Being a Black QB; It Must be Tough

Rob's House

Perception of Black QBs  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think race affects black QBs?

• It's like Jim Crow out there
    • There may be a little more scrutiny on them
    • Teams are just concerned with winning
    • They often get a pass by media types who don't want to offend

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's almost as if these posters didn't grow up in Western New York. To completely deny that racism still exists strongly amongst many in the area is a bit silly.

That may be true...But until you get down here in the Dirty South you really have no idea...It's a WHOLE different world down here let me tell ya... B-)

What does any of this have to do with anything? I'm completely aware of the difference between prejudice and racism. Racism among racial minorities is not only real, but prevalent. Not to mention, I fail to see how minorities hating another race is not racism, as they clearly think they are superior if they have such disdain for white people.

But hey, It's ok to hate white people, as long as you blame the mythical "white man" that is holding you back.

Normally i would be irritated by your ignorance but it is clear that ur simply not getting the message?

Have minorities been oppressed by WHITEs? YES

If they harbor or exhibit signs of animosity because of these grievances does that then amount to racism?

NO!

Hell thats like saying the lamb or Zebra is exhibiting racism towards the Lion or Wolf!!!

Their negative actions towards whites are not a result of them feeling that they are superior towards White people (which is racism) but because they feel aggrieved because of slights both real or imagined.

Again in the age of the internet this kind of ignorance should be unacceptable, but then again only 28 percent of the US pop have a college degree so go figure!

One thing she definitely does is overrate Campbell. By doing so, it makes me question her knowledge of the NFL in general. Doesn't she understand that any former 1st rounder who is traded for a 4th rounder is considered a throwaway player by the team trading him away? Doesn't she understand that when a team trades a 4th rounder for a veteran QB, that they realize that if he had any real value as a starter, they could have never have obtained him so cheaply?

It's amazing how people look at QBs obtained on the cheap as the answer, when if they had more ability, they'd have more value than what they were obtained for. QB is the most valued position on the field & nobody just gives a starting QB away.

Just to put the Campbell trade in perspective, the Bills took a 4th rounder for a guy drafted at a similar spot as Campbell in the draft. The guy failed his physical & got returned, but Bill Polian was willing to give a 4th for John McCargo. That should tell anyone how little value a guy has who is traded for a 4th round pick. Of course he'd be on a short leash when occupying the most important position on the field.

That may be true...But until you get down here in the Dirty South you really have no idea...It's a WHOLE different world down here let me tell ya... B-)

I once read an article that said the only difference between the South and North is that in the South blacks and whites openly hate each other while in the North they hate each other behind closed doors.

Before you rush to decry this statement look at the race riots in Boston (that liberal progressive city way north of the Mason-Dixon line) in the Seventies. In the north Blacks basically live in the cities. In the South blacks and whites live in big and small towns everywhere. And to say that whites are the only racist people in America is ludicrous, if you think other wise stroll your white self through Watts or Harlem and feel the love some time.

I once read an article that said the only difference between the South and North is that in the South blacks and whites openly hate each other while in the North they hate each other behind closed doors.

Before you rush to decry this statement look at the race riots in Boston (that liberal progressive city way north of the Mason-Dixon line) in the Seventies. In the north Blacks basically live in the cities. In the South blacks and whites live in big and small towns everywhere. And to say that whites are the only racist people in America is ludicrous, if you think other wise stroll your white self through Watts or Harlem and feel the love some time.

The only problem with the race crutch argument is that systematic racism has been all but eliminated a long time ago. Education and the free flow of information has decreased racism to a point that it is almost exclusively the domain of the older generations.

Bill Cosby has spoken about this many times, and I would be inclined to agree with him. There is absolutely no reason why other racial minorities (asians) should be having such great success, while others wallow in poverty. Racism is still around, but it did not prevent Obama from becoming president, nor did it prevent Michael Steele from becoming the leader of the Republican party. If racial minorities want a crutch, blame the terrible inner-city schools, not the white man.

In the Rooney Rule's defense...it doesn't require a certain percentage of coaches to be black. It only requires that a black coach be interviewed for every vacancy. One might consider the difference minor...but it's pretty significant, as it recognized that the bias needing breaking in the league wasn't overt racism but merely covert favoritism (in that it wasn't a "We're not going to hire blacks" attitude, but a "We're not going to hire out of our clique" bias), and more importantly that it still required minority candidates to earn the job on their merits.

I could not agree more.

I could not agree more.

By the way, this law was for all minorities and not just Blacks, or should I use the word African Americans?

And the law seems to have had an effect because more minorities have become head coaches since it was instituted.

It is funny how it takes mandated laws to loosen those bonds of diversity <sad>

Want black QBs to be better, Jamele? Tell them to actually learn to read a defense or throw with some accuracy and stop just taking off and running when their primary WR is convered. That type of BS "quarterbacking" works in college, but not in pro ball.

In the NFL, you can't simply rely on superior athleticism. You need to actually be an honest-to-goodness QB.

The only problem with the race crutch argument is that systematic racism has been all but eliminated a long time ago. Education and the free flow of information has decreased racism to a point that it is almost exclusively the domain of the older generations.

Wow :o

What color is the sky in your world?

Wow :o

What color is the sky in your world?

Blue, I live in the real world. No white man is stopping a black child from doing his homework and graduating from high school, and no white man is causing a black father to abandon his child. You can B word all you want about institutionalized racism, but it doesn't dominate the system anymore. No one is stopping black people from voting anymore, no one is stopping black children from attending white schools.

But hey, crutches are awesome!

Blue, I live in the real world. No white man is stopping a black child from doing his homework and graduating from high school, and no white man is causing a black father to abandon his child. You can B word all you want about institutionalized racism, but it doesn't dominate the system anymore. No one is stopping black people from voting anymore, no one is stopping black children from attending white schools.

But hey, crutches are awesome!

Ah never mind, how simple it is to live in ignorant bliss

Want black QBs to be better, Jamele? Tell them to actually learn to read a defense or throw with some accuracy and stop just taking off and running when their primary WR is convered. That type of BS "quarterbacking" works in college, but not in pro ball.

In the NFL, you can't simply rely on superior athleticism. You need to actually be an honest-to-goodness QB.

Wow, what great insight? Who would have ever thought this?

Jeez, I wonder how many NFL QBs you have groomed and how many defenses you have dissected to come to this conclusion, Einstein

I apologize to my friends and relatives who I used to call ignorant and racists.

Their views are so tame in comparison to the ignorance here that they would be labelled as extreme liberals compared to some of the views here.

WOw

I have wondered in recent years, and got no good answers from my friends, why it seems that black QBs do have shorter careers or at least don't stay on top as long.

Ten years ago or so, it looked like blacks would become the majority of QBs, as with most positions in the NFL. But, guys like Kordell Stewart, Quincy Carter, Ray Lucas, Sean King, Dante Culpepper, etc. would take their teams to the playoffs and I would think they are going to their franchise's QB. But, then their career's would flame out.

Vick and Young's careers have been very up and down. I thought Vick would become a top 5, if not best ever, QB in league history (and now maybe he will, but he got worse when he was with the Falcons).

Cunningham was great for stretches, but didn't seem to sustain long enough to a HOFer. McNabb I can't quite figure out - he seemed like a sure HOFer, but that Super Bowl performance really hurt, and he has not been very good for about the last five years or so.

The only black QB that I can think of with a long HOF Kelly, Marino, Fouts, etc. type career is Warren Moon.

But, I just don't know why this is?

Perhaps it has to do with the way in which they are coached. Many years ago, when I brought up the fact that Vick had the talent but was poorly coached, you scoffed at the notion, claiming that Vick was not smart enough to be an NFL QB. 5 years later, with a new team and good offensive coaching staff, you have been proven wrong.

Perhaps it has to do with the way in which they are coached. Many years ago, when I brought up the fact that Vick had the talent but was poorly coached, you scoffed at the notion, claiming that Vick was not smart enough to be an NFL QB. 5 years later, with a new team and good offensive coaching staff, you have been proven wrong.

Actually, Michael Vick would disagree with you. I was watching OTLs on ESPN yesterday, and Vick attributed his resurgence to actually working hard. He explained that in Atlanta he used to spend most of his free time on dog fighting, and not on watching film.

Actually, Michael Vick would disagree with you. I was watching OTLs on ESPN yesterday, and Vick attributed his resurgence to actually working hard. He explained that in Atlanta he used to spend most of his free time on dog fighting, and not on watching film.

Vick just got out of prison. Half the country still believes that he shouldn't be playing in the NFL. Of course he's going to be contrite on TV.

You think he's going to outright say that his coaching in ATL sucked?

You think he's going to say his #1 receiver was Peerless Price who sucked balls?

I think not. You'll see a contrite person who repeatedly says "I'm sorry" whether he truly believes it or not.

Sure, he probably slacked a bit in ATL but that wasn't the root cause of his play. The root cause was a lack of supporting cast and poor coaching.