Jason Peters turning into Mike Williams ?

CSBill

From the Philadelphia Daily News this morning, lamenting the poor trades and free agent signing of the Eagles:

"Left tackle Jason Peters hardly has proven to be worth the millions the Eagles threw at him last year when they acquired him from the Bills. Maybe that will change. Maybe he'll come back from his recent knee clean-out and be the player the Eagles hoped he would be. But considering his questionable work ethic and motor, I seriously doubt it." (Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News)

The article link

Although it still doesn't feel right, in the end, I think the Bills got the better part of that trade.

From the Philadelphia Daily News this morning, lamenting the poor trades and free agent signing of the Eagles:

"Left tackle Jason Peters hardly has proven to be worth the millions the Eagles threw at him last year when they acquired him from the Bills. Maybe that will change. Maybe he'll come back from his recent knee clean-out and be the player the Eagles hoped he would be. But considering his questionable work ethic and motor, I seriously doubt it." (Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News)

The article link

Although it still doesn't feel right, in the end, I think the Bills got the better part of that trade.

We traded Peters for a #1 and something else?? What players has he turned into. The #1 was Eric Wood, I believe (or is it Levitre)?

The article link

But at least Jason received the monies he said that were needed to feed his family when the Bills' offer left them in the soup kitchen line.

As someone who lives in South Jersey amidst rabid Eagles' fans, the Eagles' fan base was mixed on the Peters' signing from the beginning. What bothered them was his lack of a work ethic and frequent stupid 'rookie-like' penalties but what they loved seeing was Peters pancaking a defender on run plays when you could almost always find him downfield. However on pass protection that screamed that he also seemed to be downfield all too often especially for a guy being paid what Lurie paid him. Lots of questions about his interest in playing with any kind of little hurt and Reid even made comments about certain players not being willing to get back on the field that everyone assumed were about Peters last year.

2010 the number of Peters' fans has almost vanished ...

When the big bucks are paid or owners give in to players and their agents all too often the result is a player living 'high off the hog' and less results on the field.

The Bills received value for Peters ... he is not ours but we should not weep over losing him because if we had paid the big bucks and he played like this the board would be asking why we didn't trade him somewhere.

Here's hoping that our new line continues to improve with experience and that our offense shows the progress it has shown the last couple weeks. No more BEAST mode ... no more HARDY waiting to play ... no more EDWARDS tentatively guessing that the sideline is better than a pass downfield. FITZ, JACKSON (CJ in the wings), EVANS, JOHNSON, PARRISH, NELSON and maybe even the other NELSON ... an offense that is moving the ball behind a line whose membership can't even remember Jason Peters.

We traded Peters for a #1 and something else?? What players has he turned into. The #1 was Eric Wood, I believe (or is it Levitre)?

It was Wood, whom I believe will become an All-Pro center once he fully recovers from that massive leg-fracture and is eventually moved to his natural position...

After redshirting his initial year at Louisville, Wood started all 12 games at center for the Cardinals in 2005. He earned Freshman All-American honors by Rivals.com, Sporting News and College Football News. Also an excellent student, earned Academic All-Big East accolades as well. Wood remained Louisville's starting center in his sophomore and junior seasons, starting all 13 and 12 games, respectively. Led by quarterback Brian Brohm, the 2007 Cardinals offense ranked sixth nationally with an average of 488.0 yards per game. Wood earned All-Big East honors in both years, and again in his senior season. He finished his career with 49 consecutive starts at center, the second-longest streak in school history behind Travis Leffew (51, 2002-05).

Alongside Alex Mack, Wood was considered one of the best centers available in the 2009 NFL Draft. He has been compared to Brad Meester by The Sporting News, but his instincts and "nastiness" on the field had scouts comparing him to the NFL's old time centers like Mike Webster of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tim Grunhard of the Kansas City Chiefs.

(from Wiki)

...and the fourth rounder was TE Shawn Nelson, whom I also believe will soon be a very valuable contributor now that we have a HC/OC that knows what a Tight End is! (please, no 'tight-end' jokes) B-)

Not a bad trade - a fat lazy overpaid 'future Mike Williams' for two great players with long careers ahead.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

The article link

Turning into? To me he has been a turnstile like Mike Williams.

I have to admit that I was one of the people who said the situation with Peters and resulting trade was an act(s) of stupidity on the part of the Bills. I am left to eat crow.

The situation does help point to the fact that the way to build your team is through successful drafting. It seems very few high profile free agents or trades end up playing as well on their new team as they did on their former team. Let's hope the Bills turn around their bad draft decisions.

Turning into? To me he has been a turnstile like Mike Williams.

Sadly, you never know what will happen when a guy suddenly becomes rich. Peters was a great acquisition as an undrafted tight end that had great potential as a tackle. He quickly learned the new position and began to make a meteoric rise in reputation. Then he stopped working hard, hired an idiot for an agent and has never been the same. It's the Haynesworth syndrome.

Sadly, you never know what will happen when a guy suddenly becomes rich. Peters was a great acquisition as an undrafted tight end that had great potential as a tackle. He quickly learned the new position and began to make a meteoric rise in reputation. Then he stopped working hard, hired an idiot for an agent and has never been the same. It's the Haynesworth syndrome.

Yep, unfortunately it is becoming more and more common in other sports also. Work hard to get the big payday and then relax and try not to get seriously injured.

There were signs with Peters. His refusal to contact the team and the holdout until just days before the season started were huge red flags. So too was his play after coming back. As well as the injuries he suffered in each of the 2 seasons prior to leaving.

I have to admit that I was one of the people who said the situation with Peters and resulting trade was an act(s) of stupidity on the part of the Bills. I am left to eat crow.

But, done right, it tastes like chicken!

Put gaily into a Wood-fired oven and you'll cook for 8 seasons.

Put in a Super Bowl. I can almost taste it!

Buffalo got 3 picks, as pointed out the first was Wood, the 4th was Nelson and the 6th this year was the injured Danny Batten.

I'd consider it a win if Wood gets back on his feet, but if Nelson becomes a contributor and Batten becomes the small school stud that several draftniks were thinking he would be it's a spanking.

You always got to be wary of the players who put contract negotiations as their number one priority. These are the players who will quit on you as soon as they get their fat contract. Contrast these players to the ones who love the game and just go out an play. They may whine about their contract, but they are at least on the field and at practice while they whine. These are the ones we should be rewarding.

Once again, when Peters refused to join training camp the first year (2007?) (when that was all the Bills asked of him in order to get a new contract) it was the beginning of the end. So many people were saying "just pay him" without any proof of his wanting to play here. The Bills would be in the Eagles shoes right now if they hadn't checked Peters desire by asking him to report to camp for a new deal. Buffalo cut dead weight and got some good players instead. They didn't pay a deadbeat not to play. Nice job on the FO's part.

I wonder if The Senator has an opinion on this subject? :lol:

:D I was already furiously typing away when you posted that, BeerSphere!

Great players? :blink:

The 'greatness' will come - right now, they're good enough to have started in their rookie seasons as opposed to being relegated to the practice squad like FatBoy was.

Edited by The Senator

But at least Jason received the monies he said that were needed to feed his family when the Bills' offer left them in the soup kitchen line.

As someone who lives in South Jersey amidst rabid Eagles' fans, the Eagles' fan base was mixed on the Peters' signing from the beginning. What bothered them was his lack of a work ethic and frequent stupid 'rookie-like' penalties but what they loved seeing was Peters pancaking a defender on run plays when you could almost always find him downfield. However on pass protection that screamed that he also seemed to be downfield all too often especially for a guy being paid what Lurie paid him. Lots of questions about his interest in playing with any kind of little hurt and Reid even made comments about certain players not being willing to get back on the field that everyone assumed were about Peters last year.

2010 the number of Peters' fans has almost vanished ...

When the big bucks are paid or owners give in to players and their agents all too often the result is a player living 'high off the hog' and less results on the field.

The Bills received value for Peters ... he is not ours but we should not weep over losing him because if we had paid the big bucks and he played like this the board would be asking why we didn't trade him somewhere.

Here's hoping that our new line continues to improve with experience and that our offense shows the progress it has shown the last couple weeks. No more BEAST mode ... no more HARDY waiting to play ... no more EDWARDS tentatively guessing that the sideline is better than a pass downfield. FITZ, JACKSON (CJ in the wings), EVANS, JOHNSON, PARRISH, NELSON and maybe even the other NELSON ... an offense that is moving the ball behind a line whose membership can't even remember Jason Peters.

Where about's in S Jersey? I am in Chester Springs. I personally love the fact that JP is having a tough because of how Glen McNown from WIP tried to deliver the impression on a WGR interview that the Eagles took the Bills to the cleaners.