Back from the game

TPS

Some post game musings after a long day of tailgating...

Nothing worse than cold and rainy, but not as bad as predicted. Probably 40% of the seats were filled today, but a fairly entertaining game.

first, a few things I disliked. I did not like that constant Jackson-spiller trade off. Seemed neither back was able to get going until finally the 4th quarter which was Jackson's time, and he always seems to shine. I hate the 5-wide formation in short yardage. It seems to be a really dumb strategy. Delhomme sucked. A good QB and McKelvin is burned, instead it was an INT. Good for the Bills though.

The O-line looked pretty decent. A similar in and out going on at LG with Howard and Reinhart(?). Wood looked good at center. This could be a turning point; I'd like to see him stay there.

Fitz was great on the runs; really took a hit on the one though.

I watched Nelson on the TD as he was matched up with an LB. The safety tried to get over, but the throw and catch were things of beauty. I also happened to focus on Moats with the fumble, and was yelling "it was a fumble" after it was initially called incomplete. The D was solid in the red zone, and made key stops on a few 3rd downs. A pretty good showing overall, even though the Browns had absolutely no passing game with Delhomme.

I am still of the mindset that the first 2 picks in the next draft should be DL and LB. I think this year's draft class has provided a solid foundation moving forward though.

I am still of the mindset that the first 2 picks in the next draft should be DL and LB. I think this year's draft class has provided a solid foundation moving forward though.

I've seen this a few times and I don't really get it. Didn't the Bills just draft a NT and DE? Plus they have a pro-bowler in Williams and another solid starter in Edwards. I can see bringing in some later round guys for depth and rotations, but not in the first two rounds.

I've seen this a few times and I don't really get it. Didn't the Bills just draft a NT and DE? Plus they have a pro-bowler in Williams and another solid starter in Edwards. I can see bringing in some later round guys for depth and rotations, but not in the first two rounds.

Agreed. The problem is the LBs. Keep Moats; everyone else should go. poz makes way too many mistakes in the run game.

I think Stroud is near the end of the line. Edwards is good. Johnson is a good backup. Carrington will start next year and should be good. Troup is good, but I think we need a top 10 playmaker on the line and a few studs at LB.

Dried out at the Blue Monk cable lady.

Agreed. The problem is the LBs. Keep Moats; everyone else should go. poz makes way too many mistakes in the run game.

Are you joking? You don't want to keep Kyle Williams? The problem is more than our LB's, its the combo of our LB's/DE's. Poz does not make too many mistakes in the running game, he is the only player on our defense (other than Kyle) that consistently is cleaning up the messes that the other 9 people on defense cause.

Are you joking? You don't want to keep Kyle Williams? The problem is more than our LB's, its the combo of our LB's/DE's. Poz does not make too many mistakes in the running game, he is the only player on our defense (other than Kyle) that consistently is cleaning up the messes that the other 9 people on defense cause.

I meant all the LBs can go. I think the d-line is solid and Williams is spectacular.

poz gets caught out of position and swallowed up way too much. I'm pretty sure it's not the DEs that are blowing their gaps when poz overpursues by a mile.

I don't understand why the refs keep blowing close plays dead. Cost us a touchdown today...... let it play out and then let them challenge it.

While the call did indeed cost us a touchdown I don't agree with let the let it play out and challenge it. In college maybe where all plays are reviewed but in the pros you only get two challenges...what if they have already been used? Or if it is early and you don't want to spen one? Call them as you see them, or change to the college rule where the booth can review all plays.

While the call did indeed cost us a touchdown I don't agree with let the let it play out and challenge it. In college maybe where all plays are reviewed but in the pros you only get two challenges...what if they have already been used? Or if it is early and you don't want to spen one? Call them as you see them, or change to the college rule where the booth can review all plays.

You got it right there. Put an official in the booth with a 50" HD flat screen TV. As soon as there is a close play, he calls to the field and stops the play. A review should take 30 seconds. If we can see it so can they.

I'm more apt to believe you rather than the reported figure of 50,800 something. I think someone was spinning the turnstyles to inflate the attendance.

Was at the game like always. Even 40% might be generous. No way in Hades was there 50 thousand fans at the game unless the whole lower bowl sideline seats on the Bills side were full (IM in the Paul McGuire club so can't see the seats below). The Jim Kelly club section might have had 200 fans max. The far uppper deck maybe had a thou...maybe less. Drove right in today no wait. Parking lots had plenty of parking; in fact don't remember them being as empty for a regular season game in many moons

Maybe the Bills front office stole a page from the Rigas way of counting fans. Ater attending a Sabres game many years ago that was about 2/3 full, the announced attendence in the paper the next day was the same as every previous game 16,433..a sellout.

I think Stroud is near the end of the line. Edwards is good. Johnson is a good backup. Carrington will start next year and should be good. Troup is good, but I think we need a top 10 playmaker on the line and a few studs at LB.

Dried out at the Blue Monk cable lady.

We have the #1 playmaker in all of football at DT in Kyle Williams, according to Pro Football Focus. He is also currently their defensive player of the year leader. Williams is also far and away their best run defender as a DT, and there are only 2 other players in the NFL at DT that have more than half the total points Williams does this year(+41.7). Williams has a +32.4 grade against the run, and the only other player with a grade even half that much is Aubrayo Franklin with a +20.0. 41 out of his league leading 46 tackles for DT's he has on the season have been defensive stops...plays that constitute an offensive failure.

So, in short, we already have one of the best playmakers in football at the DT position, we need to build around him...

Pro Football Focus Stories of the Season: Kyle Williams

Pro Football Focus: Defensive Player of The Year Race

I'm more apt to believe you rather than the reported figure of 50,800 something. I think someone was spinning the turnstyles to inflate the attendance.

There were probably fifty something thousand tickets sold. I believe they go by tickets sold, not the number of people that actually showed up to use them. Could be wrong though.

Edited by purple haze