Defensive Adjustments or new coordinator

To say the Bills defense has played well of late may be somewhat true but it is not as though the Browns were that high up the offensive charts. It was sure looking like a long day on that first drive and the weather was pointing to a running type of game. With that in mind, Edwards deserves credit for his adjustments. That part of the defense has been impressive.

There should be firings this year however. Whether it is Lewis in Cinnci or possibly Mangini in Cleve. There may be better defensive coordinators out there and the thing that I remember was that the Bills were late on hiring a coach and the trickle down moved to the coordinators. It is not as though he is doing a terrible job but there may be better ones available in an other month.

It likely depends far more on internal team dynamics that us outsiders cannot really know than it depends upon statistical achievement which we outsiders can measure.

The statistical outcomes are a crucial indicator of things (if they cannot adjust to stop the run they simply cannot and if that were the case some heads should certainly role be it the DC if the problem is strategy or players if the problem is execution.

However, the indicators say that this team is actually capable of making adjustments on the fly (the DC part) and implementing those changes effectively (the player part).

Thia is a necessary showing but not necessarily sufficient in that making these changes against a horrible opponent in late season at home is no where near a certainty that such approaches can be done sustainably across and entire season.

A lot has to do on whether you trust Gailey to make a good judgment as to whether and the D have the chemistry to do well when reinforced with whatever the draft, FA, and trade can give us this offseason to reinforce the team.

If the concentration in the draft is on improving the D (either with a stud pass rusher or a stud LB then I am comfortable with Edwards.

If however, the focus is on once again tilting at the windmill of trying to get a franchise QB to replace Fitzy then it seems clear to me that we will need some other strategic vision on D to get this done with what we got.

I was impressed with Edwards ability to make changes on the fly with the cutrate talent we have on D. However, uif there is not a focus on getting more talent on D then this team needs some savior to come in and not simply adjust on the fly but to create some D miracle with limited talent even before the game gets underway.

A couple of DL and LB that can rush the QB will make Edwards a better coach.

Probably but I would like to see a lot more agressiveness. I would love to Get Vic Fangio out of Stanford, who coached in the NFL for 25 and many with the Ravens. His blitzes are very creative and deceptive and base D is good too.

Probably but I would like to see a lot more agressiveness. I would love to Get Vic Fangio out of Stanford, who coached in the NFL for 25 and many with the Ravens. His blitzes are very creative and deceptive and base D is good too.

I agree but with the players we right now I don't think much of that is possible. Even when we blitz we have a hard time getting pressure. Moats is starting to show that ability and I think with better players Edwards would be more aggressive. Not really trying to defend Edwards.....

This is idol speculation mind you...

I think Chan has earned a lot of respect within the organization (i.e. Ralph) and he'll be given an opportunity to let his pick for DC have a shot next year with an improved roster. Despite the 3-10 record, Nix/Gailey inspire more confidence than any GM/Coach combo we've had on the carousel in a decade. If we see it, I've got to believe it's seen that way within the organization as well. My guess, Edwards gets another year with more tools at his disposal to see what he can do.

Edited by shoveldog

The switch to a D that is closer to a 4-3 than a 3-4 definitely seemed to help. Edwards at least seemed to see that and was willing to adapt his playbook to fit his players. If they get a few more people that can help out on the rushes and he keeps adapting to their strengths, then I say let him keep the job. He seems to be taking a lesson from Gailey and adapting his plays to his team rather than the other way around.

Defense is very reactionary. What do we do is the reciever goes in motion in this formation? Am i supposed to go right or left? Do i fill this gap or that gap? Are we supposed to check to a zone here?

Learning a new scheme is difficult on a QB, why wouldnt it be for the defense? The D has improved, sacks are up, turnovers are up, and run D is better

Why are we firing the cordinator now? The D is starting to get it, If anything im more optimistic about george edwards than i was just two months ago. I think he will be a fine D cordinator.

Look at what Fewell is doing with his new talent in NY....Maybe it has more to do with a lack of talent on the front 7 than the cordinator

To say the Bills defense has played well of late may be somewhat true but it is not as though the Browns were that high up the offensive charts. It was sure looking like a long day on that first drive and the weather was pointing to a running type of game. With that in mind, Edwards deserves credit for his adjustments. That part of the defense has been impressive.

There should be firings this year however. Whether it is Lewis in Cinnci or possibly Mangini in Cleve. There may be better defensive coordinators out there and the thing that I remember was that the Bills were late on hiring a coach and the trickle down moved to the coordinators. It is not as though he is doing a terrible job but there may be better ones available in an other month.

funny though when other teams shut down bad offenses all we hear is how good "their" defense was

I agree but with the players we right now I don't think much of that is possible. Even when we blitz we have a hard time getting pressure. Moats is starting to show that ability and I think with better players Edwards would be more aggressive. Not really trying to defend Edwards.....

Agreed. Not saying I love Edwards, still not sure. But, I think, as the season has progressed, so too has the defense. It seems like they are limited by the talent (particularly at linebacker)...IIRC it was kind of the same under Perry Fewell.

Considering how well we have played the last 5 weeks – which is 3-4 weeks afer going to the 4-3 as the base D – we have been playing very well. I really think they have improved and have found some players in Moats and Carrington, they are letting Poz use his strengths and not exposing his weaknesses, and are finding just how great KW can be. I think sticking with a 4 man front with Moats at Sam, Poz in the middle or weakside, and adding another LB to the core is a great move. We also need some DEs desperately and Kelsay is still killing us IMO.

I really liked our D alignment last week and think if we could draft Bowers or Quinn to play DE, and add another LB like Von Miler, we could be looking good.

That can ONLY be interpreted to mean that you think Miami and Chad Henne are gonna light up the Bills defense.

Okay. I'll put you down for that prediction.

I think he's looking into the next next week, not the conversation next week after this week's game :)

It SEEMS the Bills D is improving. That's to be expected as they familiarize themselves to the scheme.

However, Cleveland was in no way a true test. And Miami and the Jets have been sputtering big time so even if we hold them down, it's no big accomplishment.

The true test will come against New England.

Defense is very reactionary. What do we do is the reciever goes in motion in this formation? Am i supposed to go right or left? Do i fill this gap or that gap? Are we supposed to check to a zone here?

Learning a new scheme is difficult on a QB, why wouldnt it be for the defense? The D has improved, sacks are up, turnovers are up, and run D is better

Why are we firing the cordinator now? The D is starting to get it, If anything im more optimistic about george edwards than i was just two months ago. I think he will be a fine D cordinator.

Look at what Fewell is doing with his new talent in NY....Maybe it has more to do with a lack of talent on the front 7 than the cordinator

i'm thinking you call for the guy's head when you know that he has good-to-above-average talent and squanders the opportunity to have an impact-defense. or, perhaps, you call for his head when the defensive alignment is not suited for the players he has to work with, and he fails to make adjustments. i'm hard-pressed to call for a guy's head to roll when he starts the season with a defensive scheme that may include some mismatched players beyond his control, fails to adjust on the fly or learn on the job, or doesn't noticably squander talent and opportunity. it just seems to me that when you have a coaching carousel non-stop over time, you're constantly playing catch-up and always behind the 8 ball. That said--if dick lebeau becomes available, you probably grab him.

i like the coaching style of chan gailey, i like his adaptability and have opted to trust his judgement here. it's good to know if the defense struggles again next year i'll have something to complain about.