If The Bills Decide Not To Draft A Quarterback

Bill from NYC

They will receive numerous offers to trade down, and be in the drivers seat should they be inclined to do so.

It happened in 2006. Leinart and Cutler were still on the board at number 8, and Levy, who simply HAD to draft Whitner, said on Sirius that he in fact had many offers. One was reported to be a 2nd and a 4th.

Looking around the league, a slew of teams need a quarterback. How many good quarterbacks are there in the NFC West and AFC West combined? Now, how good is Romo, assuming he comes back healthy? Or even an aging McNabb? Please feel free to expand on this list! If we select in front of Dallas, I fully believe they would give away the store for Mallett. Again, Jones is an Arkansas alum, and this kid would fill that new stadium up in 10 minutes.

If we draft 4-7, is there really a DE or OT that will be SO much better than anyone else that we MUST draft him, especially taking into account just how much the pick might be worth? In 2004, the Bills surrendered their 1st round pick in 2005, along with 2nd and 5th round picks in 2004 to get the #22 from Dallas, in order to draft JP Losman. I point this out to stress just how much an early pick would be worth with the quarterback shortage that exists.

For the record.....as much as I like Fitz, the Bills would draft Ryan Mallett if I was calling the shots. I view him at a potential Big Ben with twice the arm. This obviously goes against the grain of this board, but the good news is that we are here to discuss the Buffalo Bills, and that we all want them to win. :thumbsup:

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the record.....as much as I like Fitz, the Bills would draft Ryan Mallett if I was calling the shots. I view him at a potential Big Ben with twice the arm. This obviously goes against the grain of this board, but the good news is that we are here to discuss the Buffalo Bills, and that we all want them to win. :thumbsup:

If you change the qb from Mallett to Newton I will befriend you. If the Bills could move a little downwards and get an extra pick and still come away with Newton I would be ecstatic. :thumbsup: LOL

This obviously goes against the grain of this board, but the good news is that we are here to discuss the Buffalo Bills, and that we all want them to win. :thumbsup:

On the contrary, I believe there are a few people here who actually do want them to lose.

They will receive numerous offers to trade down, and be in the drivers seat should they be inclined to do so.

It happened in 2006. Leinart and Cutler were still on the board at number 8, and Levy, who simply HAD to draft Whitner, said on Sirius that he in fact had many offers. One was reported to be a 2nd and a 4th.

Looking around the league, a slew of teams need a quarterback. How many good quarterbacks are there in the NFC West and AFC West combined? Now, how good is Romo, assuming he comes back healthy? Or even an aging McNabb? Please feel free to expand on this list! If we select in front of Dallas, I fully believe they would give away the store for Mallett. Again, Jones is an Arkansas alum, and this kid would fill that new stadium up in 10 minutes.

If we draft 4-7, is there really a DE or OT that will be SO much better than anyone else that we MUST draft him, especially taking into account just how much the pick might be worth? In 2004, the Bills surrendered their 1st round pick in 2005, along with 2nd and 5th round picks in 2004 to get the #22 from Dallas, in order to draft JP Losman. I point this out to stress just how much an early pick would be worth with the quarterback shortage that exists.

I think Mallett will be gone by the time we pick, Bill - which, right now, I'd project around the # 8 spot (JMO).

Mallett's a favorite of mine too but, as you know, there's a QB draft-darling every year - and maybe even we wind up with Andy-Boy in the 2012 draft if he has a crappy season next year. I'm still for taking Wisconsin LT and Outland winner Gabe Carimi in round one.

Oh how I would love a trade down to pick up an ILB and an OLB in the first round, DE in the 2nd.

Think Nevada DE/OLB Dontay Moch in round 2, and Stanford ILB/FB/ST stud Owen Marecic in round 4.

Great football player. It'd also be nice to see a croatian on the bills. :thumbsup:

Only ' great ' ???

He's ' perfect ' ...

The Perfect Player

In his office Harbaugh keeps one of the several helmets Marecic has cracked while at Stanford. At Harbaugh's request Marecic signed the helmet, along with words he lives by: TODAY GIVE ALL THAT YOU HAVE, FOR WHAT YOU KEEP INSIDE YOU LOSE FOREVER.

You just know how loved a slavic 2-way player and special teams ace will be here in the BuffTown, and I gotta think that's who Nix was really scouting on his last trip to Palo Alto. B-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnzmNUcLG2M

Only ' great ' ???

He's ' perfect ' ...

Haha.

-Love the video, until I heard the announcer pronounce Marecic "Ma-rees-sick" :sick:. I hope he doesn't butcher his own name that bad; but this is nothing new with croatian and other slavic names. Oh well, what a football player!

Edited by NickelCity

I'm still for taking Wisconsin LT and Outland winner Gabe Carimi in round one.

How much have you seen of Demarcus Love? I want to se more of Carmini before I come to a conclusion, but Love imo is a great prospect. He is a team captain and leader. He reminds me a bit of D'Brick. I think that he too will climb up the charts.

I assume you meant Levy's offer was to trade down into the 1st plus a 2nd and a 4th. Kind of depends how far the trade down was from 8th to really know if it made sense or not.

As I vaguely recall it was down to approx. #14.

Great football player. It'd also be nice to see a croatian on the bills. :thumbsup:

Croations are some of the best Italian chefs in NYC. Try Capucines on 19th Street and 2nd Ave. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: It is my favorite place in the city. Old world, old fashioned Italian.

Croations are some of the best Italian chefs in NYC. Try Capucines on 19th Street and 2nd Ave. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: It is my favorite place in the city. Old world, old fashioned Italian.

Same out here on the west coast. Croatian food is becoming more sought after itself these days, so many are including croatian options as well. I can finally eat croatian (outside of croatia) without having too cook it myself!

On a Bills note, has there been a discussion regarding peoples' favorite LB prospects (both old and ilb)?

Haha.

-Love the video, until I heard the announcer pronounce Marecic "Ma-rees-sick" :sick:. I hope he doesn't butcher his own name that bad; but this is nothing new with croatian and other slavic names. Oh well, what a football player!

:D

I know how you feel - as a Pole, I cringe every time I hear an announcer say PussLUZnee - it's PosLUSZny!!!!! :beer: , dammit!

(pronounced ' pozLOOOSHnih ' - means ' obedient ' - link)

Here's another helmet-cracking video of Marecic, who'd look just great in Bills' Blue...

How much have you seen of Demarcus Love? I want to se more of Carmini before I come to a conclusion, but Love imo is a great prospect. He is a team captain and leader. He reminds me a bit of D'Brick. I think that he too will climb up the charts.

I've seen him in a few Arkansas games, but haven't focused on him much. He's a bit smaller - and a bit slower - than Carimi...

DraftScout Profile - Gabe Carimi

DraftScout Profile - Demarcus Love

It'll be great to watch Love (and Mallett) against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl, and Carimi (and Tolzien and Kendricks) against TCU in the Rose Bowl.

:D

I know how you feel - as a Pole, I cringe every time I hear an announcer say PussLUZnee - it's PosLUSZny!!!!! :beer: , dammit!

(pronounced ' pozLOOOSHnih ' - means ' obedient ' - link)

It'll be great to watch Love (and Mallett) against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl, and Carimi (and Tolzien and Kendricks) against TCU in the Rose Bowl.

Ah, so you understand! (Marecic is pronounced Maray-chich, so the announcers are WAY off)

I'm really looking forward to the bowl games this year, lots of prospects I'm excited to watch

Edited by NickelCity

Moch at pick 38-42 is early.

All depends on which ' bible ' you read, I guess.

Draft Scout has him pegged at # 37 (and rising)...

Draft Scout Profile - Dontay Moch

Back in Sept/Oct, I thought we could get him in round 3 - now I think we gotta grab him in the 2nd. JMO.

The NFL scouts didn't believe their stopwatches. They were the ones who timed the run. They were the ones who saw it happen. But they didn't believe it. Nevada's Dontay Moch had just run 40 yards in 4.18 seconds. That would be among the fastest times ever recorded. In disbelief, they made him run again. He clocked 4.08 on his second try. That time is almost inhuman. So they made him run again. On his third and final try, he covered the 40 yards in 4.2 seconds.

Maybe he was a little tired, but even that time is run by only the most nimble wide receivers and cornerbacks. Imagine a 6-1, 245-pound defensive end such as Moch running it. Unthinkable. "He has freakish talent," Wolf Pack defensive coordinator Andy Buh said. "Freakish talent. That would be my two words for Dontay Moch. When he puts his mind to it, he's unstoppable."

(Link - Nevada defense moves at Dontay Moch speed)

Edited by The Senator

The bills had offers from the Broncos, Eagles, and Vikings. The Broncos wanted Cutler, and offered their first, the 4th pick of the 2nd round, and a 4th round pick. The Eagles wanted Bunkley, but I never heard what they offered. I never heard who the Vikings wanted or what they offered. The best offer offer of the three was the Broncos, which was reported by Peter King after the draft. The bills passed because they thought either the lions would take Whitner at 9 or the ravens at 12. Mortenson reported after the draft that the Lions loved Sims, and would not have taken Whitner. The Ravens would have taken Whitner if Ngata was unavailable. So looking back, they bills could have traded down and still picked Whitner. If this occurred they probably do not trade up, since McCargo probably would have been there in the early stages of round 2. To answer your question, I feel they could trade down if a top qb prospect was on the clock in April. I hope however, that they select a qb if a good one is available.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

All depends on which ' bible ' you read, I guess.

Draft Scout has him pegged at # 37 (and rising)...

Draft Scout Profile - Dontay Moch

Back in Sept/Oct, I thought we could get him in round 3 - now I think we gotta grab him in the 2nd. JMO.

The NFL scouts didn't believe their stopwatches. They were the ones who timed the run. They were the ones who saw it happen. But they didn't believe it. Nevada's Dontay Moch had just run 40 yards in 4.18 seconds. That would be among the fastest times ever recorded. In disbelief, they made him run again. He clocked 4.08 on his second try. That time is almost inhuman. So they made him run again. On his third and final try, he covered the 40 yards in 4.2 seconds.

Maybe he was a little tired, but even that time is run by only the most nimble wide receivers and cornerbacks. Imagine a 6-1, 245-pound defensive end such as Moch running it. Unthinkable. "He has freakish talent," Wolf Pack defensive coordinator Andy Buh said. "Freakish talent. That would be my two words for Dontay Moch. When he puts his mind to it, he's unstoppable."

(Link - Nevada defense moves at Dontay Moch speed)

I like Moch a lot as a raw talent. Can you imagine next year haing Moats and Moch on the outside? There's enough speed to stay with WR's or TE's a as well as bring the heat to the QB from either side.

The bills had offers from the Broncos, Eagles, and Vikings. The Broncos wanted Cutler, and offered their first, the 4th pick of the 2nd round, and a 4th round pick. The Eagles wanted Bunkley, but I never heard what they offered. I never heard who the Vikings wanted or what they offered. The best offer offer of the three was the Broncos, which was reported by Peter King after the draft. The bills passed because they thought either the lions would take Whitner at 9 or the ravens at 12. Mortenson reported after the draft that the Lions loved Sims, and would not have taken Whitner. The Ravens would have taken Whitner if Ngata was unavailable. So looking back, they bills could have traded down and still picked Whitner. If this occurred they probably do not trade up, since McCargo probably would have been there in the early stages of round 2. To answer your question, I feel they could trade down if a top qb prospect was on the clock in April. I hope however, that they select a qb if a good one is available.

Use Whitner in your everyday speech. When you overpay for something you won't get any significant use out of, it's called "drafting a Whitner." i.e. My friend chose to buy HDDVDs instead of Blue ray discs, he sure did draft a Whitner.

I'm not convinced the Bills have traded down, in any draft in any round, since 2001. Can't prove it though - anybody remember otherwise? No first-round trades down is one thing, but apparently, we've never fielded offers later in the weekend, either.

The trade down I remember was a trade with the Bucs so they could take OL Kenyatta Walker. Bills picked Nate Clements later, picked up a 2nd rounder. Was that used for Travis Henry perhaps?

On the contrary, I believe there are a few people here who actually do want them to lose.

Maybe, but imo some of the best posters are those who are the most fed up. Ya gotta admit, some of the screen names of the downtrodden fans are just so funny! :D After a loss, there was once a dialogue between posters called, "Tortured Soul" and "Pass the Pipe."