Is Williams really that good?

ShipUPride

How is average/solid = negative?

I've watched at least 3/4 of the games this year.

He makes some good plays sometimes. He also gets pushed around sometimes. He's not some guy who dominates the line every play. But his motor means he also makes some plays you wouldn't expect. I don't think he's an automatic shoe-in pro-bowler. I also don't think he should be cut, fired, traded, etc.

My life is quite fabulous, actually. :)

Your context on his being average was negative in that he is clearly a very good player, well above average. But OK, he is not a guy who dominates on every play. I agree with that.

Vince Wolfork did not dominate on every play either and he played against a back up center. We played Baltimore and Hangartner did a very good job on Ngata, he did not dominant on every play against us.

I think Williams had a Pro Bowl season, he seems to have earned the repsect of his opponents too.

Did I say cut him?

He's a solid player. He's not a great player, not a pro bowler. But a solid player. I would rather we keep him, and pick up a another solid, or even better, a great tackle.

If he's not great, then why do almost all advanced metrics point to him as being the best DT in the NFL this season, including one of the most dominant single-game performances EVER (against pitt)?

I think people are getting a carried away on this.....

Williams is a awesome player.....but that is not the point. He does not block enough sunlight to be a Nose Tackle.......and the DE's lining up next to him are getting thier @ss kicked on a regular basis.....

It doesnt take away from the fact that he has had an awesome year

I swear, some people form a single opinin of a player and then stick with that opinion no matter what gets done of the field. Every knock against KW in this (and other) threads, he's done this season. He's gotten to the QB. He's stuffed the run. He's blown plays up in the backfield countless times. He's chased down plays from behind. He's batted passes and created turnovers. He gets double teamed on almost every play. The guy is a terror on the field. So yes, Kyle Williams really is that good.

Some of you are so caught up on an exact build for a position that you think that if someone isn't X tall or weighs Y pounds, he's not top-notch or can't/won't playat a high level. The guy is one of the top 5 DTs in the league, no matter what the pro-bowl popularity contest says.

Give me 1 Kyle Williams-type player at each level on defense (DL, LB, DB) and you will have one of the best Ds in the league.

What you said. :thumbsup:

When Darryl Talley tweets that Williams is the best player on the team and should go to the Probowl, it should IMHO make everyone look carefully at Willams

Doesn't block sunlight, blah blah blah. He can play. Period.

Your context on his being average was negative in that he is clearly a very good player, well above average. But OK, he is not a guy who dominates on every play. I agree with that.

Vince Wolfork did not dominate on every play either and he played against a back up center. We played Baltimore and Hangartner did a very good job on Ngata, he did not dominant on every play against us.

I think Williams had a Pro Bowl season, he seems to have earned the repsect of his opponents too.

If he's not great, then why do almost all advanced metrics point to him as being the best DT in the NFL this season, including one of the most dominant single-game performances EVER (against pitt)?

Hey, if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

I have no shame in that.

For some reason I just don't see him swallowing up the inside like Ted Washington and Pat Williams did for us in years past.

I've never claimed to be the foremost scholar on football, all I can go by is what I see, and I see a solid guy who performs well sometimes. But if real analysts and metrics/stats say he's the best, then that goes further than some random fan. :)

Did I say cut him?

He's a solid player. He's not a great player, not a pro bowler. But a solid player. I would rather we keep him, and pick up a another solid, or even better, a great tackle.

The second half of the season i watched KW a lot. They man was constantly double teamed against Pittsburgh and sometimes triple teamed. That is impressive. And its not just good, that great play. To demand that kind of attention in the NFL no matter where you are playing is what most in the business call a great player.

He's got a motor, and he never gives up.

But he's not big enough, skilled enough or fast enough to do any real damage in the league.

He's a star on a team of failures. Meaning he's maybe an average player compared to the rest of the league.

skilled enough,lofl. when his peers who play against him heap loads of praise on him your comment makes you look like a fool.

the guy is an absolute stud and its asinine to suggest because he is 15 lbs lighter than your prototypical NT that makes him a lesser talented player is just ridiculous.

the guy is a great player in any defense.

I have to agree in that he is not perfect, but the real question you aren't asking is that when he is double teamed, what are the rest of the linemen doing? This is a team sport, and while I am also critical of Poz, I have to ask, with 3 other LBs on the field, why is it that we expect only him to make plays? As fans you still have to recognize that this is a team sport and we should expect quality at all positions. I am no Poz fan, but why isn't anyone posting about how terrible the other LBs are? When one man is doubled, the guy next to him has an opportunity to make a play. The real question is, where is our replacement for Stroud next season?

And that sir is an excellent question!!!

He's got a motor, and he never gives up.

But he's not big enough, skilled enough or fast enough to do any real damage in the league.

He's a star on a team of failures. Meaning he's maybe an average player compared to the rest of the league.

WRONG!!! He is a beast. And if we had a true 339lb NT we would see how great he could truly be. Imagine if he had a couple of players that played like him on the dline.....

Edited by qdawg in philly

And that sir is an excellent question!!!

WRONG!!! He is a beast. And if we had a true 339lb NT we would see how great he could truly be. Imagine if he had a couple of players that played like him on the dline.....

I love your thinking, yes we do need a replacement for Stroud. I hate to say it because a couple of years ago I liked the guy a lot. He has really dropped off though for whatever reason.

Kyle is the only force on our line, I hope Troupe develops more (he has had a decent season for a rook IMO), Dlinemen take time in most cases.

I love how the fanbase is so self-loathing and below average that they can't see who is a great player even on a fairly bad team there are very good players in the NFL.

I swear, some people form a single opinion of a player and then stick with that opinion no matter what gets done of the field. Every knock against KW in this (and other) threads, he's done this season. He's gotten to the QB. He's stuffed the run. He's blown plays up in the backfield countless times. He's chased down plays from behind. He's batted passes and created turnovers. He gets double teamed on almost every play. The guy is a terror on the field. So yes, Kyle Williams really is that good.

Some of you are so caught up on an exact build for a position that you think that if someone isn't X tall or weighs Y pounds, he's not top-notch or can't/won't playat a high level. The guy is one of the top 5 DTs in the league, no matter what the pro-bowl popularity contest says.

Give me 1 Kyle Williams-type player at each level on defense (DL, LB, DB) and you will have one of the best Ds in the league.

He's a shoe in Pro bowler if this team has a better record. That's really all there is to it. All the not big enough or strong enough or fast enough has been debunked 10 times over by Kyle on the field all year long, and he's got very little help.

Looks like I'm in a super minority. Sorry for my opinion guys, I'll rescind it. :)

Regardless of who's right or wrong (I should say, MORE right or MORE wrong), thanks for conducting yourself with an open mind and a little bit of humility.

These qualities are in rare supply here…too rare.

Kudos.