Andrew Luck on Jim Rome at 2PM ET

bbb

I agree, but Luck's decision could come down to IF there is a Rookie Cap in 2012 after the CBA negotiations in 2011...

Meaning, Luck could be the last rookie first overall with a huge rookie contract in 2011...

His parents say stay, but after the NCAA Bowl season comes to a close, agents will talk him into the NFL Draft...they will show Jake Locker's demise of going back for one more year...utilize the possibility of the 2012 rookie cap & focus Luck on being #1 in 2011!

Hopefully they'll also review the sad tale of Brian Brohm...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2011...First Overall can get upwards of $80mil + contract

2012...First Overall would be drastically less...Mort before the Draft in 2010 said contracts for the first overall spot could go down to $30-40 mill per 6-8 year contract or even lower...if there is a cap voted on before or after the next CBA!

You decide!

BUt dont you understand??

College degree > $80M contract with about 20M guaranteed

I dont think any of the 2011 picks will be signed until a new CBA is in place. Teams will hold the rights to the players, but no contracts will be given out until a new CBA is agreed upon. I think the obnoxious signing bonuses and guarantees for top picks are already over.

BUt dont you understand??

College degree > $80M contract with about 20M guaranteed

Huh?

I have multiple degrees and over 12 years of education past high school, but I just don't understand this. I guess/hope your being sarcastic.

Well, if anything this interview does, it should stop The Senator from stating Luck is staying at Stanford ad nauseum and like it's gospel in every thread.

Huh?

I have multiple degrees and over 12 years of education past high school, but I just don't understand this. I guess/hope your being sarcastic.

Well, if anything this interview does, it should stop The Senator from stating Luck is staying at Stanford ad nauseum and like it's gospel in every thread.

Yes that was very sarcastic.

Really it makes no sense for him to return to school, especially for being rated a #1 pick. He can only get hurt or have his stock drop. Theres a looming rookie cap too.

It was said on the first page of this thread. The best thing we could hope for is that Harbaugh gets hired for an NFL job this offseason. That would probably be the only thing that could make Luck's declaration a sure thing. Why would he go back for another year with a new coach, new offense, etc?

2012...First Overall would be drastically less...Mort before the Draft in 2010 said contracts for the first overall spot could go down to $30-40 mill per 6-8 year contract or even lower...if there is a cap voted on before or after the next CBA!

You decide!

There will not be another HUGE rookie contract. The CBA is voided after this season and the next draft class will fall under the new CBA which will contain a rookie wage scale with salaries getting completely out of hand. I'm thinking the limit will be set @ about $20-$25 million guaranteed for #1 overall selections. It's still alot of money, but not the $50 million Bradford got.

There will not be another HUGE rookie contract. The CBA is voided after this season and the next draft class will fall under the new CBA which will contain a rookie wage scale with salaries getting completely out of hand. I'm thinking the limit will be set @ about $20-$25 million guaranteed for #1 overall selections. It's still alot of money, but not the $50 million Bradford got.

This is a question I'd need a link for. Not calling you a liar but I've discussed this multiple times and never found out the exact answer...

People toss around "rookie salary cap" and "rookie wage scale" like they are already in place and absolutely certain. This still needs to be collectively bargained, and you can bet it'll be a big point of contention.

I think I'd default to assuming that the next CBA will be more similar to the last one than different from it.

People toss around "rookie salary cap" and "rookie wage scale" like they are already in place and absolutely certain. This still needs to be collectively bargained, and you can bet it'll be a big point of contention.

I think I'd default to assuming that the next CBA will be more similar to the last one than different from it.

Everything I've heard is that the veterans and the owners are all for this. It lowers the hit that will be taken for drafting a bust and frees up more money for established talent that is already present in the league.

I agree, but Luck's decision could come down to IF there is a Rookie Cap in 2012 after the CBA negotiations in 2011...

Meaning, Luck could be the last rookie first overall with a huge rookie contract in 2011...

His parents say stay, but after the NCAA Bowl season comes to a close, agents will talk him into the NFL Draft...they will show Jake Locker's demise of going back for one more year...utilize the possibility of the 2012 rookie cap & focus Luck on being #1 in 2011!

Yeah, agreed.

A whole lotta of this.

OK Ralph, if you are still alive next year, you need to offer Harbaugh 20 million and have him bring Mr. Luck along.....

If the Bills hired that jerk Harbaugh as HC that would officially do it for me as a Bills fan. I can endure the losing, the pitiful performances, but having to watch that arrogant SOB coach my team would be the very end.

Everything I've heard is that the veterans and the owners are all for this. It lowers the hit that will be taken for drafting a bust and frees up more money for established talent that is already present in the league.

The owners are definitely for it, but the players want the money saved on rookies to go to the veterans, the pensions, and health care for the old-timers.

You decide!

If owners know they are going to lockout players why would they sign and pay huge money to rookies that won't play?

They don't lose anything by waiting until the Lockout is over to sign rookies, they own the rights until February.

One of the major issues in the labor negotiations is rookie salary cap, the NFLPA isn't completely opposed to some sort of rookie salary cap. So again why would a team pay the #1 pick 65+ mil in guaranteed money with a huge signing bonus then lock the players out?

If the Bills hired that jerk Harbaugh as HC that would officially do it for me as a Bills fan. I can endure the losing, the pitiful performances, but having to watch that arrogant SOB coach my team would be the very end.

If by some miracle we could get Harbaugh, we should be throwing him a parade, not leaving as fans. So if we get Harbaugh & Luck-goodbye & don't come back when we're in the Super Bowl.

Anyone who would rather lose than get one of the hottest coaches out there is a self admitted loser.

Give me an arrogant winner over a loser. I guess you really loved it when Todd Collins replaced Jim Kelly, sure felt good to get rid of that arrogant SOB Kelly & replace him with the mild mannered Collins, didn't it?

College coaches rarely succeed in the NFL. Just say no to Harbaugh.

How many of those college coaches played for over a decade at QB in the NFL, and come from a coaching family that includes a successful NFL coach? Harbaugh is not your typical college coach who has never been in an NFL locker room before.

Don't say no to a guy based on what other guys with totally different backgrounds have done. That's as bad as the guys who say no to Andrew Luck because Trent Edwards sucked & was injury prone. Once again, a bad comparison.

I think Luck will come out. I don't think he is going for a National Championship, and I think the opportunity to be the top pick will be too much, especially considering Locker as well as the potential of getting hurt.

I would be disappointed if the Bills hire Harbaugh. I think he could be fine coach, but I think it is too much transition, especially with all the issues the Bills have had with Rookie head coaches. I do not have a problem with Gailey because I think he is not concerned about winning this year, but is trying to build for the future. If the team is this bad next year or the year after, I will have a completely different opinion of him, but for now, I can deal with the losing if they can select a difference maker in the draft.

In addition to the aforementioned reasons for Luck to come out - the Locker/Brohm factor and the chance of injury, wouldn't there be the possibility that the labor strife could work our favor?

If we had the number one pick, we could negotiate with him right away, and tell him here is what you'll make guaranteed if you come out this year (even if it's thru back channels). And, we can get it all done before the draft and before any labor thing is set.....That is if Ralph and Littman would be up for it.