No Fun League Strikes again

richNjoisy

The problem the NFL has is that if they allow it, then you can guarantee half the TD celebrations in the endzone will include stupid celebrations by witless WR thinking they are funny. Granted, they are wildly inconsistent with their fines. But to not do anything about it would be to promote bad behavior. The fine system keeps most guys from doing it. It gets guys thinking creatively that if they are going to do it, AND pay 10K it better be good. Stevie admitted he knew he was going to be fined before he did it, but chose to. To me, I hate those kinds of celebrations with sharpies and the like but thought his was rather clever and loved it. It got him all kinds of face time on national TV because he had a Batman sized game. It was probably worth 20x the $5K to him in the long run. So the penalty, IMO, fit the crime. They let guys celebrate. They let them dance and do Lambeau leaps and dunk over the crossbar. They don't let them mangle their uniforms or bring props or become Andy Warhol.

Frankly, I'd hate it WAY more to have to see #4 rookie WRs performing ill-conceived performance art in the endzone after every meaningless TD. The fine system is fine.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on guys.

EVERYONE knew he was going to get fined.

It's an extremely minor fine.

This is totally expected and no big deal.

It's probably the best five thousand he ever spent, look how much national attention he got.

THIS.

Surprisingly I completely agree.

The fines are totally out of whack. Seymour got fined ONLY $25,000 for almost knocking Roethlesberger's head off by blasting him right in the mouth. This wasn't a light tap either, he could have easily done more damage to Ben than he did. So Johnson gets fined 15,000 for two minuscule acts and Seymour gets 10,000 more for what he did, and he is also a repeat offender. The league is still a joke. Oh yeah, Seymour also got ejected....oooohh!!!

Seymour

Edited by Rayzer32

The fines are totally out of whack. Seymour got fined ONLY $25,000 for almost knocking Roethlesberger's head off by blasting him right in the mouth. This wasn't a light tap either, he could have easily done more damage to Ben than he did. So Johnson gets fined 15,000 for two minuscule acts and Seymour gets 10,000 more for what he did, and he is also a repeat offender. The league is still a joke. Oh yeah, Seymour also got ejected....oooohh!!!

Seymour

Since when is an open hand shove into the head of a guy wearing a football helmet with full facemask a punch in the face or "almost knocking Roethlesberger's head off by blasting him right in the mouth"? Granted, they had to fine Seymour but it probably didnt even hurt. Ben probably provoked it anyway, the way Seymour turned so quickly and is known for being a great guy.

Since when is an open hand shove into the head of a guy wearing a football helmet with full facemask a punch in the face or "almost knocking Roethlesberger's head off by blasting him right in the mouth"? Granted, they had to fine Seymour but it probably didnt even hurt. Ben probably provoked it anyway, the way Seymour turned so quickly and is known for being a great guy.

Anyone who pimp slaps "Hurr Durr" Big Ben deserves a $25,000 raise IMO.

Disrespecting your opponent? That's a bit much in this instance.

No. It is. Clowning around in the endzone after a td or standing over a guy posing after a hit is something I would expect a 12 year old to do. Real pro's act like they have done this before and often. If I were to lose a job to another company and some rep called me up to gloat I would be pissed. I kinda would want to shove his cell down his throat. No difference here.

You have to draw the line somewhere. It's much easier to make premeditated celebrations illegal instead of having a grey area where they have to determine if what the player did crossed the line. Plus, it's only 5k, not a big dent. I have no problem with this fine.

The NFL is ridiculous... how pathetic it is to fine players for being fun and emotional wen their actions don't harm anyone/anything. I myself love all the antics the players come up with, it makes them more personable to me.

True, just as long as it not dancing with the stars out there but just quick in the moment celebration.

No. It is. Clowning around in the endzone after a td or standing over a guy posing after a hit is something I would expect a 12 year old to do. Real pro's act like they have done this before and often. If I were to lose a job to another company and some rep called me up to gloat I would be pissed. I kinda would want to shove his cell down his throat. No difference here.

No need to stand over a guy or taunt, but what Stevie did is fine he wasn't standing in front of Cincy's D gloating, he showed his stuff to the TV cameras. I watch football for the competition, and TO BE ENTERTAINED.

If you'd ever played ball competively, I think you can agree to some emotion on the field... no need to act like a jerk, but this was minor and wasn't "taunting" or "gloating".

Edited by McD

Oh come on guys.

It's probably the best five thousand he ever spent, look how much national attention he got.

And if he had the different colored dreads he had when I talked to him his rookie year, they would even remember what he looked like being on these talk shows. Make you wonder what if it was Ocho Stinko doing that at the Ralph, the same people who are complaining about the fine, would be crying that Ocho had no class and should be fined.

Thanx. I disagree with the ruling anyway ... I won't be surprised if Gailey came forward and said he would pay the fine for Stevie

I would (be surprised if Gailey paid the fine).

Gailey is on record when asked about it said he didn't see it, then shaking his head and saying something to the effect he believes "you have to be smart in this game".

i think people also need to realize that the NFL imposes the 5k fines but they are always settle for 50% if the player donates the money to charity...so stevie just donates 2500 to a local charity and he gets a bit of a tax write off.

That's nice to know, I'm sure someone will tell Stevie this. He seems like the kind of guy who would donate that kind of money to Coats for Kids or Toys for Tots or something just to spread a little warmth so that would be a win-win.

I think a more fitting Joker phrase for this weekend that he should write on his T-shirt would be "This town needs an enema."

:lol:

Aside from the win itself - and the amazing way the Bills came back and accomplished it - Stevie's 'gesture' (I'd hardly call it a 'celebration') was one of the more enjoyable moments in Bills football this season! JMO.

Oh come on guys.

+1

And, sadly, it is exactly this sort of attention that garners pro-bowl votes and not always performance (consider all those years Bob Chandler should have been in the pro bowl, but never made it). Even Stevie himself realizes that he'll probably have to finish up as the #1 WR to make the pro bowl. So, I agree, $5K very well spent for a guy who ought to make the pro bowl on his performance alone -- the promotion only helps him. Go Stevie! Go Bills!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DE7BSZc2cs

Edited by ChasBB