Chicago tips and reccomendations

BillsPride12

My and my buddy are finally stepping up to the plate and doing something we have been talking about for years. I am finally going to make the trek and catch my favorite Basketball team in live action, the Chicago Bulls. We are looking into going down there the weekend of DEC. 10-13 and are looking into either catching the Bulls-Lakers or Bulls-Timberwolves game. Preferebly we would like to see the Lakers game but I'm sure tickets are going to be through the roof for that one. The bears are home against the patriots* that weekend and we are looking into tickets for that game as well. So here I am turning to my messageboard buddies for any and all Chicago related advice, reccomendations, tips, ticket connections, good places to drink or go out to eat, feedback on the Soldier Field tailgating scene, etc

My and my buddy are finally stepping up to the plate and doing something we have been talking about for years. I am finally going to make the trek and catch my favorite Basketball team in live action, the Chicago Bulls. We are looking into going down there the weekend of DEC. 10-13 and are looking into either catching the Bulls-Lakers or Bulls-Timberwolves game. Preferebly we would like to see the Lakers game but I'm sure tickets are going to be through the roof for that one. The bears are home against the patriots* that weekend and we are looking into tickets for that game as well. So here I am turning to my messageboard buddies for any and all Chicago related advice, reccomendations, tips, ticket connections, good places to drink or go out to eat, feedback on the Soldier Field tailgating scene, etc

Fado in river north- great Irish bar

anywhere in Wrigley ville (Cubby Bear or Sluggers) or Lincoln Park for heavy boozing and girls DTF

blue Chicago or clue Chicago on Clark or buddy guys or Kingston Mines for blues

billy goat on lower Michigan and Wacker= cheeze burger cheeze burger

do not hang around the U.C. -get in and get out for the game

I usually tip 25% when in Chicago.

That is about right... Usually, double the tax right in Cook county (what is it about 10%?) :doh::P

Anyway... Hit GreekTown if you like Greek food/all things Greek:

GreeKTown

Maybe a bit cold on the 12th of December... But there should be warm food establishments around... Closest to Mexico you can get without leaving the States:

Nuevo Maxwell Street: Every Sunday Morning

That is if you like fea markets and such...

Fado in river north- great Irish bar

anywhere in Wrigley ville (Cubby Bear or Sluggers) or Lincoln Park for heavy boozing and girls DTF

blue Chicago or clue Chicago on Clark or buddy guys or Kingston Mines for blues

billy goat on lower Michigan and Wacker= cheeze burger cheeze burger

do not hang around the U.C. -get in and get out for the game

Ahhh... Fadó... Know it well! Bloomsday 1998 (June 16th)... That is where my wife's water broke a month early and she went into labor with our first child... Good thing the pub is dark!:ph34r: Anyway, having to retrieve the car and race back (Odyssey) to northwest Indiana 9(hospital) was a task... I didn't think she seen me lining the car's interior with sheets when I went to retrieve it from the parking lot...:blush:

Quite a "Bloomsday" (in the literal sense, not the last name) to say the least... My son was born many hours later on the 17th via c-section and a complicated labor at first.

Ahhh... Fadó... Know it well! Bloomsday 1998 (June 16th)... That is where my wife's water broke a month early and she went into labor with our first child... Good thing the pub is dark!:ph34r: Anyway, having to retrieve the car and race back (Odyssey) to northwest Indiana 9(hospital) was a task... I didn't think she seen me lining the car's interior with sheets when I went to retrieve it from the parking lot...:blush:

Quite a "Bloomsday" (in the literal sense, not the last name) to say the least... My son was born many hours later on the 17th via c-section and a complicated labor at first.

Okay, hold on a second. Fado as an authentic Irish Pub??? Is that not like saying go to Sbarros to get a slice when you are in NY? Please go some authentic places..and BTW while the Goat is famous, not a big fan here.

Okay, hold on a second. Fado as an authentic Irish Pub??? Is that not like saying go to Sbarros to get a slice when you are in NY? Please go some authentic places..and BTW while the Goat is famous, not a big fan here.

If I am correct... Wasn't Fadó sorta moved brick-by-brick from Ireland to Chicago?

:P

Anyway... I get what you are saying... I never really said what you said.

Oh... And why fly or go anyway outside of being local when your wife is 8 months pregnant?... Unless you are Sarah Palin and then you just fly the whole west coast and drop the kid in when you get back to AK soil?:P Does your rebuke have something to do with "having the world at your doorstep?" :D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

If I am correct... Wasn't Fadó sorta moved brick-by-brick from Ireland to Chicago?

Anyway... I get what you are saying... I never really said what you said.

Nah, big chain.Maybe a good place open Chi Town back then, but now that place is just a chain like Olive Garden . Very Disney-esque feel to them. BTW, he also mentions Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park. Back when I lived in Chicago(86-87), those were the places we hung out, but got a feeling maybe some areas has changed just a slight bit since then ;)

Fun town though to be single and right out of school, OP should have a great time there. Also, the poster who said "get in get out" of the United center dead on, mugged outside the ole Chicago Stadium after a Hawks game once

Edited by plenzmd1

Nah, big chain.Maybe a good place open Chi Town back then, but now that place is just a chain like Olive Garden . Very Disney-esque feel to them. BTW, he also mentions Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park. Back when I lived in Chicago(86-87), those were the places we hung out, but got a feeling maybe some areas has changed just a slight bit since then ;)

Fun town though to be single and right out of school, OP should have a great time there. Also, the poster who said "get in get out" of the United center dead on, mugged outside the ole Chicago Stadium after a Hawks game once

:lol: We haven't been there (Fadó) since that fateful day in 1998... My wife hit the washroom with a friend... I slammed the rest of my grilled salmon and headed to pick-up the car... That was the last I seen of the place 121/2 years ago!

:lol: We haven't been there (Fadó) since that fateful day in 1998... My wife hit the washroom with a friend... I slammed the rest of my grilled salmon and headed to pick-up the car... That was the last I seen of the place 121/2 years ago!

just to clarify- never said authentic but when we used to go there they had plenty of Irish nationals working- maybe it's changed but some friends went a few months ago and had a great time

Edited by Robert Paulson

just to clarify- never said authentic but when we used to go there they had plenty of Irish nationals working- maybe it's changed but some friends went a few months ago and had a great time

Honestly... That is the first slack being thrown around about the place (Plez)... We just never had a chance to go back... Like anything else, the more word gets around the more popluar it becomes. I bet it is still a nice place... I would like to go back. We had a great time until I heard those fateful words... Thank God I was only into one beer! :D

Honestly... That is the first slack being thrown around about the place (Plez)... We just never had a chance to go back... Like anything else, the more word gets around the more popluar it becomes. I bet it is still a nice place... I would like to go back. We had a great time until I heard those fateful words... Thank God I was only into one beer! :D

Did not mean to come off as a know it all, just that you can go to FADO in, I would say, at least 15-20 cities now..sure there are some very cool drinking establishments unique to Chicago, Goose island being an example,

I also had plenty of great times at the Wild Hare, just an awesome place for live raggae and just a great atmosphere

http://www.wildharemusic.com/

Edited by plenzmd1

Just got our tickets to the Bears game...has anyone tailgated at Solider Field before? From what I am seeing so far it looks like we might need to get a parking permit to tailgate there? I hope not because the bears tickets were very pricey. Also are Chicago folks as accomodating as Bills fans because we will obviously not be bringing a grill or anything with us but if we brought a 30 pack to the game to share with some fans would we would be able to score some grub? I would like to think there are people like that out there, I know me and my group did our fair share of things like that when we had season tickets.