Positional Needs for November Needed

Astrobot

Here's what I have for the next consensus mock draft at DraftTek:

QB=P1 (Priority 1--there can be only one P1)

LT=P2

DE=P2

OLB=P2

RT=P3

NT=P3

ILB=P3

WR=P4

All other positions are listed at P9. There is no such thing as P7 or P8, and I haven't used any P6's.

We used to be the first pick but in the next draft, Carolina is. If Andrew Luck is taken by Carolina, then the computer will give the Bills the P2 player that is highest on the Big Board located here. Right now, it's Nick Fairley, who we see as a Marcus Stroud type DE with more speed, decent moves, and strong push. Definitely a headache requiring 2 blockers (and occasionally 3).

Everybody happy with the positional needs, especially the P2's?

Astro

Bills Analyst for DraftTek.com

As far as needs go,

TE needs to be on the list – Much larger need than WR. With Lee, Stevie, Parrish, and Nelson at WR I think we have plenty of young talent at the position. Our passing game lacks a presence at TE - we have nothing at TE.

C also needs to be on the list. Hangman was one of if not the worst C in the league last year, lets not forget that. This year he still isn’t great, he needs to be replaced if we want to beat the 3-4 teams in our division with their great NTs

RT should be higher than LT. I know that the importance of the LT position is higher, but we have a bunch of table scraps at RT with a different played starting each week. DBell has been ok at LT. RT is our biggest OL need, followed by C, then LT IMO.

PS I like the top of the draft and I think its accurate. Luck is the top pick if he declares and I really like a guy like Fairley if we cant add Luck.

LT=P2

DE=P2

OLB=P2

RT=P3

NT=P3

ILB=P3

WR=P4

All other positions are listed at P9. There is no such thing as P7 or P8, and I haven't used any P6's.

We used to be the first pick but in the next draft, Carolina is. If Andrew Luck is taken by Carolina, then the computer will give the Bills the P2 player that is highest on the Big Board located here. Right now, it's Nick Fairley, who we see as a Marcus Stroud type DE with more speed, decent moves, and strong push. Definitely a headache requiring 2 blockers (and occasionally 3).

Astro

Is the Panthers analyst really listing QB as P1 for a team that spent two draft picks on QBs last year?

I am still trying to figure out how to run a simulation with Luck completely off the board until 2012, when he'll become available - any 'how to' tips would be truly appreciated.

Dude, its November. No one knows if he is going to declare or not – not you not me not even Luck himself. Even if he has made up his mind he has 2 months to change it if he so pleases- how many times have we heard that flip flop.

This is draft day speculation in November. What would it look like if all the talented underclassmen – the guys who make or break a draft class each and every season – are not in the discussion? Fairley is an underclassmen too, so is Mallet, should we not discuss any of those guys too? We’d be left with 2nd rounder’s in the top 10 without discussing any underclassmen.

If you are so fed up with the Luck discussion feel free to not comment in every one of the threads his name appears.

As far as needs go,

TE needs to be on the list – Much larger need than WR. With Lee, Stevie, Parrish, and Nelson at WR I think we have plenty of young talent at the position. Our passing game lacks a presence at TE - we have nothing at TE.

C also needs to be on the list. Hangman was one of if not the worst C in the league last year, lets not forget that. This year he still isn’t great, he needs to be replaced if we want to beat the 3-4 teams in our division with their great NTs

RT should be higher than LT. I know that the importance of the LT position is higher, but we have a bunch of table scraps at RT with a different played starting each week. DBell has been ok at LT. RT is our biggest OL need, followed by C, then LT IMO.

PS I like the top of the draft and I think its accurate. Luck is the top pick if he declares and I really like a guy like Fairley if we cant add Luck.

there ya go, although wood is nasty at guard i still wonder if we can move him to center and throw wang in at r guard solidifying our interior. i also think bell played better at rt then he has at lt so if we pick up a lt and move him over to rt we could see him improve more. so i would say qb, lt, olb, de.

there ya go, although wood is nasty at guard i still wonder if we can move him to center and throw wang in at r guard solidifying our interior. i also think bell played better at rt then he has at lt so if we pick up a lt and move him over to rt we could see him improve more. so i would say qb, lt, olb, de.

my brain definitely isn't what it used to be, but when did Bell play RT? I thought he was thrown into the fire at LT with Peters' departure.

if luck goes number one and he will to somebody, then we should go DE, RT. OLB,ILB,NT,TE

I'd rather see them Trade Down, get an extra Pick or two, and still end up with Mallett... B-)

LT=P2

DE=P2

OLB=P2

RT=P3

NT=P3

ILB=P3

WR=P4

Astro

I was looking at your latest Mock Draft and I gotta say...I'm not sure where exactly y'all get your rankings but I'll go out on a limb and predict there is no way Locker goes before Mallett in the 2011 Draft...Mallett has done nothing but improve while Locker has actually regressed a little...And Mallett is doing his damage in the SEC...When it's all said and done (and you can record this to tell me I was a fool later... :D ) I doubt Locker will be among the first 20 or so Players taken and Mallet will go in the Top 10... B-)

Is the Panthers analyst really listing QB as P1 for a team that spent two draft picks on QBs last year?

No. He's listing CB (Amukamara) and DT43 (Fairley, most likely).

I didn't put Center higher b/c it's Wood's natural position.

I could be convinced to lower our WR priority and raise our TE priority. That seems logical. Agreed all?

QB=P2

C= P3

LT=P3

DE=P2

OLB=P2

RT=P2

NT=P3

ILB=P3

WR=P4

TE=P3

I made my suggested adjustments.

Luck trumps all.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

I could agree with those. I'd use P1 on QB, or leave QB at P2 and put a Grab in on Luck.

QB=P2

C= P3

LT=P3

DE=P2

OLB=P2

RT=P2

NT=P3

ILB=P3

WR=P4

TE=P3

I made my suggested adjustments.

Luck trumps all.

I could agree with those. I'd use P1 on QB, or leave QB at P2 and put a Grab in on Luck.

The Bills just have so many needs but the reason I put QB at P2 instead of P1 is because I think that getting a pass rush in 2011 would immediately lead to more Ws.

Finding a long term solution at QB can't outweigh the short term pass rushing need though.

Plus The RT position is such a mess that it is a top tier need, obviously you wouldn't draft a RT at #4 so I'm just assuming that the draftek player ranking will take care of not picking a RT too high.

Next would be more 2-4 year and depth needs.

Depth and starters at ILB depending on the 3-4, or 4-3 alignment

Depth at Rotation and NT, and DT depending on the 3-4, or 4-3 alignment.

One Solution at LT and RT is find a better LT than Bell then move Bell to RT so that is why I gave LT a P3

But Bell has been doing OK so its not a P2 right now.

TEs? Do we have those on the current roster?

If Wood is long term solution at C its kind of dynamic situation on a draft board. Basically don't draft a pure G, Draft a big intelligent C\G like the Colts do, They just draft Center\Guards and put them at Guard then you possibly create a line that should understand protections better.

I thought it was interesting you have WR at P4, there is a need, but if Nix has anything to do with the seemingly endless line of big WRs that the Chargers have (VJAx, Floyd, Nannee, Tutu, (I think Buster Davis is under 6",) Then he might draft WRs as his pet projects Or TEs (when Gates goes down they seem to have another big guy that steps in take his place) It is a lower priority need but WRs don't translate well to the NFL so you constantly need to bring new WRs to see how can work out, and they make pretty good Special Teamers same as LBs.

Maybe the lack of depth at LB, TE, and WR is another reason our special teams have been struggling more than usual.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood