Famous Bills Hits

In the 1963? or 64? AFL Championship game, Bills Linebacker Mike Stratten hit Chargers running back Keith Lincoln as he was trying to catch a flare pass. Stratten broke a few of Lincoln's ribs as he was knocked out of the game. Turned the whole momentum of the game in favour of the Bills. Bills win the championship. The question: In your opinion, how significant was Moats' hit on Favre last week, now that he won't start tonight?

In the 1963? or 64? AFL Championship game, Bills Linebacker Mike Stratten hit Chargers running back Keith Lincoln as he was trying to catch a flare pass. Stratten broke a few of Lincoln's ribs as he was knocked out of the game. Turned the whole momentum of the game in favour of the Bills. Bills win the championship. The question: In your opinion, how significant was Moats' hit on Favre last week, now that he won't start tonight?

That was a pretty significant hit, because Brett Farve will quite possibly never start another game in the NFL.

Moats knocks Farve out of the game, and the Bills go on get get blown out. In terms out the outcome of the game, the hit was meaningless

I would argue it hurt the Bills in that game. They might have had a chance had Favre been able to stay in the game.

But for historic value, it is a pretty significant hit.

Quite significant, but your your thread title seems to point to an invitation to discuss other famous Bills hits. And given that, how about the time that dude from Atlanta picked off Kelly, and Jimbo tackled him and broke his leg?

Does anyone remember that hit that John Hagy laid on somebody back in '89? I've seen it on highlight films from time to time.

Quite significant, but your your thread title seems to point to an invitation to discuss other famous Bills hits. And given that, how about the time that dude from Atlanta picked off Kelly, and Jimbo tackled him and broke his leg?

i would LLLLLLLOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE to see this if anyone has a link

on the bills documentary they were talking about cookie gilchrist... i guess he had one guy to beat (vs patriots) , and instead of any deek he just plowed the dude over unconcious. one of my favorite stories on the dvd, i guess when he was jogging back to the sideline his teammates were trying to revive him and he said "who the f*** wants to be next"

!964 - The Stratton hit kick-started our team to win the Championship game. The Chargers literally died when Lincoln was scraped off the field.

The Moats hit was not nearly as good and we got clobbered by a back up.

These hits should never be mentioned in the same breath.

Bruce Smith hitting Boomer Esiason in a Jets game. Bruce anticipated the snp, beat the tackle badly and knocked Esiason out. Later on I saw Esiason being interviewed and they asked him what he remembered about the game and he said "Getting off the bus"

!964 - The Stratton hit kick-started our team to win the Championship game. The Chargers literally died when Lincoln was scraped off the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFAmql22hG8

Does anyone remember that hit that John Hagy laid on somebody back in '89? I've seen it on highlight films from time to time.

Irving Fryer!

Bob Smith has the photo on ebay just prior to Stratton laying the lumber.

It was '64 - "The hit heard round the world" Still the best hit in Bills History, completely changed the momentum of the game and the team.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/StrattonTacklesLincoln.jpg

Why not? The Stratten hit was significant in its own way. Moats' hit has helped shape NFL hitory. The consecutive game streak is at 297. A record that will likely never be broken. Its not at 280, or 310 or whatever. Its at 297 because a Bill made the hit that put him out for the following game. How many thousands of times did he drop back to pass or scramble and that streak could have ended? Furthermore, and this remains to be seen yet, but the injury from Moats' hit may be the final straw that influences Favre to retire. One play can change a game, lone play can shape NFL history.

Thanks Promo for providing that link.

Agree!!! The Stranton hit on Lincoln is why the Bills Won the AFL Championship and that Bills team probably would beat the NFL champs.

That was a famous play. I believe they called it "The Shot Heard Around The World"

Bruce Smith hitting Boomer Esiason in a Jets game. Bruce anticipated the snp, beat the tackle badly and knocked Esiason out. Later on I saw Esiason being interviewed and they asked him what he remembered about the game and he said "Getting off the bus"

My first Bills game at Rich Stadium! I could hear the hit up in the 330 level. We thought he was dead. I remember he laid there for like 10 minutes before they got him up on his feet...

My first Bills game at Rich Stadium! I could hear the hit up in the 330 level. We thought he was dead. I remember he laid there for like 10 minutes before they got him up on his feet...

I stended that game. That was truly one hell of hit. I had seats way way up at the top of the stadium and I felt it myself. Its a wonder Boomer ever got up. I remember one in a playoff game against Kansas City where Joe Montana got the living hell knocked out of him. I want to say Darryl Talley, but I just don't remember who hit him.

I think it was Cornelius Bennett that knocked out Joe Montana for good... 2 of the all time greats.. Montana and Favre... have their careers end at the hands of a Bills linebacker..

FWIW, It was a Smith, Wright and Hanson gang tackle. He hit his head on the turf.

Why not? The Stratten hit was significant in its own way. Moats' hit has helped shape NFL hitory. The consecutive game streak is at 297. A record that will likely never be broken. Its not at 280, or 310 or whatever. Its at 297 because a Bill made the hit that put him out for the following game. How many thousands of times did he drop back to pass or scramble and that streak could have ended? Furthermore, and this remains to be seen yet, but the injury from Moats' hit may be the final straw that influences Favre to retire. One play can change a game, lone play can shape NFL history.

Thanks Promo for providing that link.

Shaped NFL history? What shaping will it do? Farve's streak ended and Bills fans will have that hit in their history but really, is it that important?

Does anyone remember the hit on Johnny Unitas that sent him to the bench in favor of Earl Morrall?

Even with todays grossly overblown media coverage I do not see this as shaping NFL history. Signicant yes but in a limited way. Sorry.

I think it was Cornelius Bennett that knocked out Joe Montana for good... 2 of the all time greats.. Montana and Favre... have their careers end at the hands of a Bills linebacker..

Not to nitpick, but Montana came back for the 1994 season with the Chiefs.

Wouldn't want you to lose money on a trivia bet.

GO BILLS!!!

Stratton's hit is four or five levels above any other hit ever made by any buffalo bill in the team's history. It is the hit that gave us an AFL championship.

I agree.

Shaped NFL history? What shaping will it do? Farve's streak ended and Bills fans will have that hit in their history but really, is it that important?

Does anyone remember the hit on Johnny Unitas that sent him to the bench in favor of Earl Morrall?

Even with todays grossly overblown media coverage I do not see this as shaping NFL history. Signicant yes but in a limited way. Sorry.

Ok, that's your opinion.

Shaped NFL history? What shaping will it do? Farve's streak ended

You answered your own question!

The longest starting streak by an NFL QB is now ended. Like it or not, that will probably be discussed more in the media than any previous Bills hit.

I agree it isn't very significant from the Bills' point of view. But the national media seems to care very little about the AFL days of the Buffalo Bills and quite a bit about Brett Favre's streak.

Moats will get his 15 minutes of fame for the hit, but will still be remembered whenever the streak is discussed, which unfortunately will be far more often than the Bills fate in 1964. And he'll be the answer to an oft-asked trivia question.