whats Jim Kellys job?

chasincars

I believe its basically an embassador type position. Write the occasional article for the bills website, appear at a few games, do a couple of public appearances during both the season and offseason and remind all the remaining Bills fans of the "glory Days"

He isn't a coach, or a scout (I believe Thurman has a position where he does a little scouting), his job is just to make appearances and promote the team

It's been a couple years from what I recall but I can't find an article to verify. It's some sort of "team ambassador" function.

Sounds about right. I just never knew it was an official gig.

I believe its basically an embassador type position. Write the occasional article for the bills website, appear at a few games, do a couple of public appearances during both the season and offseason and remind all the remaining Bills fans of the "glory Days"

He isn't a coach, or a scout (I believe Thurman has a position where he does a little scouting), his job is just to make appearances and promote the team

I heard this rumor last winter when Nix got hired but it's not true. If you follow thurman on twitter he has talked before about how he thinks 'players know players' but he does not have a scouting position. A week or two ago he got into a twitter war with the infamous Tim Graham and Tim made fun of thurman about the front office position he has been looking for but can't seem to secure.

His job is being Jim Kelly and I would hazard a guess that no one does it better.

In terms of the specific financial arrangements between the two I think the ruling line is the one where the Bills traditionally say about all contractual interactions that they do not reveal details of contracts.

The general thing which we do know is that Mr. Ralph made a "handshake" deal a number of years back to not sign a new contract a year before he hit FA as the Bills were hard up against the cap but to reward him in his next contract (this strikes me as a clear violation of the salary cap but given this was a personal and not a written deal between a player and an owner neither the NFLPA or the team owners were not benefited by complaining- though I would not be shocked if part of the reason why Mr. Ralph took an inordinantly long time to make the HOF was the cavalier manner he blew off the cap.

At any rate, only Mr. Ralph could make such a deal and he simply made a bad football judgment that even this fan could see from the upper reaches of the Ralph and on TV saw Kelly was done a year before the Bills reached taking TC arguably early and then rushed him a long to start.

It would be my GUESS that either Mr. Ralph simply wrote Jimbo a check for a cool million or instead he gave Jimbo what in essence was an annuity which paid Jimbo the million in upfront worth over several years with a kicker which guaranteed a specific rate of return on the million as it was paid out over 10 or even 20 years.

Such a payment would benefit Mr. Ralph as the upfront outlay of a large was of cash is not on the books, Jimbo is financially bound to the Bills for a long time and has to answer to Mr. Ralph. For Jimbo there is likely no investment he could make with a wad o cash if he received it upfront than investing in the Bills who are committed to extensive payouts.

Even better for both, with this type of deal it is virtually impervious to challenge by either the NFL or the NFLPA (hence they penalized him by keeping him out of the HOF.

My GUESS is that this the type of deal that the Bills and Jimbo likely have since they do not generally release details.

Does anyone know what Jim Kelly does working for the Bills? I know its not working with the QB's which is what he should be doing instead of only putting in his opinion. Who's P mannings qb coach? frank reicht (sp?)

Hunt, fish, hunt some more, hang out at his various cabins in the woods. Once every few months, say something stupid so the Bills faithful won't forget he is around. Keep reminding people that he has a group together to buy the Bills (we can hope, but I will believe it when I see it). Don't get me wrong, Kelly is probably my all time favorite player, but enough is enough of his "don't draft California QBs", and other crap. I guess he doesn't realize that Bills fans won't forget what he did for this team, mainly because 100 years from now, it will still be the high point in the history of this franchise. As far as working for the team, I too believe it is just some type of ambassodor, which is appropriate, since of the two most famous Bills ever, he is the one not in jail.

Edited by billsfreak