Time for NFL to ban Time out just before Kick!

turbobike

All of you are missing a key point...the rule changed a few years ago so that the coach is allowed to call a timeout. It used to be that only the players on the field could call a timeout.

Now that this is allowed, I don't know how they get a timeout if the play starts. Can we presume that the coach knows when the ball is going to be snapped and calls the timeout immediately before that? Probably not, so I would think that the coach just guesses. If they're allowed to stop the play once the ball is snapped, then that needs to be changed.

The rule that should be eliminated is the one allowing coaches to call timeout. Either that or disallow timeouts called by the sideline with less than 10 seconds on the play clock. Something...ANYTHING to stop this stupid tactic.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of you are missing a key point...the rule changed a few years ago so that the coach is allowed to call a timeout. It used to be that only the players on the field could call a timeout.

Now that this is allowed, I don't know how they get a timeout if the play starts. Can we presume that the coach knows when the ball is going to be snapped and calls the timeout immediately before that? Probably not, so I would think that the coach just guesses. If they're allowed to stop the play once the ball is snapped, then that needs to be changed.

The rule that should be eliminated is the one allowing coaches to call timeout. Either that or disallow timeouts called by the sideline with less than 10 seconds on the play clock. Something...ANYTHING to stop this stupid tactic.

And you're missing the key point that the coach cannot get a timeout after the ball has been snapped.

It wasn't such a stupid rule when Gailey repeated it to "ice" Succop, was it?

Refs and rules didn't blow this game. Move on.

It's within the rules so no need to whine about it. It's a gamble, remember Haley could have ended up looking like a moron like Jauron did against Dallas if Lindell misses the wiped out kick only to come back and make it on his next try. Of course very Bills fan in this land KNEW that second kick was not going to be good yesterday.

It's within the rules so no need to whine about it. It's a gamble, remember Haley could have ended up looking like a moron like Jauron did against Dallas if Lindell misses the wiped out kick only to come back and make it on his next try. Of course very Bills fan in this land KNEW that second kick was not going to be good yesterday.

Nobody's saying that what happened was against the rules. The topic is that the rule should be changed. I would agree -- it's lame, regardless of the outcome.

And you're missing the key point that the coach cannot get a timeout after the ball has been snapped.

But that was precisely my point - someone had complained that Haley called the timeout after the ball was snapped, which is not possible. All I was saying was that IF that is happening (where the coach can get the timeout called after the snap is made), then that needs to be investigated.

It wasn't such a stupid rule when Gailey repeated it to "ice" Succop, was it?

Refs and rules didn't blow this game. Move on.

Chill out...I'm not the one complaining that this "rule" lost the game for Buffalo - I know it works both ways, but at least Gailey called his timeout long enough before the snap that they didn't even run the play.

And yes, it's still a stupid rule, no matter who uses it.

Edited by BuffaloWings

I hate the move and always have. Chickenshit is how it appears to me...but, it will continue to happen and there isn't much that can be done about it.

How can it be changed? No TOs with less than 3 seconds on the play clock? What if I've got 10 guys on the field? Or 12? What if the offense decides to go for it, can they call a TO?

I don't see a way to fix this, but I hate coaches for pulling such a BS move. (yes, Gailey included if he does it)

I hate the move and always have. Chickenshit is how it appears to me...but, it will continue to happen and there isn't much that can be done about it.

How can it be changed? No TOs with less than 3 seconds on the play clock? What if I've got 10 guys on the field? Or 12? What if the offense decides to go for it, can they call a TO?

I don't see a way to fix this, but I hate coaches for pulling such a BS move. (yes, Gailey included if he does it)

Easy fix. Only players can call a timeout when you line up in FG formation.

It's time for the NFL to step in and BAN the timeouts just before the kicker hits the ball. Some thing like no timeouts with 5 seconds on the play clock. What say you?

If the shoe was on the other foot and Buffalo did it to win, would this thread be posted? That one play didn't lose the game, but did havean effect. If it works, then it works. The Bills should have won the game. The team will turn things around. I don't like it, but it has shown it works on occassion, even Bill C. said teams practice it. I think the teams should not be allowed to go to the ref, and request a time out at the snap. The team should have to call the time out, not the coach to a ref.

It's tough to ban that timeout because defenses should have the option to call timeout if they feel unprepared for a fake field goal or if they have 12 men on the field or something like that.

I agree the league should try to ban it, but the language of the rule will be tough.

But that was precisely my point - someone had complained that Haley called the timeout after the ball was snapped, which is not possible. All I was saying was that IF that is happening (where the coach can get the timeout called after the snap is made), then that needs to be investigated.

Chill out...I'm not the one complaining that this "rule" lost the game for Buffalo - I know it works both ways, but at least Gailey called his timeout long enough before the snap that they didn't even run the play.

And yes, it's still a stupid rule, no matter who uses it.

The replay shows the ref clearly looking at the play as Haley is in his ear calling a TO. What you fear is NOT happening.

Easy fix. Only players can call a timeout when you line up in FG formation.

How does that fix anything? Player walks over to ref...sez "OK, I'm going to call a timeout so be ready." Kicker lines up, player times the call...TO. Players are closer to the action (that's a given) so it would actually be easier to accomplish (IMO).

Edited by Beerball

The replay shows the ref clearly looking at the play as Haley is in his ear calling a TO. What you fear is NOT happening.

Good. So, now that I've had some time to think about this, here's my theory...

The HC tells the line judge (or closest official) that he's going to call a timeout so the ref can be ready to blow the whistle. The HC calls the timeout as soon as the holder looks towards the center. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on every FG play, it looks like the holder will watch the kicker and wait to be sure he's ready, the kicker gives him a nod of the head, then the holder looks back to the line to tell the center to snap the ball.

At the point where the holder looks to the center is when the HC calls for the timeout. This is probably a second (maybe less) before the ball is snapped, allowing the HC to wait until the last possible second.

Again, I think the way to avoid this is to not allow the timeouts to be called from the sidelines. Maybe just limit that to FGs and extra points. As someone said, it's a chickensh*t ploy...no matter who does it.

How does that fix anything? Player walks over to ref...sez "OK, I'm going to call a timeout so be ready." Kicker lines up, player times the call...TO. Players are closer to the action (that's a given) so it would actually be easier to accomplish (IMO).

Yeah, but if you don't get the timeout off in time, now you only had 10 people rushing the kick instead of 11. There's a reason this type of play was never called like this in the past.

This tactic works on kickers who aren't good at kicking the ball through the uprights ... and only those kickers.

They're paid to do one thing ... ONE ... and that's kick the damn ball.

A timeout shouldn't "ice" them. The good kickers a) expect to be iced and b) make the damn kick, anyway.

He missed it because it's out of his range (range for consistency).

Or how about a kicker who could win just 1 out of 2 games with a kick in the low 50s?

The "freeze" worked for both teams today. Quit looking to blame someone other than the Bills for the losses.

It'd be awesome to see a fake kick on the second try as it was a pretty long kick crappy wind.

Bottom line is spiller and Fitz needed to hook up on that endzone pass.

Waaaah waaaah waaaah waaaah waaaah

Why are you crying?

I don't see people in this thread crying that we lost the game because of the timeout, only that the timeout is a stupid rule in general. I told a coworker about the game and his first comment was, "That timeout thing is a stupid rule." It's not just Bills fans complaining about it - it's a dumb rule.

Good. So, now that I've had some time to think about this, here's my theory...

The HC tells the line judge (or closest official) that he's going to call a timeout so the ref can be ready to blow the whistle. The HC calls the timeout as soon as the holder looks towards the center. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on every FG play, it looks like the holder will watch the kicker and wait to be sure he's ready, the kicker gives him a nod of the head, then the holder looks back to the line to tell the center to snap the ball.

At the point where the holder looks to the center is when the HC calls for the timeout. This is probably a second (maybe less) before the ball is snapped, allowing the HC to wait until the last possible second.

Again, I think the way to avoid this is to not allow the timeouts to be called from the sidelines. Maybe just limit that to FGs and extra points. As someone said, it's a chickensh*t ploy...no matter who does it.

Uh, OK. Your "theory" is exactly how it works. Anyway, if we missed the first attempt, no doubt you and many others would be overjoyed at our good fortune of having a second chance. You wouldn't be calling it a "stupid rule" this morning if Lindell had made the second attempt after missing the first. You would instead be laughing at Haley for trying to "ice" him.

Rules suck when you are at the wrong end of their outcome.

Yeah, but if you don't get the timeout off in time, now you only had 10 people rushing the kick instead of 11. There's a reason this type of play was never called like this in the past.

And? First of all, why wouldn't you get it off in time if you already have the ref's attention? Second, so there are only 10 guys rushing--so waht? The likelihood of blocking with 11 is tiny.

Once the ball is hiked it should be impossible for a coach to call timeout. Sure before the play starts yes but once the play starts allowing a TO is BS. Can a coach seeing his cb fell down ans iabout to get beat on a bomb call timeout? Stupid rule :wallbash: :wallbash:

Hate to break it to you, that IS the rule...You can not call a TO once the ball is hiked...these timeouts are being called to the officials PRIOR to the ball being hiked. So what are you talking about here?