Benching Kelly?

Wagon Circler

These comments started in another post. But it kind of startled me to hear.

I had already left Buffalo by 1986. What I remember was a freakin,' party when we brought Kelly in. After so much losing, it seemed that there was a tremendous amount of patience with him, knowing that the rest of the team was bad.

Once he got it rolling, the occasional stinker was tolerated. I remember one game in particular. Three horrible interceptions in the first 3 possessions against the Bengals. I believe he ended that game with 5 TD passes.

Inasmuch as there was no Stadium Wall back then, I'd like to know. Were people really calling

for his benching? The greatest QB in franchise history?

Or is this just some poster's delusion?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had already left Buffalo by 1986. What I remember was a freakin,' party when we brought Kelly in. After so much losing, it seemed that there was a tremendous amount of patience with him, knowing that the rest of the team was bad.

Once he got it rolling, the occasional stinker was tolerated. I remember one game in particular. Three horrible interceptions in the first 3 possessions against the Bengals. I believe he ended that game with 5 TD passes.

Inasmuch as there was no Stadium Wall back then, I'd like to know. Were people really calling

Ofcourse there were people calling for his benching.

People haven't changed much over time.

They just have access to a world wide place to spout their stupidity.

I remember the father of a friend calling for Kelly to benched in Super Bowl XXVII, he waned "The Reich one Baby!" This was pre game, before the blowout.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

In 1989 after Kelly got hurt & Reich won games when he was out, some fans wanted Reich to remain the starter. Marv was adamant that as soon as Kelly was ready, Reich was going back to the bench. So while there was a QB controversy with the fans & in the media, there was none on the team.

No, I wasn't delusional.

There are probably people out there that think the Bills would have won one of the Super Bowls if they had just played Frank Reich.

Come out wherever you are!

No, I wasn't delusional.

There are probably people out there that think the Bills would have won one of the Super Bowls if they had just played Frank Reich.

Haha, well, Reich did get plenty of PT -- especially in the first Dallas debacle.

Yes. Plenty of calls for Reich on WGR when Kelly played poorly.

You can say in retrospect that they were a small voice but that's not true. There was always a decent chorus of "Reich always plays well and we need consistency."

No, I wasn't delusional.

Gale Gilbert woulda gotten it done- or Rick Strom! :devil:

Ofcourse there were people calling for his benching.

People haven't changed much over time.

They just have access to a world wide place to spout their stupidity.

I remember the father of a friend calling for Kelly to benched in Super Bowl XXVII, he waned "The Reich one Baby!" This was pre game, before the blowout.

I think your friend's father was correct. Reich had been QB-ing the team very well (including that phenomenal comeback), Kelly was rusty and far from 100%. I thought Levy made a mistake not going with Reich. And it's not like backup QBs can't succeed in the Super Bowl; two of the three QBs who whipped the Bills in their four losses were backups.

A lot of Bills fans have forgotten that when Kelly got hurt Todd Collins came in and beat the Cowboys. There were numerous calls to replace Kelly with Collins!

Pro tip: most fans aren't too bright.

Thats exactly right, as Kelly's first game back was a stinker against the Dolphins.Man, I wonder what we would have happened to this franchise if collins had turned out to okay, not great, but okay for 7 or eight years.

WHAT THEY BENCHED KELLY?????? Who is going to be the QB now??????

Just joking. I mean no harm with that. I remember that people trashed Jim's car because he didn't want to come here at all. He was pissed that he had to come to Buffalo, and people would say if he doesn't want to come, then get rid of him.... I don't remember benching after he got here though. I feel that benching isn't a bad thing as fans make it out to be. In hockey, if the goalie is off and not playing good, they will bench him in a heart beat. I feel QB is the same way. Go with what works............

T'was a Monday Nighter at home. 5 TD's does not a 'stinker' make. The 3 picks came very early and Cinci only scored 7 pts. off them, IIRC. Lofton caught a couple bombs and Metz scored on a 4th down play-action. Turned into a blowout win. Vivid memories of Sam Wyche screaming at the officials and being penalized for standing on the field of play.

Anyway, Jimbo cost us a couple wins with late picks his first couple years but was worth the wait for the next 9 years. Frank was a reliable back-up, nothing more.

A lot of Bills fans have forgotten that when Kelly got hurt Todd Collins came in and beat the Cowboys. There were numerous calls to replace Kelly with Collins!

Pro tip: most fans aren't too bright.

Another tip: most people in general aren't too bright

I think your friend's father was correct. Reich had been QB-ing the team very well (including that phenomenal comeback), Kelly was rusty and far from 100%. I thought Levy made a mistake not going with Reich. And it's not like backup QBs can't succeed in the Super Bowl; two of the three QBs who whipped the Bills in their four losses were backups.

I agree, too. And, I never once thought they should have started Reich at any other time over Kelly, like some people though in '89, etc......But, Reich was so hot - with the comeback and the Pittsburgh game, and Kelly was not himself, that I think Marv should have went with the hot hand. Like you would go with a hot goalie in hockey.

are you kidding? of course people were calling for his benching. not only that, because he was throwing a pretty good number of picks early on lots of people were saying he couldnt and wouldnt adapt to the nfl and better dbs compared to the usfl

i mean kelly did struggle badly at times early on, but it was pretty obvious pretty quickly he could play. it was a bad bad team and he tried to do all of it by himself, which rarely works esp a new qb in a new league. he didnt really win people over until his last play dive in the ez to beat the fish, after that it was all downhill ... uphill ... eh whichever hill is better

T'was a Monday Nighter at home. 5 TD's does not a 'stinker' make. The 3 picks came very early and Cinci only scored 7 pts. off them, IIRC. Lofton caught a couple bombs and Metz scored on a 4th down play-action. Turned into a blowout win. Vivid memories of Sam Wyche screaming at the officials and being penalized for standing on the field of play.

Anyway, Jimbo cost us a couple wins with late picks his first couple years but was worth the wait for the next 9 years. Frank was a reliable back-up, nothing more.

Personally I thought he scored four touchdowns "in a single game" while playing for Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, “Spare Tire” Dixon.

Edited by wonderbread

are you kidding? of course people were calling for his benching. not only that, because he was throwing a pretty good number of picks early on lots of people were saying he couldnt and wouldnt adapt to the nfl and better dbs compared to the usfl

i mean kelly did struggle badly at times early on, but it was pretty obvious pretty quickly he could play. it was a bad bad team and he tried to do all of it by himself, which rarely works esp a new qb in a new league. he didnt really win people over until his last play dive in the ez to beat the fish, after that it was all downhill ... uphill ... eh whichever hill is better

I have to disagree with this. I don't remember anybody calling for him to be benched in '86 or '87. And, it sure didn't take until the Dolphins game in '89 to win over the people. They went 12-4 in '88 and went to the AFC Champ game.