Harrison roughing penalty

CodeMonkey

James thinks he got screwed.

I have to agree. I know the officials are bending over backwards to protect QBs these days, but that looked like facemask to the chest to me. I don't think that is illegal, at least not yet. And the official was looking right at it from what looked to be a good angle and threw the flag without hesitation (almost reaching for it just before the hit). Tomlin looked like he was going to blow a gasket after looking at the replay. I think Harrisons reputation preceded him on that play.

Interesting to see the leagues response.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to agree. I know the officials are bending over backwards to protect QBs these days, but that looked like facemask to the chest to me. I don't think that is illegal, at least not yet. And the official was looking right at it from what looked to be a good angle and threw the flag without hesitation (almost reaching for it just before the hit). Tomlin looked like he was going to blow a gasket after looking at the replay. I think Harrisons reputation preceded him on that play.

25g.

Edited by stony

Harrison will think he's screwed every time he gets a penalty. However, I think it's pretty obvious that the league is keeping a VERY close eye on him and every hit he makes. Based on his whiny comments after his first fine, I'll bet the refs were told to call anything close.

Looking at the replay, I thought it was more of a spear to the chest than a facemask...i.e., he was leading with his head instead of keeping it up and facing the QB. This is what these players don't get - if you lead with your head, you're going to seriously hurt someone.

Harrison is a piece of **** cheap shot artist, in the similar vein of rodney harrison and vince wilfork. His dumb ass doesn't realize that you can't lead with the crown of your helmet when hitting someone. Thats why he's getting flagged. Thats what he did on Fitz, not to mention he lead with the helmet and went high.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him get (a well deserved) suspension.

Yeah, the facemask might have been in the chest but the crown of his helmet was in Fitz's face - that's going to get a penalty every time. Helmet to helmet (or in this case helmet to face) contact is no longer going to be allowed. It wasn't even a debatable call.

The replay was pretty obvious to me. He was aiming for Fitz's head. He deserved an ejection on top of a penalty.

PTR

The obvious thing is that if he intended to hit Fitz in the head, he would have. And with basically an unimpeded run like he had, even iron man Fitz would have not gotten up. It looked to me anyway that he lowered his head to hit Fitz in the chest with his grill. Even that would have kept a lot of QBs on the ground. Gotta hand it to Fitz for popping right back up. He is a tough SOB if nothing else.

Like I said earlier, interesting to see how the league sees it.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The replay was pretty obvious to me. He was aiming for Fitz's head. He deserved an ejection on top of a penalty.

PTR

Agreed 100%. Not only did he deserve an ejection and the forthcoming fine, but he needs to be suspended for a few games. He obviously can't conform to the new rules.

Harrison is a piece of **** cheap shot artist, in the similar vein of rodney harrison and vince wilfork. His dumb ass doesn't realize that you can't lead with the crown of your helmet when hitting someone. Thats why he's getting flagged. Thats what he did on Fitz, not to mention he lead with the helmet and went high.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him get (a well deserved) suspension.

Or a six figure fine!!!

Harrison is hard hitter and he plays a very physical brand of football which the NFL doesn't like. They want the Defense just to tackle not to punish the runner or QB like Harrison. He will be fined again for sure. Frankly I think it was a hard hit and there was nothing dirty about it.

I thought his helmet hit Fitz facemask...that makes it h to h ....and a suspension is a distinct possibility.

Harrison is a raging pole smoker, and a dirty player. This hit though I don't know if he intended to go helmet to helmet (or helmet to facemask, or helmet to chin, whatever). But whether you intend to or not...still a penalty. Still going to be fined. It's the new NFL...this is what happens.

Edited by ActionJackson22

The obvious thing is that if he intended to hit Fitz in the head, he would have. And with basically an unimpeded run like he had, even iron man Fitz would have not gotten up. It looked to me anyway that he lowered his head to hit Fitz in the chest with his grill. Even that would have kept a lot of QBs on the ground. Gotta hand it to Fitz for popping right back up. He is a tough SOB if nothing else.

Like I said earlier, interesting to see how the league sees it.

The best way to hurt a player is not aim for his head, but for his chin. That's what Harrison did.

PTR

It's pathetic that the only thing that will ever change this guy's tune is when he eventually breaks his own neck hitting like that. Of course, this week he'll probably whine about having to retire again thanks to the latest fine.

And before anyone tries to make the claim, I'm not trying to say that I want to see him break his neck.

I've seen the head-to-chest hits called for penalties. Basically, any hit where the head is leaning forward instead of off to the side allowing for the shoulder to his first gets called. It's ridiculous and he does have the right to be upset but it is consistent with everything else that's been called this year.

The obvious thing is that if he intended to hit Fitz in the head, he would have.

And he did.

If he didn't want to have head to head contact he'd have lead with his shoulder instead of his head. You know, the way you're taught to tackle - lead with shoulder and wrap the guy up with your arms.