Jim Leonard

Tolstoy

A nice piece on Jim Leonard, "the QB of the Jet's defense," one of the best defenses in the NFL. This guy was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Bills, wasn't he? Tough luck for him with the recent injury.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/12/03/2010-12-03_jets_s_jim_leonhard_will_miss_rest_of_season_after_suffering_severe_leg_injury_i.html

A nice piece on Jim Leonard, "the QB of the Jet's defense," one of the best defenses in the NFL. This guy was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Bills, wasn't he? Tough luck for him with the recent injury.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/12/03/2010-12-03_jets_s_jim_leonhard_will_miss_rest_of_season_after_suffering_severe_leg_injury_i.html

Two words: Dick(less) Jauron

PTR

I think Leonhard was TD/Mularkey/Jerry Gray signing.

But DJ actually used him and played him as a LB at some point in the cover2

DJ being a former NFL DB thought all 11 players on defense should be under 6 feet, under 200 pounds and be really really fast; a plan that amazingly proved to be flawed.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Jim Leonhard is a very special player and is a student of the game. But let's also recognize that he's benefited from playing behind the front 7 in Balt & NYJ. He's the perfect DB for those teams. He'd be below average on any other team.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Jim Leonhard is a very special player and is a student of the game. But let's also recognize that he's benefited from playing behind the front 7 in Balt & NYJ.  He's the perfect DB for those teams. He'd be below average on any other team.

which is why those teams use top picks on the big front 7 players instead of following the Bills model of wasting top picks on CBs, safeties and LBs that are built like safeties 

Another one we just let go :doh: ???? To bad for us great for them :wallbash: !!!! But it was a good article :thumbsup: !!

They had to make room on the roster for James Hardy somehow.

Ow, that hurt! :angry:

Another one we just let go :doh: ???? To bad for us great for them :wallbash: !!!! But it was a good article :thumbsup: !!

Hopefully with the new front office staff, the trend of letting productive players slip away will come to an end.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Jim Leonhard is a very special player and is a student of the game. But let's also recognize that he's benefited from playing behind the front 7 in Balt & NYJ. He's the perfect DB for those teams. He'd be below average on any other team.

Ahhh, the semi-annual Jim Leonhard thread. I agree with GG.

Longtime Bills fans have seen Jim Leonhard before. Except back then his name was Mark Kelso. In seven NFL seasons, playing behind talented defenses, the 5'10" 180 pound Kelso finished his career with 30 interceptions, 8 fumble recoveries, and two defensive touchdowns. He was a very smart player and a very underrated athlete.

He also had a habit of getting run over by powerful backs. But he was rarely asked to make tackles as during his career he played behind a who's who of Bills greats on the front 7.

Put Leonhard on a mediocre defense and see what you think of him then.

What short memories some of us have. He always seemed to be a step too slow not to mention the fact that their opposing players were always running through his tackles. For a team like the Jets or Ravens, he's ok, for most of other teams, he's below average.

Thanks but no thanks.

He was. But so were half the players who are performing now under Chan.

PTR

Leonard is a good player and was also good for the Bills.

Think about all coaching changes, GM changes, scheme changes and look at the good players that leave and the countless re-Drafting that the Bills have done, especially at RB and DB. Antoine Winfield and Pat Williams from the Butler era still bothers me.

Ahhh, the semi-annual Jim Leonhard thread. I agree with GG.

Longtime Bills fans have seen Jim Leonhard before. Except back then his name was Mark Kelso. In seven NFL seasons, playing behind talented defenses, the 5'10" 180 pound Kelso finished his career with 30 interceptions, 8 fumble recoveries, and two defensive touchdowns. He was a very smart player and a very underrated athlete.

He also had a habit of getting run over by powerful backs. But he was rarely asked to make tackles as during his career he played behind a who's who of Bills greats on the front 7.

Put Leonhard on a mediocre defense and see what you think of him then.

Jim Leonhard wishes he was Mark Kelso. At this pace it'll take Leonhard 36 seasons to accumalte 30 picks. the guy has 5 picks only 3 sacks and 1 forced fumble in 6 years. I never did/never will see the big deal about Leonhard. He wasn't a good enough punt returner to keep him on the roster. Parrish was/is much better. His contributions on the field weren't enough to warrant extending him. This isn't a Pat Williams/Winfield/Fletcher level player where we can sit and go "Damn how are we gonna replace him. Secondary has been the least of the Bills

problems. I'll never forget Leonhard last year here. A Bills/Jags game Leonhard was repeatedly getting abused so much that Rich Gannon doing pbp said something along the lines of. "This safety looks like he doesn't even belong in the NFL and has no place on the field" He's not a liability in the Blitz happy Jets defense good for him. He's hardly a player worth missing.

Leonhard is nothing more than a fringe starter. He's a very smart player, but he doesn't have the size to match up with more physical receivers. I would want the guy on my team, but it's not like we are missing out on anything special.