Gaily vs Jauron

Nasty

I see many of you compare Jauron and Gaily as far as coaching styles and of course there win/loss records. And many of you believe we were better off with Jauron at the helm instead of Gaily, probably because with Jauron we were in every game and he did finish with 7-9 records 3 years in a row. With the 7-9 records I think that was all we were going to get out of Jauron and nothing more. But I for one believe Gaily is a way better coach then Jauron ever could have been. Yes I know we haven’t won a game yet and we are a long way from making any noise in the division much less the playoffs. When Marv Leavy started out with the Bills mid season in 1986 and finished with a 2-5 record the next year was 7-8 then 9-7 (1st in the East) then they started there dominance of the late 80’s early 90’s. Leavy also had many of the pieces already in place to the puzzle Reed, Kelly (already drafted but playing with Houston Gamblers but technically on roster), Smith, the only one missing was Thurman Thomas. I believe Gaily and Nix have a plan, I use to think that was just all talk, but they have stood there ground with many of there decisions which to me means they know what they are doing. It takes time to get players and we have to give them that. The thing with Gaily is he has this team playing better ever week and I see a lot of upside with this team. Making some noise in the East next year and a serious run for the East in 2 years making the playoffs, and then making some serious noise in the playoffs in 3 years. Just stick with this team and have faith.

I am sorry I forgot a 12-4 year in there for Levy, it was 2-5, 7-9, 12-4, 9-7,

Isn't this really who is the worse of two bad head coaches? If pressed I'll go with Gailey as he and Nix have made some incredibly stupid moves and non-moves since arriving resulting in a laughing stock win loss record and no visible plan for improvement.

Their visible plan for improvement is to tank the season to get a top-five draft pick to either use on a franchise quarterback.

Wins are wins and losses are losses. But which way is the team heading? After 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons all I could think was that this team was getting worse. They sure weren't getting better. Now they're 0-8. But they're playing with more passion and desire than any of the previous 7-9 teams. The last 3 years if they were down by 3 going into the 4th quarter I knew the game was over. Now I have hope. It hasn't materialized yet, but it will. And I never heard Jauron say that a loss was like a kick in the gut....only that it was tough to win in the NFL. Even though the Bills aren't winning, I feel better than I have in a long time.....

I see many of you compare Jauron and Gaily as far as coaching styles and of course there win/loss records. And many of you believe we were better off with Jauron at the helm instead of Gaily, probably because with Jauron we were in every game and he did finish with 7-9 records 3 years in a row. With the 7-9 records I think that was all we were going to get out of Jauron and nothing more. But I for one believe Gaily is a way better coach then Jauron ever could have been. Yes I know we havent won a game yet and we are a long way from making any noise in the division much less the playoffs. When Marv Leavy started out with the Bills mid season in 1986 and finished with a 2-5 record the next year was 7-8 then 9-7 (1st in the East) then they started there dominance of the late 80s early 90s. Leavy also had many of the pieces already in place to the puzzle Reed, Kelly (already drafted but playing with Houston Gamblers but technically on roster), Smith, the only one missing was Thurman Thomas. I believe Gaily and Nix have a plan, I use to think that was just all talk, but they have stood there ground with many of there decisions which to me means they know what they are doing. It takes time to get players and we have to give them that. The thing with Gaily is he has this team playing better ever week and I see a lot of upside with this team. Making some noise in the East next year and a serious run for the East in 2 years making the playoffs, and then making some serious noise in the playoffs in 3 years. Just stick with this team and have faith.

What do you have to backup your opinion that Gailey is better than Jauron, other than hope, and maybe a prediction, but it can't be on success as an NFL coach. Gailey took over one of the best teams in Dallas and they went so far downhill so fast that he was handed his walking papers after just two seasons. Jauron in a few years in Chicago has a NFL Coach of the Year trophy on his dresser. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not a huge Jauron fan, and agree that we probably weren't going to do better than 7-9 with him, but I am not that convinced that we will even do that good with the current regime. Now to even compare either of the past two coaches to Marv Levy is silly and makes you look dumber than I am sure you really are. There was alot more on those early 90's teams than Kelly, Smith, Reed and Thomas. What was the first transaction the Bills made after Levy came in-signing an unknown, unwanted Special Teams player named Steve Tasker. Please don't bet your rent money that the Bills will be making noise in the AFC East next year then some "serious noise" in the playoffs after that, because I would hate to see you homeless. This new regime has already blown their first draft, maybe worse than any draft the Bills have had in nearly a decade. Gailey is obviously lost in trying to use Spiller, whom they foolishly used the #9 overall pick on, when they had glaring weaknesses at just about every position on the team except running back. He played as big a part two days ago in losing, basically throwing away a timeout that was vital in challenging a call that a blind nun in a coma wouldn't havce challenged. There are not many coaches in the league, if any that would have done better than Jauron did with the cast of players that he was given and the injuries over the past two seasons, but somehow, this year they are doing worse with basically the same roster yet healthier than last year.

Edited by billsfreak

I see many of you compare Jauron and Gaily as far as coaching styles and of course there win/loss records. And many of you believe we were better off with Jauron at the helm instead of Gaily, probably because with Jauron we were in every game and he did finish with 7-9 records 3 years in a row. With the 7-9 records I think that was all we were going to get out of Jauron and nothing more. But I for one believe Gaily is a way better coach then Jauron ever could have been. Yes I know we haven’t won a game yet and we are a long way from making any noise in the division much less the playoffs. When Marv Leavy started out with the Bills mid season in 1986 and finished with a 2-5 record the next year was 7-8 then 9-7 (1st in the East) then they started there dominance of the late 80’s early 90’s. Leavy also had many of the pieces already in place to the puzzle Reed, Kelly (already drafted but playing with Houston Gamblers but technically on roster), Smith, the only one missing was Thurman Thomas. I believe Gaily and Nix have a plan, I use to think that was just all talk, but they have stood there ground with many of there decisions which to me means they know what they are doing. It takes time to get players and we have to give them that. The thing with Gaily is he has this team playing better ever week and I see a lot of upside with this team. Making some noise in the East next year and a serious run for the East in 2 years making the playoffs, and then making some serious noise in the playoffs in 3 years. Just stick with this team and have faith.

I don't think hardly anyone feels this way. In fact, I believe the vast majority of people already think Gailey is 10 times better just because he figured out that Fitzpatrick was a better option at QB than Trent. However, the fact remains, he has 0 wins and a lot to prove. After London Fletcher, the talent Jauron had to work with was every bit as sparse as the talent Gailey has aside from Schobel. Gailey still has time to prove he was worth the hire but, whether or not he does actually have a plan, as of right now he has done NOTHING to prove he is any better than any of our previous terrible coaches. BTW, people forget that in 2007 with all the injuries and the defensive players we lost during the offseason, even getting 7 wins that season was actually a pretty coaching job.

As much as I would like to say Gailey, Jauron has a better win lost record. The Gailey Nix era has been an embarrassment. I wouldn't keep any coach that can't win a game.

I think Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 his first year. I don't see Gailey in that type of role.

You mention that you think Nix and Gailey have a plan other than retirement. Why couldn't they start implementing the plan last year.

Why are they waiting. I will believe the plan when I see it. I think most of the fans on this board have stuck with the team but we also know a team can be turned aroung in a year when management has a good plan and a sense of urgency.

I think that Gailey and Jauron are better in the coordinator role. I like Gailey's straight forwardness and he seems like a good evaluator of talent but Jauron clearly won more games although he could bore anyone to sleep.

Edited by VADC Bills

You want to believe that Gailey will lead us to something special and that is admirable. But to be quite honest, I think he is a terrible game manager. His challenge of Roscoe's catch late in the game was deplorable. The play calling against KC on the last drive and in OT was awful as well. (Unless you have a top 5 QB and an O line that will give your QB time to throw, there is no way you throw every down from an empty backfield which is what we did against KC.) And why do we defer to the second half whenever we win the coin flip? Get your offense the ball and lets roll. Gailey is 0-8 with the Bills. Our best chance to win a game will be this week against Detroit. However, you and everyone else know it will be a struggle for us to win ANY game this year. And a lot of the blame has to fall on Gailey. Drafting Spiller and trading Marshawn was just a terrible move (Spiller looks like he has never run the football in his life) Marshawn was much better as a rookie. I will be very pleasantly surprised if Gailey can turn this team around. I have my doubts and am one of the few on this board who would not be surprised if Gailey gets the ax after this season. What credibility does a head coach have who wins 0-2 games in a season? With no cred, why will the players even bother to follow him. The next 8 weeks will be quite interesting. If we don't win this week, the bottom will start to fall out.

I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that the Bills' offense is a lot better coached this year than it was last year. Look at all the points they put up against the Ravens, not to mention other teams! Instead of being predictable, uncreative, and unproductive, the Bills offense now looks like it's being run by a real coaching staff! A very good real coaching staff.

Then there's the defense. Part of the reason for the defense's decline is the fact that it lost its best/only pass rusher. The fact that Stroud and others are getting on in years doesn't help either. There have been injuries to guys like Mitchell and McGee. It also doesn't help that the defensive personnel were selected for the Tampa-2, which the Bills are no longer running. I'll grant all that.

But the fact is that in Jauron's first year here, he was able to compile a 7-9 record while facing similar problems; and he did so largely on the strength of his defense.

The current quality of the Bills' defensive coaching appears to be very low, and is a significant step back from what we saw under Jauron's regime.

On a related note, the best defensive coordinator the Bills have had in decades--possibly ever--is currently looking for work. The 3-4 is a very good defensive scheme when implemented correctly. Wade Phillips knows how to do exactly that! :)

What do you have to backup your opinion that Gailey is better than Jauron, other than hope, and maybe a prediction, but it can't be on success as an NFL coach.

And what do you have to base your opinion on? Because it isn't facts.

Gailey took over one of the best teams in Dallas and they went so far downhill so fast that he was handed his walking papers after just two seasons.

Went downhill so fast he went to the playoffs both years. How terrible.

Jauron in a few years in Chicago has a NFL Coach of the Year trophy on his dresser.

This is a joke right? Yeah, he's got that trophy, and he backed it up with 8 losing seasons.

But feel free to keep clinging to that COTY award like it means something.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not a huge Jauron fan, and agree that we probably weren't going to do better than 7-9 with him, but I am not that convinced that we will even do that good with the current regime.

But you are a fan of the Dick. Just like you are a fan of Edwards.

Let me guess. Still not convinced Edwards is a lousy QB?

Now to even compare either of the past two coaches to Marv Levy is silly and makes you look dumber than I am sure you really are. There was alot more on those early 90's teams than Kelly, Smith, Reed and Thomas. What was the first transaction the Bills made after Levy came in-signing an unknown, unwanted Special Teams player named Steve Tasker. Please don't bet your rent money that the Bills will be making noise in the AFC East next year then some "serious noise" in the playoffs after that, because I would hate to see you homeless. This new regime has already blown their first draft, maybe worse than any draft the Bills have had in nearly a decade. Gailey is obviously lost in trying to use Spiller, whom they foolishly used the #9 overall pick on, when they had glaring weaknesses at just about every position on the team except running back. He played as big a part two days ago in losing, basically throwing away a timeout that was vital in challenging a call that a blind nun in a coma wouldn't havce challenged. There are not many coaches in the league, if any that would have done better than Jauron did with the cast of players that he was given and the injuries over the past two seasons, but somehow, this year they are doing worse with basically the same roster yet healthier than last year.

There it is. The Jauron apologist in you just dying to get out.

Yep, Jauron was "given" those players, like somehow he had no say in personnel decisions.

The Dick spent 4 off seasons, and 3.5 years pounding into the head of every player on his teams that losing was acceptable.

And you think the problem can be fixed in one off season.

Now, that's hysterical.

Yea well, lets see what you have to say when this team is 0-8 again this time next year....

The only area that looks half way decent is Ryan Fitzpatrick... that's it! But then he looked better then Edwards last year also until he kept throwing INT's and errant passes all over. Gailey is calling passing plays better then AVP or Turk Schonert ever did, but then you would expect a supposed offensive guru to be able to do that. Let's not forget that Schonert and AVP were handcuffed to a crap Mike Martz offensive scheme.

I'll give Gailey some credit in improving the passing offense, but not the running offense. Fred Jackson is making that horrible O line look like they can run block, they can't and they suck!! Fitz is making the O line look like they can pass block, they suck also. Look what happened to Fitz when the Bears turned up the pass rush. Gailey is about the equivalent of Mike Martz, not really worthy to be a head coach and not smart enough to build a power running game to go along with the passing game.

So in summation, the difference between Jauron and Gailey, It would be like comparing a a crap to a turd as they both stink and are pretty much worthless as head coaches.

What do you have to backup your opinion that Gailey is better than Jauron, other than hope, and maybe a prediction, but it can't be on success as an NFL coach. Gailey took over one of the best teams in Dallas and they went so far downhill so fast that he was handed his walking papers after just two seasons. Jauron in a few years in Chicago has a NFL Coach of the Year trophy on his dresser. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not a huge Jauron fan, and agree that we probably weren't going to do better than 7-9 with him, but I am not that convinced that we will even do that good with the current regime. Now to even compare either of the past two coaches to Marv Levy is silly and makes you look dumber than I am sure you really are. There was alot more on those early 90's teams than Kelly, Smith, Reed and Thomas. What was the first transaction the Bills made after Levy came in-signing an unknown, unwanted Special Teams player named Steve Tasker. Please don't bet your rent money that the Bills will be making noise in the AFC East next year then some "serious noise" in the playoffs after that, because I would hate to see you homeless. This new regime has already blown their first draft, maybe worse than any draft the Bills have had in nearly a decade. Gailey is obviously lost in trying to use Spiller, whom they foolishly used the #9 overall pick on, when they had glaring weaknesses at just about every position on the team except running back. He played as big a part two days ago in losing, basically throwing away a timeout that was vital in challenging a call that a blind nun in a coma wouldn't havce challenged. There are not many coaches in the league, if any that would have done better than Jauron did with the cast of players that he was given and the injuries over the past two seasons, but somehow, this year they are doing worse with basically the same roster yet healthier than last year.

It was stupid for me to compare our last two coaches to Levy but I was just trying to make a point that it takes time to turn things around and Levy jumped in the middle of the process with many pieces already in place where as Gaily is starting from scratch. As far as the last draft class goes, I don’t have a problem with it. Spiller is electric, Troupe is starting to hold his own, Moats is starting to contribute, and Cordaro is playing well even though they didn’t draft him he is still a rookie. The problem is fans expect these rookies to come right in to the league playing at the same level they were playing in college and a few players can do that, but that is only a hand full. Spiller could be more explosive if we got him the ball more in open space. I think he should take over the slot and we should use him more like the Vikes use Harvin (JMO).

As much as I would like to say Gailey, Jauron has a better win lost record. The Gailey Nix era has been an embarrassment. I wouldn't keep any coach that can't win a game.

I think Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 his first year. I don't see Gailey in that type of role.

You mention that you think Nix and Gailey have a plan other than retirement. Why couldn't they start implementing the plan last year.

Why are they waiting. I will believe the plan when I see it. I think most of the fans on this board have stuck with the team but we also know a team can be turned aroung in a year when management has a good plan and a sense of urgency.

I think that Gailey and Jauron are better in the coordinator role. I like Gailey's straight forwardness and he seems like a good evaluator of talent but Jauron clearly won more games although he could bore anyone to sleep.

The Bills are not where they are because of Gailey. Levy/Jauron destroyed this team with bad free agent signings and absolutely wretched drafts.

And as far as Jauron in a coordinating role, isn't it interesting that he couldn't land a job as such?

The Bills are not where they are because of Gailey. Levy/Jauron destroyed this team with bad free agent signings and absolutely wretched drafts.

And as far as Jauron in a coordinating role, isn't it interesting that he couldn't land a job as such?

He has found his right level. He is probably a decent DB coach.