The Best Ever

Mr. WEO

No, he is not the best ever. Any back you have to take out on short yardage and goal line could never be the best. He was the most shifty and fun to watch but not the best. I would have to say Emmit Smith was with his longevity, rushing records, superbowls and and touchdowns.

No, he is not the best ever. Any back you have to take out on short yardage and goal line could never be the best. He was the most shifty and fun to watch but not the best. I would have to say Emmit Smith was with his longevity, rushing records, superbowls and and touchdowns.

And I could tell you that if Sanders had the O line blocking for him that Smith did he would have had way more yards then anyone Smith all thou good was not as great as Sayers,Brown,Dickerson,Payton, and Sanders

I said Sayers earlier and I still believe it, but Dickerson in his prime was possibly the most dominant RB I ever saw.And he has to be in the conversation.

Sayers simply did have the years (number of) that should be there to consider him one of the greatest all-time. Before he blew out his knee, he was fantastic though. Sanders was as explosive, and he was durable.

Payton, Smith, Dickerson, Simpson, etc, were all great players, but the absolute best RB of all time is still the great Jim Brown. No one has ever been so thoroughly dominating as he was his entire career.

Emmit was a shell of himself the last 3 years when he was chasing down the All-time yardage record. He also had the privilege of playing behind a huge offensive line in his heyday. Had Walter Payton played in Dallas during those same years as did Smith, I firmly believe his numbers would have exceeded Smith's considerably.

#1 - Jim Brown #2 - Walter Payton #3 - Barry Sanders

Edited by Spiderweb

Sayers simply did have the years (number of) that should be there to consider him one of the greatest all-time. Before he blew out his knee, he was fantastic though. Sanders was as explosive, and he was durable.

Payton, Smith, Dickerson, Simpson, etc, were all great players, but the absolute best RB of all time is still the great Jim Brown. No one has ever been so thoroughly dominating as he was his entire career.

Emmit was a shell of himself the last 3 years when he was chasing down the All-time yardage record. He also had the privilege of playing behind a huge offensive line in his heyday. Had Walter Payton played in Dallas during those same years as did Smith, I firmly believe his numbers would have exceeded Smith's considerably.

I can't argue with ya

Since I began watching in 1968, there have been three RBs who can do things that nobody else can. I might want Emmitt Smith on my team, but I'd rather watch OJ, Earl Campbell and Barry Sanders than any of them. The only three where you go - wow, did you see that!

I can't really disagree with your list. And what amazes me is how much Payton did with average athletic talent but extraordinary vision, and balance. He wasn't the most talented RB, but he understood the position like no one else.

#1 is Jim Brown. A man among boys.

I can't really disagree with your list. And what amazes me is how much Payton did with average athletic talent but extraordinary vision, and balance. He wasn't the most talented RB, but he understood the position like no one else.

It seemed like Walter Payton initiated as many hits as he received... that kept him injury free for a long time.

Barry Sanders...Best running back ever? Maybe...most exciting and amazing? YES.

I think OJ was definitely the most exciting running back ever. Barry Sanders was a small, agile sports car…some sort of convertible. OJ Simpson was a formula one racer. His top end was incomparable. His agility was also second to none but it was his size, strength, and breakaway speed which separated him from the merely elusive. Sanders made people miss. OJ could do that, but he could blow away pursuit angles. OJ was a member of the World Record 4X100 relay team. He ran anchor. There has never been a 212 pound football player ever as fast as OJ.

Gale Sayers

Sayers was a poor man's Simpson. A great player yes, but a smaller version of OJ.

I disagree. Emmitt Smith is probably the least physically talented of all the all-time great running backs. Anyone who watched Payton in his prime knows that he was the best running back at hurdling the line of scrimmage in goal line situations. No one wearing cleats, helmet, and shoulder pads and carrying a football could jump as high as Walter Payton. His jump cuts were incredible. Payton bounced off tackles and retained his balance like an oversized Barry Sanders. If they measured Payton like they do with players nowadays, his explosiveness in the vertical jump and standing broad jump would be off the charts. The guy was a like a steel spring overwound. He was a very gifted athlete. He was much quicker and more explosive than Emmitt Smith. Emmitt was the one who did more with less talent. He got by with toughness, durability, and instincts.

Jim Brown/O.J. Simpson

That's how I have it. I'll forgive Walter Payton for being higher on NFL.com's Top 100 players and I'll even excuse Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith (only because he's the career rushing leader…longevity) but putting Gale Sayers ahead of OJ is a joke, IMO.

I think NFL.com's list is possibly biased against OJ because of his post-football travails.

In a four year stretch 1972-76, OJ averaged 1540 yards per season during a 14 game season. In his record breaking 1973 season, he rushed for over 200 yards three times including 419 yards in his last two games two break Jim Brown's record and eclipse the 2000 yard barrier. That season he averaged 6.0 yards per rush despite carrying the ball 332 times.

OJ Simpson eclipsed 200 yards rushing in six games. Second place, Earl Campbell with four.

OJ Simpson longest touchdown run was 94 yards. Gale Sayers' longest touchdown run was 61 yards.

OJ had 8 runs of 50 or more yards in his career. Gale Sayers had 5.

OJ had 5 1000-yard seasons. Sayers had 2.

Again, Sayers was a great player but I think it's a travesty that he was placed ahead of Simpson in the Top 100 players. If you give a player points for durability like Emmitt Smith, then Gayle Sayers' accomplishments have to be discounted because of his short career. You can't have it both ways.

I loved it when Payton would throw a half-back option pass!

I think OJ was definitely the most exciting running back ever. Barry Sanders was a small, agile sports car…some sort of convertible. OJ Simpson was a formula one racer. His top end was incomparable. His agility was also second to none but it was his size, strength, and breakaway speed which separated him from the merely elusive. Sanders made people miss. OJ could do that, but he could blow away pursuit angles. OJ was a member of the World Record 4X100 relay team. He ran anchor. There has never been a 212 pound football player ever as fast as OJ.

This is an awesome analogy! Spot on!

And I could tell you that if Sanders had the O line blocking for him that Smith did he would have had way more yards then anyone Smith all thou good was not as great as Sayers,Brown,Dickerson,Payton, and Sanders

Amen on that. Smith doesn't crack my top 10.

Also, albeit a career cut way too short, but at his healthy best, Bo Jackson was unstoppable.

Edited by Green Lightning