Pat Williams, 3 year $13 million deal

Webster Guy

I know this has been beaten to death but we let big Pat walk for a 3 year $13 million dollar deal (he said he wouldve taken even less)and we just signed Kelsay to a 4 year $24 million dollar deal. Talk about organizational inconsistency.

I don't care who your GM is at the time, if you have an astute owner he doesn't let that type of athlete and team leader leave to save a few peanuts. I understand letting Clements and even Winfield walk because of the FA money they wanted, but I feel embarassed for Ralph and how disconnected he has been to his team for so long now when you look at moves like big Pat's.

Hindsight is 20/20 and yes he was getting older and at that questionable age for performance and durability, but he didn't want a long term deal anyway or crazy upfront money.

I don't expect an NFL owner to be a talent judge or a financial expert, but you need them to be involved to the point that players feel some loyalty to them and vice versa. I hope our next owner brings this to the organization.

Williams vs Kelsay. Say what you want but it's Black vs White. Clements, Winfield, Peters, Greer, Williams, Spikes, TO and Fletcher are all black men that wanted to be paid close to market or market rates -- all get cut or traded. Kelsay, a slow white guy and they can't overpay him fast enough.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams vs Kelsay. Say what you want but it's Black vs White. Clements, Winfield, Peters, Greer, Williams, Spikes, TO and Fletcher are all black men that wanted to be paid close to market or market rates -- all get cut or traded. Kelsay, a slow white guy and they can't overpay him fast enough.

They also extended Aaron Schobel.

On the other hand, the team has extended Fred Jackson (although I hear he's lukewarm about the contract…he had no leverage). They also extended Roscoe Parrish in 2007, and Terrence McGee last year (why I'll never know).

In addition, they've discussed a contract extension with Donte Whitner but not Paul Poszluzny.

So I think your theory doesn't really hold water. I certainly hope it doesn't.

And Terrence McGee has been extended twice by the club.

In fairness to RW, he had nothing to do with letting Pat Williams go. It was the first time in team history that RW created the title and delegated TOTAL control to a team president, Tom Donahoe. When TD hired Greg Williams, GW decreed that Pat Williams was "fat" and didn't fit the mold of his great 46 defensive schemes. He was gonna beat the run with "speed and numbers." He didn't like oversized DLmen. Exit PW.

It's no coincidence that after the failure of the TD experiment RW hasn't given any one person total control of football operations since.

GO BILLS!!!

Ralph is the owner of the franchise, so he can over rule anyone anytime if he wants. I was listening to an interview with Pat Williams the other day on the NFL channel on Sirius radio and they ended the interview by mentioning that he gets to play his old team. His reply was something like, "Don't think I don't know that, it has been on my mind since 2006." Sounds like he is still bitter that Buffalo and Ralph didn't keep him here because I know he really wanted to stay. Just one of the many blunders this team has made, but one of the bigger ones for sure.

I'm sorry, who became the highest paid player in Bills history after they extended him?

Care to name a couple former Bills who were the highest paid players at their positions in the league at one time?

Look for something long enough and you'll find it. No matter where you look.

GO BILLS!!!

You are joking right? If not, I am speechless, it is so ridiculous. Clements and Winfield wanted and got way more than they were worth. Spikes was coming off being injured and asked for his release, and still is only a shadow of what he was his first two years here. Jason Peters wasn't worth what he was getting, he gave up more sacks than any LT in football, and he wanted a new contract every other game. Fletcher they should have kept, but I think they let him go more because they were changing defenses, and everyone knew T.O. was here for one year, regardless what ethnicity he was, they brought him in to sell tickets for one season. Greer is a good young talent, but why pay big bucks when he plays in the only area on the roster that we actually have quality, cheaper depth. 60% or more that are let go are going to be African Americans, because at least that percentage of the NFL's players are African Americans. So by your theory, Fred Jackson, Lee Evans, McGee and many others must have left the race block on their contracts blank, because they are all African Americans who got extensions. Also, of the names you mentioned, only Peters was traded, and I believe all of the others' contracts were up and they left as free agents, although I agree they should have kept Williams, that is the life in the NFL fitting under salary caps. Ralph Wilson might be the NFL's worst owner, for sure the cheapest owner, has driven this franchise into the dirt, but there are no grounds to call him a racists. If anyone is a racist, it would be someone who posted the type of post you did. Some people could watch an episode of the Flintstones and cry racism after watching it. Get a life. Edited by billsfreak

Ralph is the owner of the franchise, so he can over rule anyone anytime if he wants. I was listening to an interview with Pat Williams the other day on the NFL channel on Sirius radio and they ended the interview by mentioning that he gets to play his old team. His reply was something like, "Don't think I don't know that, it has been on my mind since 2006." Sounds like he is still bitter that Buffalo and Ralph didn't keep him here because I know he really wanted to stay. Just one of the many blunders this team has made, but one of the bigger ones for sure.

Every player that is let go by his former team wants to show them that they made a mistake. I'm sure Spencer Johnson feels the same way about the Vikes.

this is the dumbest thing Ive seen posted in a while, and that's saying something given the fact that it's usually a dumb-post contest around here.

Blame RW for everything that's wrong with the Bills if you feel that way. I was just pointing out that RW had taken an unprecedented step in giving TOTAL control over ALL football operations to one man by stepping down as team president and giving the title to TD. Williams was TD's decision and TD's decision alone. Giving someone total control means just that, total control. Perhaps RW should have meddled but then people around here would B word at him about that.

GO BILLS!!!

They also extended Aaron Schobel.

On the other hand, the team has extended Fred Jackson (although I hear he's lukewarm about the contract…he had no leverage). They also extended Roscoe Parrish in 2007, and Terrence McGee last year (why I'll never know).

In addition, they've discussed a contract extension with Donte Whitner but not Paul Posluszny.

And Terrence McGee has been extended twice by the club.

As others have pointed out, they also extended Lee Evans and made him the highest paid player in team history.

They also gave Marcus Stroud a two-year extension last year, and like with McGee, I can't imagine why. The Stroud and McGee extensions were bad decisions, IMO.

So yeah. You're way off on this one.

How about that Darryl Lamonica trade?

PTR

PTR

Might be the funniest response ever

Awesome. :lol:

Agree that was the funniest response I've ever read in here

................................................................................................................. Now that I've finished laughing, I'll agree. Hilarious. Better question is how many folks are reading that and thinking what????

the kelsay number is an agent marketing scheme, he will never recieve twenty four mil. he is paid like an average nfl de, nothing more

"In dollars and cents, the Kelsay deal makes sense. He reportedly got a $2 million bonus up front and a few hundred grand added to his 2010 salary so that the Bills could retain his services beyond this season without committing too much money long-term. Kelsay’s base salary for next season is $2 million, a meager sum for a starting linebacker. Beyond that, his base salary is about $3.5 million per year. It’s doubtful that much, if any, of the future money is guaranteed. The $24 million is an agent-inflated figure that includes incentives unlikely to be earned, and bonuses that could facilitate the contract being terminated early."

http://tonawanda-news.com/buffalobills/x1864897670/An-endorsement-of-losing-by-extension

PTR

:lol:

Well, we did get a Super Bowl winning QB in return..

Sort of..

Tom Flores was a QB for the Raiders before the trade. And later, as HC, his Raiders (with Chandler#81) beat Philly in the SB.

So we got that goin' for us..

the kelsay number is an agent marketing scheme, he will never recieve twenty four mil. he is paid like an average nfl de, nothing more

"In dollars and cents, the Kelsay deal makes sense. He reportedly got a $2 million bonus up front and a few hundred grand added to his 2010 salary so that the Bills could retain his services beyond this season without committing too much money long-term. Kelsay's base salary for next season is $2 million, a meager sum for a starting linebacker. Beyond that, his base salary is about $3.5 million per year. It's doubtful that much, if any, of the future money is guaranteed. The $24 million is an agent-inflated figure that includes incentives unlikely to be earned, and bonuses that could facilitate the contract being terminated early."

http://tonawanda-new...ng-by-extension

Cue the "Ralph is Cheap" peanut gallery in 3, 2, 1...

:lol:

Well, we did get a Super Bowl winning QB in return..

Sort of..

Tom Flores was a QB for the Raiders before the trade. And later, as HC, his Raiders (with Chandler#81) beat Philly in the SB.

So we got that goin' for us..

And I'm still pissed-off about the Chandler trade, too!

(May he RIP)

Blame RW for everything that's wrong with the Bills if you feel that way. I was just pointing out that RW had taken an unprecedented step in giving TOTAL control over ALL football operations to one man by stepping down as team president and giving the title to TD. Williams was TD's decision and TD's decision alone. Giving someone total control means just that, total control. Perhaps RW should have meddled but then people around here would B word at him about that.

GO BILLS!!!

I am not blaming everything on RW, but to say he had absolutely nothing to do with anything is ridiculous. He is the captain of this sunken ship, so ultimately everything falls on him, whether you like it or not. He can give someone a title, but it was still his checkbook, so don't kid yourself into thinking he had no say at all because of the position title he gave Donohue.

And I'm still pissed-off about the Chandler trade, too!

(May he RIP)

That did kinda suck, but I am sure in the end he was glad he got traded, he got a Super Bowl ring if I am not mistaken.

ou can't have it both ways. People are often complaining how RW is to meddlesome. Now you're asking for him to over rule the GM?? He gave total control to TD, so if TD wants to get rid of him, you don't stop him, unless you want to be the GM. I'd give credit to RW, for not trying to think he knows more about talent and over ruling TD. Did this one work out well, clearly in hindsight no it didn't. But don't try and blame that on the owner.

I don't care who your GM is at the time, if you have an astute owner he doesn't let that type of athlete and team leader leave to save a few peanuts. I understand letting Clements and even Winfield walk because of the FA money they wanted, but I feel embarassed for Ralph and how disconnected he has been to his team for so long now when you look at moves like big Pat's.

You can't have it both ways. A good majority of you call ralph a meddling owner and don't want him anywhere near football decisions. And now we have someone calling for Ralph to be a meddling owner. Just can't win with you guys.

In that lone particular instance, yes. But the fact is that Ralph was a meddling owner for 90% of his 50 years. The one time he wasn't was, as mentioned above, when he hired the big name guy at the time, Tom Donahoe, who demanded full control. Ralph took an uncharacteristic back seat and gave TD the Presidency title and total control. It bit Ralph in the ass as TD became a tyrant, alienated a lot of people, hired some bad coaches and made some questionable personnel decisions. When Ralph got rid of him, he went back to his meddling ways.

I know this has been beaten to death but we let big Pat walk for a 3 year $13 million dollar deal (he said he wouldve taken even less)and we just signed Kelsay to a 4 year $24 million dollar deal. Talk about organizational inconsistency.

Hindsight is 20/20 and yes he was getting older and at that questionable age for performance and durability, but he didn't want a long term deal anyway or crazy upfront money.

I don't expect an NFL owner to be a talent judge or a financial expert, but you need them to be involved to the point that players feel some loyalty to them and vice versa. I hope our next owner brings this to the organization.

And what's more amazing is thar Pat is still playing now - 5 years after we let him walk, and he's 38 years old. The front office really stepped in it that with that guy..