I Don't Blame Fitz At All For Yesterday

It always matters who your quarterback is. He is the most important player on your team, the face of your franchise, and one of the key considerations for potential free agents.

Elite quarterback play transcends all else in the NFL. Playoff teams can almost always be predicted by looking at the best NFL quarterbacks. The teams without fight for the scraps.

Look at the Patriots - middle of the road offensive line, seriously terrible defense, non-existent patchwork running game. Marginal receiving corps with no star power. But they do have that one guy, so it's all good.

Having your quarterback not be the worst player on your team shouldn't be good enough. Demand more. Keep trying until you have an elite quarterback and watch how suddenly your coach only gets fired the year you DON'T make the playoffs.

To be honest, I suspect that when Chan said he found something out yesterday and refused to say what it was, I bet it was in relation to the OL. I think it may have dawned on him how much Fitz's ability to quickly get rid of the ball has masked the line's deficiencies. Yesterday was an excellent example of that. The Vikings DL (they didn't even have to blitz) destroyed the OL -- and the line still only technically gave up one sack. So, even while Bell (in particular) didn't allow Allen to have multiple sacks, anyone who watched the game knows that Allen had his way with Bell from start to finish. Yes, the interior of the line was decimated. But it was the tackles that were getting beaten. Fixing the OL isn't an overnight project (as we all know), either. In a way, Fitz's performance yesterday (under the conditions that existed) actually ENHANCED the likelihood of him being the man for the foreseeable future. If the Bills do draft Luck (if he is available), rest assured that he won't see the field for a year or more. (Gotta protect that investment!) Wonder how many fans will be complaining about another "luxury pick" then.

To say Fitz isn't the total reason they lost yesterday is very accurate, but to say you don't blame him at all is way off. Fitz was terrible yesterday, yes he did take a beating, but he made several terrible throws, more than usual, and really no great throws. As for the draft, Newton is so far projected to go in the second round, in fact in one early mock draft I saw, they had Buffalo taking him. Yesterday showed that Fitz isn't the future of this team or any other that wants to win consistently, but this team is so bad, with so many weaknesses you might as well keep him around for another year and fill some of the other weakness, namely the Offensive Line, they sucked from one end to the other yesterday. They might take a flyer on Locker, as I think his stock will go back up some after the combine and the other workouts.

Colts found out yesterday that Payton isnt there future yesterday too.

But still, there we are, picking in the top 3 of the 1st round. Lets say Carolina passes on Luck and Newton is also there. Which O-line or D-line prospect do you pick over these two guys. You can't just say "we have too many holes" (we have drafted o and D linemen in the past few 1st and 2nd rounds, by the way...). What guy will have more impact than either of those two? Do we elevate some LB that no one else has that high just because we need one? We've done that too often.

I don't recall what O and D linemen we drafted in the last two drafts in the first round...all I remember is CJ Spiller, Whitner, Maybin (Linebacker convert)...but haven't we beat this horse to death.

One camp votes to draft a QB because that is the fun option, the sexy option, the way to get excitement in the Bills and put fannies in the seats...whether it's Luck, Newton, Locker, etc...most people in this camp don't care...QB is a necessity, regardless of the protection afforded the QB or the lack of a running game to open up the pass;

The other camp says, let's beef up the O line and D line, we have a decent young intelligent QB for now, 2 backups, a strong young receiving corps, running backs, why not stock up on some Linemen and LB's and in a year or two find an Aaron Murray type who is lighting the scoreboard up as a freshman in Georgia.

Nothing new here...either argument has its merit, either camp has strong points and drawbacks...

My opinion (not that it means much): Luck won't come out, Newton is another Jamarcus Russell (talent, but look at his upbringing so far with grades, computers, daddy lookin for cash, and I see another glue sniffer waiting to break out), Locker (Mel Kiper's beotch?? No thanks) and Mallett (is he really "franchise"?) I guess that leaves me with the group that says, draft fast, physical, intimidating linemen and linebackers...that will make entertaining football. Fitz can keep us entertained on the offensive side for another season.

Why can't we seriously address our lines and still take a QB in round 1? Who did you have in mind in the first round at LB, assuming we are picking in the top 4 or 5?

Owen Maresic / LB & FB / Playing on both sides of the ball at Stanford. The guy is an absolute super freak and super humble as well.

If we don't seriously address our lines in this draft it doesn't matter who plays QB.

PTR

You can lock this thread now. This post says it all. Period.

But still, there we are, picking in the top 3 of the 1st round. Lets say Carolina passes on Luck and Newton is also there. Which O-line or D-line prospect do you pick over these two guys. You can't just say "we have too many holes" (we have drafted o and D linemen in the past few 1st and 2nd rounds, by the way...). What guy will have more impact than either of those two? Do we elevate some LB that no one else has that high just because we need one? We've done that too often.

TRADE. DOWN. STOCKPILE DRAFT PICKS.