Merriman Injury

RalphOP83

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who don't know, a strained calf is essentially an achilles injury (they're attached). His last reported injury in SD was a strained calf. It's not a good injury to have even though it sounds slight on an injury report. Stupid signing.

Whether or not anyone on this board believes my info really means nothing to me. I have posted around 60-70 times so that makes me a "rookie." I have been reading this board for around 5 years, but I do not post regularly because I do not feel like dealing with the cynics that are the majority on this board.

I have a pretty good pipeline of Bills info, and I share it sparingly. Another tidbit, from what I understand Roscoe's injury was a dislocation in the wrist of some kind, not a break.

I believe given the prior strained calf injury. Like I said, a stupid signing.

Edited by dave mcbride

So let me get up to speed in this thread. This is a "We spend money too frivolously" thread? Not a "Ralph is too cheap to take a small chance on a player who was once a sack machine" thread?

:wallbash:

EVEN IF the "anonymous source" is correct, how can you fault Buddy and Co. for trying to bring in a once great player who he was familiar with? Especially since it was to help on D?!?

They're trying to make smart moves. This was a smart, low risk signing. Can't control injuries, it happens. And we'll see what happens from here, since none of us know the real situation.

The same people who were crying for Merriman are now taking pot shots at Nix for signing him. Pick a side.

PTR

The same people who were crying for Merriman are now taking pot shots at Nix for signing him. Pick a side.

PTR

I thought it was a bad pickup from the beginning. I'm not changing my tune. It still amazes why so many people neglect to ask why a good organization (SD) got rid of a formerly good player, and why the Bills should pick that player up afterward.

Unbelievable.....Some people just like to complain about anything.

Now, THAT's laugh-out-loud funny!

I thought it was a bad pickup from the beginning. I'm not changing my tune. It still amazes why so many people neglect to ask why a good organization (SD) got rid of a formerly good player, and why the Bills should pick that player up afterward.

Me too. I'm beginning to turn on my opinion of Buddy Nix. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he arrived and set about building the team in his vision.

Now I'm beginning to doubt that he's bringing much in the way of benefit to the organization. He's made too many less-than-stellar moves (and non-moves) which suggests he's treading water and learning on the job. I would have to believe that an NFL GM would be networking his azz off across the league and down into the college level, keeping his ears and options open at all times. He should be working overtime at finding ways to improve the organization NOW, and have a damn good plan to build a team quickly. Instead, I'm seeing an unconnected man who crows about picking up a last minute cast-off from the Steelers on the "cheap".

Nix speaks about Urbik.

7:00 in and 8:00 in. In retrospect, those words are very telling regarding Nix's philosophy. I thought he would have a more sophisticated approach to building the team. But it appears not so. He's had the opportunity to bring in better players and hasn't, instead he favors players he and the coaching staff have a history with. That's looking bush league to me, and this philosophy of building a team has sunk the season.

And yet any time any player is cut from another team we cry and wail why-of-why won't the Bills sign so-and-so? Is Ralph cheap? Don't we want to win? So-and-so is better than anyone on our team now! Waaaah wahhhh! It's more predictable than the sun rising in the morning.

PTR

I don't care how rich you are. It stings to lose 2 mill for nothing. Ralph is cheap blah blah blah. Sure he is.

PTR

So far in this same thread and in order have read, $1M, $1.7M and now $2M.

Kind of like the group experiment when you whisper some information around the room. After about 8 or 10 people something in the information changes.

So far in this same thread and in order have read, $1M, $1.7M and now $2M.

Kind of like the group experiment when you whisper some information around the room. After about 8 or 10 people something in the information changes.

His 2010 salary is $2,978,630

The Bills are on the hook for half.

Did anybody else think it was kind of odd that the Bills picked SM up but had never even talked to him? Why have a PC held for picking up a guy that's only played 6 downs of football and off the waiver wire? And what to make of the explanation that "even if it don't work, the move was made and our thought was we tried to make our team better"?

Because the team is 0-8. When you're 0-8, you'll try things like that. I can't blame them for signing him, they took a chance with relatively no risk. If it works out, they'll look good. If not, I doubt it's something anyone is going to remember down the line anyway. By NFL standards, they signed him for very little.

I also don't buy that his career is necessarily over. Players have come back from injuries like this before, no matter what the "inside sources" have to say.

I have a few inside sources that tell me merriman has a partial tear in the achilles that will put him out for 6-8 weeks. I'm not going to reveal my sources but I will say that its not a friend of a friend of a friend.

Is your source an enemy of a friend of a friend, or a friend of an enemy of a friend, or a enemy of an enemy of an enemy?

Some people just complain when we don't sign a player and some complain when we take a chance on a player. The dumb thing is, it's the same people doing both.

This would be a great argument if one thought every situation was exactly the same even if viewed superficially.

On the other hand, there is a big difference between picking up, let's say, a young player with potential that was a victim of a numbers game on a good team with depth and taking a wild hair on a veteran that is almost universally regarded as seriously damaged goods and hasn't played well in years. Throw in that the Bills took the chance blindly and (according to Nix) without even talking to Merriman and it seems a bit, well, spontaneous rather than carefully planned. Throw in the marketing-only angles of holding a press conference and essentially saying in effect, that the fans have to be thrown a bone once in a while and the difference of motives might be what they seem to suggest.

This would be a great argument if one thought every situation was exactly the same even if viewed superficially.

On the other hand, there is a big difference between picking up, let's say, a young player with potential that was a victim of a numbers game on a good team with depth and taking a wild hair on a veteran that is almost universally regarded as seriously damaged goods and hasn't played well in years. Throw in that the Bills took the chance blindly and (according to Nix) without even talking to Merriman and it seems a bit, well, spontaneous rather than carefully planned. Throw in the marketing-only angles of holding a press conference and essentially saying in effect, that the fans have to be thrown a bone once in a while and the difference of motives might be what they seem to suggest.

Except that never happened. Watch the Merriman presser Merriman says he spoke with Nix prior.

Plus 2 other teams made a claim for him so the Bills weren't alone in thinking there was something left in the tank.

There is plenty to attack the Billy Goats' management for this is not one.

The rolled they dice and took a chance to add a possible impact player for pretty cheap.

What it is the downside. 1.9 mil in salary? That's only 4 Kelsay game checks, not a bad deal.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood