Obviously Bills Are Going Defense With First Pick

BuffaloBaumer

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of what you write here is remotely correct, true or accurate.

If you had a re-draft of those QB's mentioned, they would fall where they fell to begin with because scouts (contrary to your beliefs) have basically assessed these players as such due to their performances in college combined with the projected outlook of progression for those QB's.

Scouts had absolutely zero to do with those QB's success. Coaching, Offensive philosophy and game plan, type of offensive, talent around those QB's and patience had everthing to do with thier individual developments.

QB us consistantly overlooked at the draft, depending on which is the greater need at a given position, type of system or scheme that is being run or F.O. preferrence. This logic you use makes no sense once again, given the fact that QB's are drafted from round 1 to the end of the draft. No fact has been lost on the fanbase, you, apparantly, are just used to the last 15 years or so of the Bills.

Whether or not Gailey and Nix believe Fitz is a franchise QB is completely irrelavent to who they will decide to choose on draft day.

Fitz has already proven he can play, and although I'm no fan of Fitz, the driving factor for Gailey and Nix is going to be positions of "NEED". Do they need that franchise QB this draft if Luck is taken before they pick? Of course not.

Like the author of the OP said, they'll go defense. They know what they need to improve the teams overall performance, and right now, QB isn't critical, defense is, specifically OLB and DE.

Right... :doh:

Would an entirely different strategy work? I've been talking about 9 players who today would be considered Franchise QBs

R1 - Vick(x), Rivers(x), Rodgers(x), Roethlisberger(x), Flacco(x), PManning(x), Ryan(x)

R2 - Brees(x)

R6 - Brady(x)

What would it take to target one of the younger ones, that still have 8+ years left... Rivers, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Flacco or Ryan

Could any of them be had in a trade? Fitzpatrick plus 2 first rounders, this year's will be a top 7 most likely. We need a TE and maybe RT, but otherwise our offense is greatly improved. We obviously need defenders, which would be day 1 picks plus target 1-2 FA

Is that a good strategy?

Would you make a trade like that?

Would anyone trade with us?

First of all, I don't think any of those qb's would be traded by their teams.

Secondly, if you haven't noticed, we have a pretty good qb at the moment. And unless Fitzpatrick mysteriously digresses in the last 3 games, why in the world would you disrupt the team by yanking away their starting qb? You would lose the locker room and all that he has developed with his recievers, especially Stevie.

So with that and the fact of losing fitz and 2 first rounders, I don't think that's a good strategy at all. If there's a qb we really like at where we pick, I think it would be fine to pick him so long as we keep fitz and let the draft pick sit and learn. But as far as I am concerned, we are good at qb with fitz and brohm on the back burner, I really don't see how we don't grab the best defensive player available when we pick.

Please no Cam-arcus Newton.

Cam Newton and JaMarcus Russell are in NO WAY comparable outside of complexion and being from the South. Period.

No work ethic issues with Newton. Newton is infinitely more mobile. Newton has displayed leadership qualities Russell never displayed. Netwon plays best in big games regardless of pressure off the field. Newton is more accurate. Russell had a cannon for an arm. Netwon has a strong arm.

Edited by purple haze

Secondly, if you haven't noticed, we have a pretty good qb at the moment. And unless Fitzpatrick mysteriously digresses in the last 3 games, why in the world would you disrupt the team by yanking away their starting qb? You would lose the locker room and all that he has developed with his recievers, especially Stevie.

Drafting a rookie does not mean yanking Fitz. Fitz is and should be the starter for the next couple years whether or not we draft a rookie. But if we draft someone high like luck, that does not mean we take fitz out. It means we develop him and let him learn from fitz. A lot of their style is pretty similar. It would be a match made in heaven.

People are going to say Luck might turn into a bust.... well so can fitz next year. I bet the QB position would be complety taken care of for sure if we had both of them. Because I can't imagine them both crapping out. Then again, with our curse, who knows. But I have seen too many Qbs have 1 good year and then nothing.... so saying the QB position is set with Fitz makes me nervous. However, Luck is the only one I would take in the first round. Newton and Locker would be better for the 2nd round, but probably won't be there. And I don't want mallet now.

Chan clearly knows how to coach these Qbs and although Fitz is the starter next year, Chan will pick the future QB in 2 or 3. At this point, I don't even care which one he picks because Chan obviously knows the type of guy that works. This will be the first time in his career (I believe) where he can hand pick his student. I think this means nothing but good things as they load up the lines in FA and the draft this year.

another QB post. what is it with you guys? here we have a QB who just turned 28 in november, who's on pace to throw 25tds in 14 games..runs chans offfense very well...shows toughness and leadership..and you're worried about drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round? It would probably take any QB in the 2nd or 3rd round 3-4 years to get to the level that Fitz is at now..at best. And in 3-4 years, Fitz will still only be 31/32. What's the point? Chan already found his guy imo.

another QB post. what is it with you guys? here we have a QB who just turned 28 in november, who's on pace to throw 25tds in 14 games..runs chans offfense very well...shows toughness and leadership..and you're worried about drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round? It would probably take any QB in the 2nd or 3rd round 3-4 years to get to the level that Fitz is at now..at best. And in 3-4 years, Fitz will still only be 31/32. What's the point? Chan already found his guy imo.

When he has more than one good year, then I will trust the next 8-10 years to him. But with all the QBs that have just one good year and have a huge decline later, it is quite a gamble to assume he is the QB for us for the long haul.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

When he has more than one good year, then I will trust the next 8-10 years to him. But with all the QBs that have just one good year and have a huge decline later, it is quite a gamble to assume he is the QB for us for the long haul.

Fitz can be a good fill in the gap quarterback but we need a project for the future

So with that and the fact of losing fitz and 2 first rounders, I don't think that's a good strategy at all. If there's a qb we really like at where we pick, I think it would be fine to pick him so long as we keep fitz and let the draft pick sit and learn. But as far as I am concerned, we are good at qb with fitz and brohm on the back burner, I really don't see how we don't grab the best defensive player available when we pick.

You make a good point. This line of conversation was started based on people wanting to draft QBs next year. I do like what I see from Fitz. I'd think the test on him may be the coming 3 games. Both the Dolphins and Jets have been pretty "middle of the road" lately. I think he needs to look good against both and beat at least one of them to go into the off-season as a convincing choice. If we wilt in the last three games, in the division, then that will be telling.

The next three games make or break this discussion...

Your point is well taken, but Brady was a 6th rounder, and I belive Romo was undrafted...

Yeah. I should have better worded my sentence before the list. I was going for any quarterback that wasn't drafted in the first round.

I don't have much confidence in the Bills F.O. bringing in any quality O line people. They have just never been able to do it. And

look how bad the D line draft has been.

There has to BE quality people avalable to pick up, they're not just hanging out on the street corner. Give the Bills FO credit for continuing to bring in people to try to fit their system. They are finding depth right now, and possibly a starter. I just hope they dont sit on their hands in the offseason. We still need help on both sides early and often!

CJ was the best player out there by the F O statement last draft. We all still question that i think. Well alot of us anyways.

I do not think they will use that attitude again. Or explanation i suppose.

I think they will draft for what system they are trying to put in place. We know they want a franchise qb, but is the best one for us available at this pick or even this year.

They are changing the defense and do not have the personnel do make that a solid 3-4. We have complained alot about George E early on but i can see he is working it now.

I vote defensive players.

Also, will we see Levi this season?

We know the want a franchise qb? I haven't heard anyone from OBD come out and say they are going after a franchise qb this year. I would argue that they are very pleased with and believe in Fitz. As such, they are going after defense.

Who are all of these quarterbacks that you mention?

Who are all of these quarterbacks that you mention?

Off the top of my head?

We got the obvious and most recent, derrick anderson. Had a pro bowl year a couple years ago, now he is an NFL Joke.

Bulger, had a probowl year back in.... 07 I think? Where is he now? Is he the future of the rams? I hear they have a great QB.

There is this guy losman who had like 20 TDs for the bills one year... pretty respectable for a young QB... next year, he had like 3 TDs and 6 inceptions or something like that.... where is he now? Is he the future of the bills?

Just last year, this matt moore guy had 5 good games with the panthers. he has played 5 games this year as well. Is he the future of the panthers?

How about that Vince Young? He had a probowl season his rookie year, is he looking like the long term answer in QB for the titans?

Alex Smith had a decent season last year, but has struggled to keep his starting job this year.

Have you never heard of these guys?

We know the want a franchise qb? I haven't heard anyone from OBD come out and say they are going after a franchise qb this year.

Ummm, Ralph said we would. Although it was in the beginning of the season, Ralph said QB will be the #1 priority in this year's coming draft. And he is the one who calls the shots. He was likely the one dictating that Edwards start the season. I find it very hard to believe that was solely Chan's decision.

And yet, amazingly enough, there are idiots just drooling to trust the next 8-10 years to a PAC 10 red-shirt sophomore that just turned 21 - and throw him $50M or so before he ever tries on an NFL helmet :wallbash:

All this QB talk. It's interesting about 16 weeks ago the place was populated with the word Brohm. Whatever happened to that guy...

You must not have heard what Chan Gailey said 16 weeks ago - " Trent Edwards is our starter - he's earned it. "

Now that the real starter has emerged (after Gailey's ridiculous charade of a 3-way competition determined that Edwards was our best QB :rolleyes:), it will be interesting to see if the Bills tender an offer to RFA Brohm after the season ends. I still think he's rife with potential.

And yet, amazingly enough, there are idiots just drooling to trust the next 8-10 years to a PAC 10 red-shirt sophomore that just turned 21 - and throw him $50M or so before he ever tries on an NFL helmet :wallbash:

...and there are people who had hoped to throw an NFL coaching job to a B12 guy with a gimmick offense (yet successful) who like Pirates who happens to still be unemployed, despite public pleas to be considered for various jobs. It takes all types.

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman