electonic devices not to disrupt the flight or communications but so the damn thing won't go flying around during landing and takeoff but most importantly so the putz it paying attention to any announcements made. But I'm not surprised a young person is oblivious to this.

Take off and landing is the most critical and dangerous times when flying. You are asked to turn off any portable electonic devices not to disrupt the flight or communications but so the damn thing won't go flying around during landing and takeoff but most importantly so the putz it paying attention to any announcements made. But I'm not surprised a young person is oblivious to this.

Im not oblivious to it, but I also dont understand what problem listening to the ipod would cause? Please elaborate.

Do you mean if the plane starts to crash, he wont be able to tell? Or in the off chance they have to make an emergency landing (let's say the landing gear wont go down), he'll need to hear something?

I just dont understand the specific situations that they are trying to protect against. Hopefully you can help out.

I make about 5-10 round trip flights a year (10-20 total, not including connections), and while Im well aware of the rule, and am fairly familiar with flying/aviation, I dont see what the big deal is. Other than the airline being afraid that if there is no rule, then NO ONE will be paying attention.

Im not oblivious to it, but I also dont understand what problem listening to the ipod would cause? Please elaborate.

Do you mean if the plane starts to crash, he wont be able to tell? Or in the off chance they have to make an emergency landing (let's say the landing gear wont go down), he'll need to hear something?

I just dont understand the specific situations that they are trying to protect against. Hopefully you can help out.

I make about 5-10 round trip flights a year (10-20 total, not including connections), and while Im well aware of the rule, and am fairly familiar with flying/aviation, I dont see what the big deal is. Other than the airline being afraid that if there is no rule, then NO ONE will be paying attention.

All I have to say is you better not be the !@#$ing idiot that gets in my way when I'm trying to get out of a burning plane because you were too interested in that five extra minutes of music on your ipod and you missed the instructions on what to do during an emergency. You strike me as a person that never outgrew that 15 year old mentality of questioning every rule. "But whyyyy do I hafta do that??" Do you stomp your feet too?

All I have to say is you better not be the !@#$ing idiot that gets in my way when I'm trying to get out of a burning plane because you were too interested in that five extra minutes of music on your ipod and you missed the instructions on what to do during an emergency. You strike me as a person that never outgrew that 15 year old mentality of questioning every rule. "But whyyyy do I hafta do that??" Do you stomp your feet too?

:lol:

Holy hyperbole, chefman.

What, pray tell, are these instructions that are the difference between knowing how to exit a burning plane and suddenly going retarded because you were listening to an iPod?

because you were too interested in that five extra minutes of music on your ipod and you missed the instructions on what to do during an emergency.

There has to be something more to it than just that.

I fly a lot and it seems to me with all the books, magazines and sleeping very few are ever paying attention to any of those emergency instructions.

:lol:

Holy hyperbole, chefman.

What, pray tell, are these instructions that are the difference between knowing how to exit a burning plane and suddenly going retarded because you were listening to an iPod?

Have you ever been in a plane that has had a major emergency? I have and if someone had on their ipod and and no clue what was going on I would not want to get stuck behind that person who didn't know what to do.

But my main point is that you're on their plane and they're responsible for your safety. It's not all about you it also about the hundred or so other people on the plane. If they ask you to turn off your ipod you turn the !@#$ing thing off.

Please describe the events that lead to us on burning plane where either 1. We didnt die on impact, or 2. I dont notice the burning plane and cant stand up from my seat and walk to the emergency exit.

You make it sound like being a passenger is more complicated than sitting in one spot for a period of time, and then getting up and exiting through one of the very few doorways. :rolleyes:

Also, yes, I still question "Why?" to a lot of things. Not just rules, but all sorts of things. It was one of the best things my Chemistry professors taught me when I was in college. Always be asking Why? or How? in a quest for further understanding. Question EVERYTHING, gather your own facts, and then make your own judgment. Hence, me asking you for examples.

Regardless of whether I decide to comply with the rule or not, what kind of sheep are you, that you just do exactly as you are told with every order given?

Have you ever been in a plane that has had a major emergency? I have and if someone had on their ipod and and no clue what was going on I would not want to get stuck behind that person who didn't know what to do.

What have they asked you to do in these emergency situations that was so complicated? Did you have to fly the plane? Did they ask you to go out and form a wing? Did they ask you to fix some wiring?

Seems to me like there are only a couple options for the passengers. Get up in an orderly fashion and make your way to the exit, or stay and die. I doubt anyone is going to screw up that choice, even if they had their headphones in.

No I haven't. The closest I've come is our plane touching down (I assume in the wrong spot) and then immediately taking off again. Since you have, my question remains:

What were the critical instructions that you would have been lost without? I'm honestly curious what they told you.

But my main point is that you're on their plane and they're responsible for your safety. It's not all about you it also about the hundred or so other people on the plane. If they ask you to turn off your ipod you turn the !@#$ing thing off.

Oh okay...because your main point seemed to be that missing the landing instructions was somehow going to create a disaster. Maybe the kid was a dick. Who knows. But I subscribe more to "mind your own business" when we are talking about such astronomical "what ifs."

I mean, you actually said that you shouldn't listen to your iPod because it might "go flying around during landing and takeoff." Seriously? When you say things like that.... :lol:

But I kind of butted into your discussion with Doc so...