Buffalo News Vote For Worst Player In The NFL

I bet Maybin wishes the Bills still had Edwards and Lynch -- now he's got the wrath of the fan base all to himself.

The guy might go down as the worst draft pick in Bills history, but I'm starting to feel bad for him. I don't think he's lazy or unmotivated. I just think he has no business being on an NFL roster. An undersized guy has a handful of good games in college and suddenly is supposed to be a fixture on an NFL defense -- and at a position he's never played. Absurd.

Fans' wrath should be focused on the people who decided to pick him at #11.

I'll never understand it. A 220 lb defensive end who didn't even perform that well at the combine compared to other speed rushers that have had success at the NFL level. A guy who racked up statistics playing against teams like Coastal Carolina, but didn't even do all that much against Big Ten competition his one successful season. The Bills draft picks are atrocious enough (Whitner, McCargo, Maybin,) to suggest deliberate sabotage on the part of the organization.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's GOT to hurt....I'm wondering if maybe it's a motivation type thing with Maybin. Maybe he just doesn't care now that he got his big payday...

I dont think this is the case, he never struck me as someone who doesnt care. I just think he hasnt developed any true instincts out on the field for whatever reason. Honestly, this season is lost, they might as well throw the kid out there and see if he finally develop some kind of feel for the game. What do we have to lose? I mean by years end he has made no progress then we can cut him.

As useless as Maybin is, he can't compare with McCargo in useless longevity as a 1st round pick. His continued career is inexplicable.

And at least we didn't trade back into the first round to get him as well!

When you are talking a 90 year old man than means kicking him in the ankle right?

Add: Oh yeah Maybin, what a let-down.

Yes good point, especially if it is really hot and humid, then maybe a stomping is more effective.

Proof?

Link?

Probably not, like I thought.

But you are correct on the Nix/Whaley regime-they have only totally blown one draft-so far!

Is this fact? If it is, how in the world could the front office be swayed so much by Dick Jauron? I would love an admission by somebody at One Bills Drive - I really would....

Your link is just to another poster saying the same thing (sort of) as you--that "Jauron was in the draft room" when they picked Maybin. HC in the draft room---OK.

Where is your link to the first hand reporting of the conversation that took place in the draft room that day? I think that's actually what the other two posters were asking for.

Very good. you made your point. Now show me who exactly decided to pick Aaron Maybin beside the vague and mysterious "front office"? Can't do that either, eh? While you're at it show me who drafted "busts" like Jairus Byrd, Eric Wood and Andy Levitre?

PTR

Very good. you made your point. Now show me who exactly decided to pick Aaron Maybin beside the vague and mysterious "front office"? Can't do that either, eh? While you're at it show me who drafted "busts" like Jairus Byrd, Eric Wood and Andy Levitre?

PTR

I think the point is, as an "organization", after Polian left, then Butler and Smith we have not done a great job at evaluating talent. I think Butler and Smith rode on the coattails of Polian a bit, but blame whomever you want, I am not going to argue semantics here, that is why we have been mired in such a decade long slump.

I think the point is, as an "organization", after Polian left, then Butler and Smith we have not done a great job at evaluating talent. I think Butler and Smith rode on the coattails of Polian a bit, but blame whomever you want, I am not going to argue semantics here, that is why we have been mired in such a decade long slump.

The problem is when you have poster flailing about looking to hang anyone for the Bills problems. What they want is a Matt Millen; somebody clearly in charge of all the horrible decisions. Instead we have this vague cloud of mediocrity with no one (until Buddy Nix) in charge of anything.

But the Nix/Whalley/Gailey regime is now in charge and while 0-6 is bad, it's too early to declare anyone a bust quite yet.

PTR

First of all, Jauron wanted Maybin, not the "front office." Second, everyone involved in the front office the last 10 years or so are gone save for Modrak. So can we finally stop painting the Nix/Wahley regime with the same brush as Levy and Donahoe?

The bolded is factually incorrect and distortion on the real situation. Wilson, Brandon, Overdorf, Littmann, Modrak, ... all these people were and are still involved. The only changes were Nix got promoted, Whaley replaced John Guy, and Darrell Moody filled Nix's position as National Scout. There were a few minor changes in the scouting department with Matt Hand getting a promotion. C.J. Leak also got promoted and Michael LaFlamme gets to cover both his old job as well as Leak's.

Seriously, the only substantive changes since Nix was promoted was the firing of what was left of Jauron's staff and the hiring of Gailey and his staff. Oh, and the jettisoning of team captain Trent Edwards after 2 starts.

The bolded is factually incorrect and distortion on the real situation. Wilson, Brandon, Overdorf, Littmann, Modrak, ... all these people were and are still involved. The only changes were Nix got promoted, Whaley replaced John Guy, and Darrell Moody filled Nix's position as National Scout. There were a few minor changes in the scouting department with Matt Hand getting a promotion. C.J. Leak also got promoted and Michael LaFlamme gets to cover both his old job as well as Leak's.

Seriously, the only substantive changes since Nix was promoted was the firing of what was left of Jauron's staff and the hiring of Gailey and his staff. Oh, and the jettisoning of team captain Trent Edwards after 2 starts.

The common denominator to all this mess is Ralph Wilson!

Maybin is the classic case on why there should be an entry level contract for rookies. The entry level contract should be for a maximum salary not to exceed $500k per year(?) and not exceed three years. After three years then based on performance the salary could escalate to an appropriate level. If you produce you will be rewarded, if not, then you didn't deserve it.

This benefits veterans who have earned their salaries over the years. It frees money to reward those who have performed well. It also protects teams from 1st round busts like Maybin.

The specifics may change, but the new salary cap for rookies is almost certain to be in the next collective bargaining agreement.

yeah but who the f cares when the suckers keep paying for expensive tickets.Keep buy private boxes. Keep paying for Sunday Ticket. Easy come, easy go.

PTR

Nice change of subject/weak dodge. You made the claim that DJ was solely responsible for the pick. 3 people asked you back it up. You can't so now you're left to plant "bust" arguments never made in the mouths of others.

Just wave the white flag.

...as in, this:

This.

This is from Jerry Sullivan's News column CNN just quoted it.

About the rookie cap it will still be high, no way NFLPA wants it down low. Rookie salaries are now based on Vets at the position already plus bonus.

Everyone in the league plays through college waiting for the pay off in the pros. Plus the career is average of 5-6 years for most players.

thank you

Has there ever been any indication that he is in on player personnel decisions. I always thought the Chief Operating Officer designation was a nice way of saying that while important, he doesn't really have anything to do w/ personnel moves.

What a dumb article, the point is that, according to Sullivan (and everyone here), the Bills have the worst defence in the league, and because maybin can't stay on the field, he is the worse player in the NFL, while a guy like McCargo can't even get activated to have a chance to get on the field ranks above him?????

I bet Maybin wishes the Bills still had Edwards and Lynch -- now he's got the wrath of the fan base all to himself.

The guy might go down as the worst draft pick in Bills history, but I'm starting to feel bad for him. I don't think he's lazy or unmotivated. I just think he has no business being on an NFL roster. An undersized guy has a handful of good games in college and suddenly is supposed to be a fixture on an NFL defense -- and at a position he's never played. Absurd.

Fans' wrath should be focused on the people who decided to pick him at #11.

I think you are right. I also think he should know better than to have such a stupid "Look at me" haircut considering his lowly position.

Instead of "Maybin" perhaps he should shave "Bust!"

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Maybin could possibly be the worst player in the NFL. But until he actually spends time on the field, we'll never know for sure. :rolleyes:

As for his place in the Buffalo Bills' history of lousy draft choices, he has plany of competition. Other posters have mentioned McCargo and Flowers. But dig a little deeper and you'll find such busts as Walt Patulski (1972) -- described by ESPN in 2008 as the 27th biggest bust of all-time. Other notable misses include the 1975 first and second round disasters Tom Ruud and Bob Nelson and the 1983 tight end phenom known as Tony Hunter. Maybin might suck, but the Bills have a penchant for screwing the pooch in the first round.