Carnival Cruise Loses Power at Sea

Rob's House

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toilets down for almost 24 hours that is what i seem to have read.

They're in port now. This article says 12 hours without toilets:

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=C1

But then it also mentions backed up toilets earlier, so who knows?

I'm usually a glass-half-full kinda guy though, so I know I'd look at it as a free adventure. :)

No we won't blame the hurricane on you but we absolutely will blame the breakdown of the radar system on the ship that caused the damn thing to sail right into the hurricane. I'm never flying with you .

We didn't sail into it - it just caused us to not be able to go to Royal Caribbean's private island due to rough seas.

I was in downtown San Diego last night. The Cruiser is still sitting there. How do you replace an engine for a big ship like that? It reminds me of an empty stadium after a season or like the old Aud just sitting there lifeless. There aren't many spaces for ships so they are going to have to figure what they are going to do and where they are going to do it. Other Cruisers will need the space. A good number of people took the offer to stay in a S.D hotel and made the best of it. A friend who works at a SD hotel said they had set up eating arrangements for the cruise guests. He said it was very noticeable how hungry the people were based on how much they ate. It could have been a lot worse.

Local TV coverage:

http://www.10news.com/news/25677866/detail.html

Spun - To answer your question about how this was going to get repaired, there was some suggestion that the ship might have to go to dry dock.

The thing that is just getting at me is how these people think they have been through the most traumatic event of all time. COME ON MAN!! :wallbash: Not eating or eating lightly for a few days might be of help to a fair number of those passengers.

Edited by BuffaloBud

Spun - To answer your question about how this was going to get repaired, there was some suggestion that the ship might have to go to dry dock.

The thing that is just getting at me is how these people think they have been through the most traumatic event of all time. COME ON MAN!! :wallbash: Not eating or eating lightly for a few days might be of help to a fair number of those passengers.

I actually found the experience to be a lot of fun. (Except of course for not being able to take a ****)

Edited by Rob's House

They're in port now. This article says 12 hours without toilets:

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=C1

But then it also mentions backed up toilets earlier, so who knows?

I'm usually a glass-half-full kinda guy though, so I know I'd look at it as a free adventure. :)

As a retired Navy engineer I might be able to shed some light on this. These ships are equipped with a sewage system known as VCHT which is Vacuum Contaminated Holding Tank. The reason the toilets didn't work is because of the lack of power to run the vacuum pumps. As far as the cause of all this I'm guessing it was a crank case explosion in one of the diesel engines which also drive the ships electrical generators. There are a lot of redundencies built into these systems so the damage must have been very extensive. There are shipyards in SD that could handle this type of repair with no problem.

THANK YOU!!! I wasn't sure if I was the only one thinking this also. To listen to some of the reporters covering it, or the passengers, you'd think it was another Andrea Doria or Achille Lauro.

THANK YOU!!! I wasn't sure if I was the only one thinking this also. To listen to some of the reporters covering it, or the passengers, you'd think it was another Andrea Doria or Achille Lauro.

Fifty-one people? That's it!? I thought it was like a thousand! That's no tragedy! How many people do you lose on a normal cruise? Thirty!? Forty?!

The refund and vouchers were straight. The problem is when you crushed a box of beer the night before and have to take a **** in the worst of ways, and there's no way to flush. That's a bummer.

You should be fine with RCI, I see these stories in the news every so often and it's always a Carnival ship.

You are at sea!... Over the rail with a bucket! How hard can that be. Scrounging around for a mop bucket and rope may be hard though... But if you are the first to get the jump to the janitor's closet... No problem I suppose.

Then if it is "yellow," "let it mellow."

Wow... We really are going soft as a culture.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You are at sea!... Over the rail with a bucket! How hard can that be. Scrounging around for a mop bucket and rope may be hard though... But if you are the first to get the jump to the janitor's closet... No problem I suppose.

Then if it is "yellow," "let it mellow."

Wow... We really are going soft as a culture.

Damn, I just saw this and read all the way through to find that you just beat me to it.

Absolutely! Crap in a can or a bag or bucket. Wizz in a bottle and heave it overboard.

Not too hard to figure out.

Plus the flotsam might find its way to Guam and help it keep afloat.

The thing I remember most was taking my daughter out for a while on the water slide only to see the masses of kids (and parents WTF are you doing in there) with more flesh then water.

Ugh.....

I should have forked out a little more for one of the balcony rooms

Always always always get a balcony!

As a retired Navy engineer I might be able to shed some light on this. These ships are equipped with a sewage system known as VCHT which is Vacuum Contaminated Holding Tank. The reason the toilets didn't work is because of the lack of power to run the vacuum pumps. As far as the cause of all this I'm guessing it was a crank case explosion in one of the diesel engines which also drive the ships electrical generators. There are a lot of redundencies built into these systems so the damage must have been very extensive. There are shipyards in SD that could handle this type of repair with no problem.

As a retired engineer can you tell me how 1000 tons of steel floats without any engines working?

Oh wait, never mind. I forgot the "fabricated story" method of flotation.

As a retired engineer can you tell me how 1000 tons of steel floats without any engines working?

Oh wait, never mind. I forgot the "fabricated story" method of flotation.

:lol:

The ship is watertight. There is more air in the ship than there is steel and the combination of the air/steel displaces the water. The engines have nothing to do with floating, they move the ship. Now if they were in say 20-30 foot seas then there would have been issues because the ship wouldn't be able to maneuver.

Displacement. For your homework tonight, go home and fill your kitchen sink with water, grab a wide flat pan like a brownie pan, place it on the water and watch it float