Vikings approached on moving team to Los Angeles

TheBlackMamba

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=reu-vikings

NEW YORK, Dec 1 (Reuters) - Two Los Angeles groups have inquired about moving the Minnesota Vikings National Football League team to California, a Vikings official said.

The NFL currently does not have a team in Los Angeles, the nation’s second biggest market, but the Vikings said they had fielded inquiries.

“We have been approached by two different groups in Los Angeles - the Ed Roski group and more recently by former (Minnesota) Timberwolves CEO Tim Leiweke and AEG,” Vikings vice president of stadium development and public affairs Lester Bagley said on the team’s website (vikings.com).

But Bagley said the Vikings did not have any plans to move from Minnesota and were focussing instead on building a world-class facility in the midwestern state.

“We feel solid momentum and feel we’re well-positioned with the new legislature and governor,” Bagley said in a question-and-answer chat.

The Vikings are in the final year of their lease with the aging Metrodome, their domed stadium in downtown Minneapolis.

Bagley said team owner Zygi Wilf and Vikings management had toured the LA Live entertainment complex in 2009 while at an NFL owners’ meeting. The Vikings were trying to get ideas on building a similar sports/entertainment district in Minnesota, he said.

Roski’s group has plans for an $800 million stadium project in the City of Industry, a Los Angeles suburb.

Leiweke and sports-entertainment group AEG have proposed building a privately financed billion dollar stadium next to the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Los Angeles has been without an NFL team since the Raiders and Rams left following the 1994 season. The Raiders relocated to Oakland and the Rams moved to St. Louis.

(Reporting by Gene Cherry in Salvo, North Carolina; Editing by Julian Linden; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

i am of the mind that the bills are not going anywhere simply because there are no other places to go, other than L A. i feel that a franchise other than the bills will ultimately end up there. we all know the "usual suspects", but in reality, once the L A "threat" is removed, doesnt the city thats franchise moves to L A, now become the new bargaining chip for an NFL owner? once minnesota builds a new facility, if they move to L A , they become the next destination point of a owner trying to squeeze an area for more.

Edited by dwight in philly

i am of the mind that the bills are not going anywhere simply because there are no other places to go, other than L A. i feel that a franchise other than the bills will ultimately end up there. we all know the "usual suspects", but in reality, once the L A "threat" is removed, doesnt the city thats franchise moves to L A, now become the new bargaining chip for an NFL owner? once minnesota builds a new facility, if they move to L A , they become the next destination point of a owner trying to squeeze an area for more.

Someplace will always pop up. San Antonio, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Toronto, heck even Mexico City. Wherever a bored billionaire needs a toy.

PTR

If the Vikings move to LA would they still play in the NFC North or would we be shifting divisions for them and other teams.

I think move them to NFC West and have St. Louis move to the NFC North.

St. Louis would be thrilled to pick up home games vs Chicago and Green Bay. LA would have a natural rivalry with SF.

I would like to see an unbiased Total Economic Impact of building a stadium in a community.

Tax Revenue on Stadium Merchandise and vending would exist if the stadium is community based or if the stadium is privately funded.

Obviously the difference being if the team leaves, all of that revenue disappears, but really isn't a motivation for a community to build a new stadium when one already exists.

There is a possible lease payment, but does that really cover the building costs?

If anyone has ever seen an executive summary of a TEI I would be curious.

Someplace will always pop up. San Antonio, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Toronto, heck even Mexico City. Wherever a bored billionaire needs a toy.

PTR

promo, let me preface my remarks by saying i think your take and comments are usually on the money and appreciate the fact that your contributions to the board do not contain any caustic overtones or correcting of people on grammar and that nonsense. i think vegas would be out because of the NFL'S transparent approach to gambling, but i agree with your gist, it will never stop , an owner will always try to leverage one city against another. it is a shame, but at least the NFL is not like the NBA, or the NHL,where franchise shifts occur quite a bit. i think the the NFL does not want to be anywhere near being labeled a vagabond type of league. that is what gives me hope about the bills.

The Vikes will either get a new stadium and stay in Minny or they will move to LA. Jacksonville to me seems the best fit for a move to LA. The Jags don't have as much history as the Vikes and no where near the fan support the Vikes have.

Its really will the Vikes get a new stadium. The Metrodome (Once it get repairs)has only one more year left on its lease. So the Vikes need to crap or get off the pot because if they don't get a new stadium deal in place they will move.

In the end I think Minny will bend and give the Vikes what they want in a deal. The Jags are the team that will move to LA.

and then move the Bills with the Steelers, Browns, and either Bengals/Ravens.

If I recall correctly a long time ago it was proposed that the Bills be moved into a conference similar to what you just described. If my my faded memory is accurate Ralph Wilson nixed the idea because he wanted to maintain the Miami/Buffalo rivalry.

The Vikings won't go anywhere...

PTR

True, based on the fact Utah is a religous state and with Salt Lake having troubles with the Utah Jazz playing Sunday games...its unlikely they would make a play for an NFL team

I think the maybe the collapse of the Metrodome roof could ultimately be the straw that broke the camels backs in regards to the Vikes moving to LA.

The Metrodome is still in better shape than any LA "stadium".

This was posted here by someone else a few weeks ago when the story was published. Without significant ownership share no one is going to build a billion dollar stadium to rent it out 10 days a year to the LA Vikings.

If I recall correctly a long time ago it was proposed that the Bills be moved into a conference similar to what you just described. If my my faded memory is accurate Ralph Wilson nixed the idea because he wanted to maintain the Miami/Buffalo rivalry.

Yep, you are correct.