BLZFAN4LIFE

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too too tough to figure it out....

BRADY

FITZ

Maybe now people will try and understand why many fans want Luck so badly......

Except that Brady was a 6th rounder and Luck will be #1 overall. Also can you guarantee Luck will be every bit as good as Brady? This is what drives me nuts about all this Luck crap. No one knows how good Luck will be.

PTR

And my point is pretty darn simple. Find the franchise QB whether you stumble upon blind luck (no pun intended) or pick in the first round. I would rather take my chances on drafting Luck than wallow in mediocrity for another 15 years. My original point was Brady vs Fitz....hmmmmmm

Oh. Sorry. I thought your original point was

" Maybe now people will try and understand why many fans want Luck so badly...... "

My bad. :doh:

Except that Brady was a 6th rounder and Luck will be #1 overall. Also can you guarantee Luck will be every bit as good as Brady? This is what drives me nuts about all this Luck crap. No one knows how good Luck will be.

PTR

No one knows how good ANY player drafted at ANY spot in the draft will be. THAT'S the ridiculous part of your argument.

Use logic. If QB is the most important position on the field (which it is) and if all draft prospects at any position are a gamble (which they are), then how is it MORE of a gamble to take the top rated QB in the draft when you have the opportunity?

Answer: Money. People are terrified of getting a Russell or Leaf. But that's chicken little thinking. The truth is, if the Bills pick 3rd, and they get Luck (which won't happen, but this is hypothetical), he'll get a huge contract that will be expensive if he tanks. But WHOEVER they pick at 3 will get a huge contract who will be expensive if they tank.

But, if the QB proves to be a true franchise QB, that price is worth it. If the LT/DE/LB you take at three is a pro bowler, he MAY be worth the high price tag ... or, as has been shown at other positions (RB, WR to name two), you can get equal production for less cost with 2 or 3 lesser "caliber" players.

That's just not the case at QB.

Their line is so-much better than the Bills too. Brady never feels the heat.

Just a well run organization from the owner on down. Plus they hit the jackpot with Brady. Plus they got Belechick when no one else wanted him. Pioli was terrific as GM. Plus they have awesome scouts who have been with the team forever. Constrast that with the Bills, who have great fan support but are strictly minor league in every other respect and have an absentee owner. Bob Kraft is head and shoulders over Ralph Wilson. He changed it all. The Bills need a local owner like Kraft. And an economy that can support a first rate organization and facilities. Neither one does or can exist in my opinion. Buffalo is Akron. Boston is major league. Buffalo is strictly minor league. Just the way it is. The Kelly era was a one time flash in the pan. Great, but really cannot be replicated in today's big money, big facilities, rock star NFL. Buffalo is kind of a homey, clubby franchise, which is fine. The good teams are well run by professionals and have the money to invest in their franchises. The homey, clubby franchises get blasted more times than not by the pros. Just the way it is. Be happy there is even a NFL franchise in a lovable to be sure but minor league place like Buffalo.

No one knows how good ANY player drafted at ANY spot in the draft will be. THAT'S the ridiculous part of your argument.

Use logic. If QB is the most important position on the field (which it is) and if all draft prospects at any position are a gamble (which they are), then how is it MORE of a gamble to take the top rated QB in the draft when you have the opportunity?

Answer: Money. People are terrified of getting a Russell or Leaf. But that's chicken little thinking. The truth is, if the Bills pick 3rd, and they get Luck (which won't happen, but this is hypothetical), he'll get a huge contract that will be expensive if he tanks. But WHOEVER they pick at 3 will get a huge contract who will be expensive if they tank.

But, if the QB proves to be a true franchise QB, that price is worth it. If the LT/DE/LB you take at three is a pro bowler, he MAY be worth the high price tag ... or, as has been shown at other positions (RB, WR to name two), you can get equal production for less cost with 2 or 3 lesser "caliber" players.

That's just not the case at QB.

You also ignore the role coaching plays in QB development. Brady may have been cut years ago if he wasn't developed by Billy Bellicheat, not to mention a solid offensive line. At least we have Chan Gailey who is a good offensive coach, but we still have to develop a better O-line.

Luck could be great, but the odds of a #1 QB living up to the hype is 35-45% It's not the slam dunk everyone thinks it is. Every year without fail there are QBs that are touted as can't-miss superstars and every year most of them flop.

PTR

There is no doubt that Brady is the key player to their franchise's success over the past decade. But what allows the Pats to sustain their success is that they have a tremendous organization. Two of their top front office staff, Pioli (KC) and Dimitroff (Atlanta), went to other teams and have helped those organizations in relatively short order become serious teams.

It starts with a good owner who recognizes the importance of investing in staffing his organization with talent. Bill Belichick someday is going to be inducted into the HOF. What has helped him become the face of a successful franchise is that he has a lot of quality people behind the scene in the organization helping identify talent.

A lot of people constantly lament the fact that Buffalo is a small market team and doesn't have the resources of some of the richer franchises. That isn't the source of our franchise's failure. The Patriots are not a spendthrift team. They make a lot of tough talent/money decisions. Some examples are letting Branch (reacquired),Seymour and Moss and getting draft picks for them. They have released high end talent such as Law and Milloy because they decided that their contract demands didn't fit in with the team's cap structure.

The Pats consistently win because as an organization they make a lot of wise decisions. The Bills consistently lose because as an organization they make a lot of foolish decisions. The Pats are a model for the right way to run a football operation. The Bills are a model for the inept way to run a football operation.

Exactly right. It starts with ownership, then the GM, then the coach, then the scouting. Get this right and you probably end up drafting the best players and putting them in position to win.

Buffalo can't do this because of what's at the top right now. But neither can most NFL teams; there are only a few Pioli/Belichecks around. I still like Nix and Gailey however and will give them a year or so, then maybe the young, assistant GM from pittsburgh will take over.

You also ignore the role coaching plays in QB development. Brady may have been cut years ago if he wasn't developed by Billy Bellicheat, not to mention a solid offensive line. At least we have Chan Gailey who is a good offensive coach, but we still have to develop a better O-line.

Luck could be great, but the odds of a #1 QB living up to the hype is 35-45% It's not the slam dunk everyone thinks it is. Every year without fail there are QBs that are touted as can't-miss superstars and every year most of them flop.

PTR

Don't get me wrong, Promo, as much as I'm clamoring for this team getting a Franchise QB, I don't have any notion that it's a magic elixir that will instantly cure all this team's woes. There are lots of elements needed that this team does not currently have ... but finding that rare Franchise QB is the TOUGHEST thing to do. Hence why it's at the top of my shopping list.

I know I'm in the minority that thinks Fitz isn't that guy, and that's fine. I hope he IS that guy and that I'm proven wrong. I'd happily admit to being wrong.

End of the day, all I want is to see this team win a Super Bowl. Just like everyone else. I just happen to think you cannot accomplish that in the modern NFL without that Franchise QB. Get him. However you have to. It's worth the risk ... you know?

The Pats are a wonderful football organization from top to bottom, and are deserving of the utmost respect for their excellence and remarkable achievement. It probably all starts with Robert Kraft, who understands that being in the football business is to a large extent also being in the people business and his personnel decisions have proven that he is very, very good at it. Bellichek is a great coach and has developed a very successful system, notably of course on the offensive side of the ball. Brady is one of the best ever at his position, but he also has the benefit of a truly wonderful OLine and a high percentage system/gameplan that any number of less gifted QBs would be successful in. Its a copycat league so lets try to emulate the things they do right.

Just love it the way everybody knows pretty much exactly what they are going to do, and just can't stop them. But knowing what they will do suggests to me that they can be gameplanned, and can be stopped. I think the Charger's defence might well b up to the task. Perhaps we will get to see.

Having said all that, I don't want Tom Brady to retire or go down with injury. I want him to play, or attempt to play, to the best of his formidable ability. And I want to clean his friggin clock. I have a lot of confidence in Chan and Buddy, and I for one believe we will get there.

Pats are able to get draft picks for extra parts they can do without. we can't trade anyone for anything of value from our roster. That being siad our picks would be better if we just read any online drfat services rating sor even the Sporting News stuff. Our guys always oick earlier than expected for the so called "diamond in the rought" players, especially those that played low level competition in college.

Don't get me wrong, Promo, as much as I'm clamoring for this team getting a Franchise QB, I don't have any notion that it's a magic elixir that will instantly cure all this team's woes. There are lots of elements needed that this team does not currently have ... but finding that rare Franchise QB is the TOUGHEST thing to do. Hence why it's at the top of my shopping list.

I know I'm in the minority that thinks Fitz isn't that guy, and that's fine. I hope he IS that guy and that I'm proven wrong. I'd happily admit to being wrong.

End of the day, all I want is to see this team win a Super Bowl. Just like everyone else. I just happen to think you cannot accomplish that in the modern NFL without that Franchise QB. Get him. However you have to. It's worth the risk ... you know?

Fitz is no Tom Brady but he's the best leader we've had at that position since Kelly. I'd rather develop the other glaring holes on this team before rolling the dice on a QB. Right now QB is not a major need.

PTR

Well for starters, the Bills could draft pro bowl players like Brandon Meriweather, Logan Mankins and Vince Wilfork, instead of passing on those players and making ridiculous picks and trades for guys like Losman, Lynch and Evans.

pats actually draft decent players/starters.

It's amazing how many people don't get it. Instead we hear nonsense like "Maybin might develop by year 4 or 5" or "Evans needs a better QB" or "Parrish just needs a good system". Meanwhile teams like the Pats*, Ravens and Steelers just keep draft big, solid guys that can play.

Edited by KD in CT

Well for starters, the Bills could draft pro bowl players like Brandon Meriweather, Logan Mankins and Vince Wilfork, instead of passing on those players and making ridiculous picks and trades for guys like Losman, Lynch and Evans.

It's amazing how many people don't get it. Instead we hear nonsense like "Maybin might develop by year 4 or 5" or "Evans needs a better QB" or "Parrish just needs a good system". Meanwhile teams like the Pats*, Ravens and Steelers just keep draft big, solid guys that can play.

Bingo. Contrast this with this.

The Jets are (were) overrated. They only have one win against a team with a winning record (New England). They could still miss the playoffs (remaining schedule: Miami, Pittsburg, Chicago and us)however it will be difficult for San Diego or Indianapolis to catch them.