I Don't Blame Fitz At All For Yesterday

Fitz is the starter here next year as Carolina has wrapped up Luck. So, which QBs actually fits Gailey's offense? Newton and Locker seem like the two that are most athletic and could take a year to learn the whole system under Fitz. I don't know much about Ponder so if someone has some insight, I would love to know. Mallett seems like he would not fit Gailey at all. Soooo, I would love to hear thoughts on what may happen in draft. Newton will go in the first but there is no way the Bills could pick him at their spot - could they? So Newton is probably not an option. Could locker slip to the second? Is Ponder good enough to take in second or would he be more like a 3rd rounder.

Most likely, we go best defender in first but when would the QB be drafted? Do they just forget the whole QB thing all together and not force anything until the time is right?

Fitz is the starter here next year as Carolina has wrapped up Luck. So, which QBs actually fits Gailey's offense? Newton and Locker seem like the two that are most athletic and could take a year to learn the whole system under Fitz. I don't know much about Ponder so if someone has some insight, I would love to know. Mallett seems like he would not fit Gailey at all. Soooo, I would love to hear thoughts on what may happen in draft. Newton will go in the first but there is no way the Bills could pick him at their spot - could they? So Newton is probably not an option. Could locker slip to the second? Is Ponder good enough to take in second or would he be more like a 3rd rounder.

Most likely, we go best defender in first but when would the QB be drafted? Do they just forget the whole QB thing all together and not force anything until the time is right?

If they're smart.

If we don't seriously address our lines in this draft it doesn't matter who plays QB.

PTR

That is why I am curious though....If they take best DE or LB in the first. Is there any QB worth taking in the 2nd? If starting right tackle is there when they pick in the second as well as Locker - what would people want?

Edited by BuffaloBaumer

I think if the Bills are smart they take nothing but linemen in this draft. If you want to sprinkle a few LBs in there that's fine too, but they need a serious overhaul on both lines and the best way to get it done is the scatter gun approach.

Do they just forget the whole QB thing all together and not force anything until the time is right?

I hope so.

Fitz may not be great, but he is definitely not the worst player on the team. We need to strengthen other positions before we throw a new QB in to the mix.

I'm not 100% sure that they'll take Luck in next year's draft. They have a lot of needs as well, and drafting 3 QBs in the last 2 drafts? It might happen but I wouldn't say it's 100% a sure thing.

I don't know who the 3 QB's are from the last two drafts are that you are referring to, but drafting one in the 7th round(Brown), shouldn't stop you from drafting one in the top 5 picks the following year.

I don't know who the 3 QB's are from the last two drafts are that you are referring to, but drafting one in the 7th round(Brown), shouldn't stop you from drafting one in the top 5 picks the following year.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Carolina taking 3 QB's recently. I know last draft they took Clausen and Tony Pike. Not sure about the year before?

To say Fitz isn't the total reason they lost yesterday is very accurate, but to say you don't blame him at all is way off. Fitz was terrible yesterday, yes he did take a beating, but he made several terrible throws, more than usual, and really no great throws. As for the draft, Newton is so far projected to go in the second round, in fact in one early mock draft I saw, they had Buffalo taking him. Yesterday showed that Fitz isn't the future of this team or any other that wants to win consistently, but this team is so bad, with so many weaknesses you might as well keep him around for another year and fill some of the other weakness, namely the Offensive Line, they sucked from one end to the other yesterday. They might take a flyer on Locker, as I think his stock will go back up some after the combine and the other workouts.

Edited by billsfreak

If we don't seriously address our lines in this draft it doesn't matter who plays QB.

PTR

Why can't we seriously address our lines and still take a QB in round 1? Who did you have in mind in the first round at LB, assuming we are picking in the top 4 or 5?

Do they just forget the whole QB thing all together and not force anything until the time is right?

If they pick the right guy...and I'm not saying I know who that guy is...But if they pick the right QB they won't be forcing anything...

And that's not anything against Fitz either...But there is a good chance at least one QB from the 2011 Draft not named Luck will end up being better than Fitz as a Pro...And if the Bills Drafted that guy it would go a long way in pushing this Team forward... B-)

That is why I am curious though....If they take best DE or LB in the first. Is there any QB worth taking in the 2nd? If starting right tackle is there when they pick in the second as well as Locker - what would people want?

Why can't we seriously address our lines and still take a QB in round 1? Who did you have in mind in the first round at LB, assuming we are picking in the top 4 or 5?

I feel there are just too many holes on the O and D lines to take a QB in rd 2. Don't worry. There are 3-4 "franchise QBs" in the 2012 draft. :lol:

PTR

I feel there are just too many holes on the O and D lines to take a QB in rd 2. Don't worry. There are 3-4 "franchise QBs" in the 2012 draft. :lol:

PTR

But still, there we are, picking in the top 3 of the 1st round. Lets say Carolina passes on Luck and Newton is also there. Which O-line or D-line prospect do you pick over these two guys. You can't just say "we have too many holes" (we have drafted o and D linemen in the past few 1st and 2nd rounds, by the way...). What guy will have more impact than either of those two? Do we elevate some LB that no one else has that high just because we need one? We've done that too often.

Maybe if - early on, for depth - they had loaded the practice squad with o-line guys (as I opined early-on when there were still some good ones to be had), Fitz would not have suffered yesterday's onslaught.

Draft Gabe Carimi. Please.

(And take Wisconsin TE Lance Kendricks too, while you're at it - Kendricks, Carimi named AFCA All-Americans)

The basic question is this...how do you go from bad to good? I would suggest your inventory your team and look at the weakest areas..in our case the offensive and defensive lines and perhaps the linebackers. Given the need to have a run stuffing defensive line and that there seem to be good to outstanding defensive linemen in the pool, that would seem the way to go. In rounds two and three we'd be looking at offensive linemen and possibly linebackers and if there is a real catch there in round two or three we might go for a tight end. We are okay at running back and qb. QB is just not a priority for a team with the kinds of needs we have.

The basic question is this...how do you go from bad to good? I would suggest your inventory your team and look at the weakest areas..in our case the offensive and defensive lines and perhaps the linebackers. Given the need to have a run stuffing defensive line and that there seem to be good to outstanding defensive linemen in the pool, that would seem the way to go. In rounds two and three we'd be looking at offensive linemen and possibly linebackers and if there is a real catch there in round two or three we might go for a tight end. We are okay at running back and qb. QB is just not a priority for a team with the kinds of needs we have.

I agree, TB. Fairley is probably the only guy I would take at that spot if I wasn't taking an available Luck.

The point isn't to just fill holes, the point is what to do if there is a top propsect at QB there for the taking. If Fitz gets hurt next year or flames out, why wouldn't we be kicking ourselves for letting a top QB go? We'd be cooked for another season.

Fitz made one really bad read where he didn't see the linebacker drop into a zone and threw the pick. I was more concerned with the fumbled snaps. He was hurried a lot yesterday, but when he had a little time he made good reads and throws. The throw he made to Evans along the left sideline was an unbelievably accurate throw under pressure.

I think Fitz still has some upside that we have yet to see if we can get our line and backs to protect better. Jackson and I think Corey the fullback did a decent job on chipping Allen, but the Vikings moved him around a lot and he still caused a lot of problems.

The receiver screen to Spiller seemed like a dead play - every time Gailey lined Spiller up as a receiver on the inside the Vikes had their best coverage linebacker right up there with him expecting the pass. Tried it on both sides - fail.