SI's Jeff Pearlman should be ashamed.

I don't see anything so terrible. He's right, Buffalo is a cold place and a small town compared to San Diego. Hard to argue differently.

I don't much like what Mathison had to say, though.

I agree that San Diego is paradise. The weather is the same every day. Lewis Black said that being a weather man in San Diego is the easiest job in the world,

"Hows the weather out there today Jack"

"...NICE!!!"

He is dogging Buffalo though and I resent that. Buffalo is home for me and this guy is trying to make the point that just because it's cold here that we live in Nowheresville. Thats wrong.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo is a toilet pretty much in every way compared to San Diego.

If you have spent any time in SD it is difficult to disagree.

Born in Buffalo. Live in SD. SD > Buffalo. So what?

But what's the point in bashing the city? I don't get the article and it isn't nice. Nowhere is as nice as San Diego if you ask me, but does that mean all 300 million Americans should live here and every other place sucks? Besides, maybe it is just how I grew up, but football in the warm sunshine just doesn't seem right.

The same could be said about Green Bay too. Who would prefer Green Bay over San Diego? Hmmm...maybe a real football player? Maybe Merriman will love the Bills fans after being left out and cut from the Chargers? Maybe his path will be a little different than TO?

Try it one more time...They introduce Mathison as having this great life in sunny Phoenix as a salesman, and it's even greater given the living hell he went through being a starting NFL QB in Buffalo.

Yeah, we all grew up dreaming to be insurance agents in Phoenix! Not starting QBs in the NFL!

They said he had a "perfectly pleasant" life in Phoenix. That's glorifying insurance salesmen?

And where is the part where anybody puts "down the life of an NFL starting QB"? He quotes the insurance salesman as to his thoughts about the city and weather in Buffalo, which the salesman, it turns out, didn't like as much as SD or Phoenix.

You can't hate the piece if you wish, but why make up stuff when it speaks for itself?

I agree that San Diego is paradise. The weather is the same every day. Lewis Black said that being a weather man in San Diego is the easiest job in the world,

"Hows the weather out there today Jack"

"...NICE!!!"

He is dogging Buffalo though and I resent that. Buffalo is home for me and this guy is trying to make the point that just because it's cold here that we live in Nowheresville. Thats wrong.

I'm a four season guy, so I would hate that every day is nice thing........But, I know I'm in the minority, so attack the weather if you like......When you say the culture, food, and especially, the people are 180 degrees different and San Diego is the superior one, that is when I say eff you Pearlman and Mathison. It's not even close to being true.

They said he had a "perfectly pleasant" life in Phoenix. That's glorifying insurance salesmen?

And where is the part where anybody puts "down the life of an NFL starting QB"? He quotes the insurance salesman as to his thoughts about the city and weather in Buffalo, which the salesman, it turns out, didn't like as much as SD or Phoenix.

You can't hate the piece if you wish, but why make up stuff when it speaks for itself?

I made up nothing. Try reading it one more time. If you don't think it paints a great picture of either being an insurance agent or a clipboard toter to Dan Fouts because it is warm vs. given the chance to start in the NFL because it is cold, you're reading comprehension skills just aren't very good.

The loser Mathison would rather have never had the chance to start, so that he could stand in the sun and watch Fouts. You really can't be much more of a loser in terms of being an NFL quarterback than that.

StL got it right - just compare him to Kemp.

It is a snarky piece meant to be-little a city with a losing sports team and bad weather. He thinks just because we don't have the massive ego of NYC or San Diego that we aren't worth even being on a map. He is trying to be funny by taking an irrelevant player who was released and signed by the Bills a long time ago and creating this illusion that Buffalo is a harsh wasteland that is only appreciated by the crude and unruly natives.

Most of all, I'm pretty sure this dude is a real tool who thinks he's funny. Not to me. I'm sure this clown couldn't get Jimbo or Thurm on the horn for a true taste of Buffalo. Of course, their endorsement of the city would kill his theme that Buffalo is Losertown, USA.

Plus he wrote a book about the Cowboys according to his website. He is the Loser my friends. :thumbdown:

Actually that book about the Cowboys has made him persona non grata in Dallas. It was an in-depth look into the Switzer years and shed some very humiliating light on many of the players during that era. It actually deserves a thumbs up.

What the piece did do was use widely known stereotypes with little tact and effort. That's shoddy, but nothing was factually off base.

I like how he mentions fish and tacos being something to yearn for as if refrigerated storage and day-of catch shipping don't exist in the food/fishing industry. "If you go to Buffalo, you won't get fresh fish." Good one, Jeff. Way to drive home that point.

I'm a four season guy, so I would hate that every day is nice thing........But, I know I'm in the minority, so attack the weather if you like......When you say the culture, food, and especially, the people are 180 degrees different and San Diego is the superior one, that is when I say eff you Pearlman and Mathison. It's not even close to being true.

AMEN BROTHER!!! :worthy:

Edited by tbonestake

You're quickly distinguishing yourself as one of the bigger !@#$s on the forum.

Or you're just trolling. Either way, you make me long for the return of the ignore button.

Geez, overreact much?

He asked what the point of the article was and I told him.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings but location, scenery, food (except maybe bar food like wings), weather, economy in general etc. etc. SD is simply a nicer place to live than Buffalo. I'm not being spiteful, just stating my opinion on the matter.

And here I sit in WNY. Go figure.

I sent the email below to Pearlman. For some reason this article really annoyed me so I felt l should reply and see if I can get a response (slow day at the office). I doubt I get a response but will post if I do.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jeff_pearlman/11/05/merriman/

Congrats Jeff!

You should be proud of yourself as a sports writer. I can't believe the depth you went into on this piece. Thanks for letting us all know that winters are cold in Buffalo! My sports knowledge is sky high now and I feel much smarter having read it. Must have been the time you spent at U of Delaware or was it your time as a FASHION writer in Nashville that molded you into such talented part of the media?

I would love to know what the purpose of this article was? You are a sports writer not a weather man. Talk to your boss at SI, you deserve a raise Jeff.

Best,

This is the problem. Analysis like yours. Sand Diego is a great place. There is no reason to compare the two cities. Buffalo has

great things in and of itself. Just like any other city has great things about it centered around the culture of the specific region.

Born in Buffalo. Live in SD. SD > Buffalo. So what?

But what's the point in bashing the city? I don't get the article and it isn't nice.

The point was to bash the city and make fun of Merriman going there and generally be a dick doing it.

And no, it was not nice.

Edited by CodeMonkey

one word: TRAFFIC. half hour just to get ON a highway with brake lights as far as the eye can see

i have some more words, but no way they're getting past the language filter

Geez, overreact much?

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings but location, scenery, food (except maybe bar food like wings), weather, economy in general etc. etc. SD is simply a nicer place to live than Buffalo. I'm not being spiteful, just stating my opinion on the matter.

Anyone who doesn't see your toilet comment as being just as spiteful as the article itself is a grade-A moron. Fitting then I guess, that you don't see it that way.

I've been around the globe, and while WNY isn't the best place on the face of the planet, to call it a toilet is a cheap shot by someone who is just looking for a reaction. Congrats !@#$. You got it.

Geez, overreact much?

The food is better? No way. I'm from WNY originally, grew up in DC and now I live out west. Food is NOT better unless you want to eat Mexican food everyday. The other things, as I said earlier need not be compared. Of course San Diego weather will be different because it's in a different regional climate. It doesn't make Diego a better place. Just different.

Economics better? You do realize unemployment in Cali is around 12 % officially right? Which makes it probably more like over 15 %. And you do realize the state of California is broke right? Broke! And that includes Diego. No jobs, no jobs, no jobs, no jobs. The scenery is beautiful in Diego. Buffalo has different architecture, weather, nature than you find on the west coast. Buffalo has it's beautiful scenery too in the city and in the outer regions if you care to recognize it. It's not a nicer place to live. Just a different place. Just like Florida would be a different place or Montana would be different place or Washington

state would be a different place. One man's chicken is another man's steak.

Because one thinks of San Diego as a steak doesn't make that the case for everybody else. The question is why do those who view Diego as a steak need to convince everyone else that it should be a steak for them too?

Edited by purple haze

If the cold scares a player then we don't need a kitty like him.

PTR

That's the word I wanted to use for Mathison, but didn't know how to get it through the language filter.

Starr, Kelly, Tarkenton, Favre, etc. - these were QBs who would rather play in the cold weather than hold a clipboard in warm weather. Effin kitty.