The Myth of Lee Evans

1B4IDie

I've thought that for the past 4 or 5 games Johnson has looked and acted like the #1, while Evans has made a very capable #2 with a lot of possession catches. If that continues I'm not sure how it will play out in the locker room with the disparity in $$$, but it sure seems to be working on the field.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought that for the past 4 or 5 games Johnson has looked and acted like the #1, while Evans has made a very capable #2 with a lot of possession catches. If that continues I'm not sure how it will play out in the locker room with the disparity in $$$, but it sure seems to be working on the field.

The ghost of Posts past.

1.) Lee Evans constantly being double teamed was a myth and most undoubtedly will continue being a myth going forward. Why would teams not roll coverage over to Stevie going forward; or atleast the past few game?

2.) The Signing of Stevie Johnson in the offseason just moved up to Top 3 priority of Buddy Nix.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The ghost of Posts past.

1.) Lee Evans constantly being double teamed was a myth and most undoubtedly will continue being a myth going forward. Why would teams not roll coverage over to Stevie going forward; or atleast the past few game?

2.) The Signing of Stevie Johnson in the offseason just moved up to Top 3 priority of Buddy Nix.

Are you being sarcastic or serious with #1, when you say it's a myth that teams double Evans?

The ghost of Posts past.

Maybe you'll believe it if it comes from Johnson's own mouth? And I quote-

"I wasn't even playing last year, so the defenses don't really know who I am," he said. "But they know who 83 [Evans] is, so it's easy for them to roll coverage over there and leave me wide open. When you do that, I have some room to go and make some plays. That's pretty much what it is."

Both Gailey and Johnson are quoted as saying That indeed yes, Lee is still seeing most of the "double teams" (which is really a safety rolled over the top of Lee) in this offense to this day. This is a fact, not an opinion. Myth Not Busted.

oh, youre being serious. how sad.

here, watch Chan Gailey's post game, or Fitz's post game, or Stevie's post game, where they ALL talk about the Bengals coverage rolling towards Lee, and that he was double covered, and that is what allows Johnson to get open...

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Postgame-Press-Conference/93669900-98dc-42c2-9cb2-d5bffb5e0417

If you wont believe it from those three, then please just stop posting.

Edit: also, take a second and read the quote in your own signature, and apply it to our WRs.

Edited by DrDankenstein

oh, youre being serious. how sad.

here, watch Chan Gailey's post game, or Fitz's post game, or Stevie's post game, where they ALL talk about the Bengals coverage rolling towards Lee, and that he was double covered, and that is what allows Johnson to get open...

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Postgame-Press-Conference/93669900-98dc-42c2-9cb2-d5bffb5e0417

If you wont believe it from those three, then please just stop posting.

Edit: also, take a second and read the quote in your own signature, and apply it to our WRs.

How does saying that Lee Evans is not doubled on every play mean:

1.) Lee Evans is never double teamed

2.) Lee Evans sucks?

the Answer is: It doesn't

The perception that Stevie J gets open solely because defenses focus their coverage constantly on Lee Evans, which was myth in September and October is proven to be false.

Stevie J is sometimes doubled too, and he gets opened.

The Myth that Lee Evans is an unbelievably great WR, that is just stymied by the lack of talent surrounding him is also proving to be debunked.

Lee Evans is a good WR, not a game changing #1 WR.

Thats what it means.

Yes, I can, and will. If Lee Evans entire career was consistent with the games he's played w/ Trent Edwards under center you'd have a good point, but when Bledsoe was there he produced, when Losman was there he produced, with Fitz in there now he is producing.

I like Stevie and if he keeps playing this way, he will be high on the list of people to hang on to. At the same time, Lee Evans is a very, very good receiver who had the great misfortune of having to play on a team coached by Dick Jauron during the prime of his career. I don't see why this is an either/or situation. They are both good players and, at least for now, it looks like we have a pretty decent corps of recievers. At least that is one place where we don't have to spend draft picks.

It looks like the rest of this season is myth busters time for Lee Evans

He is under contract until 2011 season, but you don't wait until he is a restricted free agent to get someone that is clearly working hard and performing under contract. You get a new contract done the off season before free agency comes.

Well we had these same receivers and lineman last year.

Where are those idiots now who wanted TO to stay?

Well now you are saying any receiver who has a decent game is now a number 1 and a star. Ya the other WRs look good. But it is true that Lee Evans pulls 2 guys his way and leaves a wide open Johnson to catch the balls after the tight end and slot receiver clear out defenders. ohh and Stevie gets their second best CB by the way. Fitz is just picking the more open guy. Johnson is actually a slowish receiver but with great hands and agility ala Billy Brooks. Was Billy Brooks a star? He was good but he just had 1 good year and thats it, he now holds the bills record for most tds in a season. Gone from the Bills the very next year. stevie is average but getting the most out of his QB and single coverage.

There was a poll at the end of last year whether people on this board wanted fitz or trent to start, it was like 80/20 in favor of trent. you guys are so good at evaluating talent. Why did Lee start his first year and always produce and earn a big payday? Why did it take Stevie 3 years to start producing? Because Lee is a cut above almost all other receivers and you act like its your money being wasted when he doesnt get 10 balls thrown to him a game. I dont need to see if its a myth.

The myth is that fans on this board are smart.

This post has been edited by loserlovers: Today, 09:21 AM

Edited by loserlovers

If Fitz can throw a deepball on target Evans would have made some nice catches by now. Make no mistake about it Evans is not so great at short and intermediate routes, however he can really stretch a defense. Evans talents have not been complimentory of the talent around him, noodle arm checkdown QBs (Edwards and Holcombe), terrible offensive line play which also negates the long ball, and terrible play calling in the past. It has also been stated that Fitz and Johnson developt a chemistry while on the scout team last year. Lets not want to create another hole on this team with this crazy talk about Evans. He may not be the most dynamic #1 wideout on the league but he is a good reciever not to mentioned he hasnt whined and cried about being on all those anemic offenses.

Edited by pmr78

Well we had these same receivers and lineman last year.

Where are those idiots now who wanted TO to stay?

Well now you are saying any receiver who has a decent game is now a number 1 and a star. Ya the other WRs look good. But it is true that Lee Evans pulls 2 guys his way and leaves a wide open Johnson to catch the balls after the tight end and slot receiver clear out defenders. ohh and Stevie gets their second best CB by the way. Fitz is just picking the more open guy. Johnson is actually a slowish receiver but with great hands and agility ala Billy Brooks. Was Billy Brooks a star? He was good but he just had 1 good year and thats it, he now holds the bills record for most tds in a season. Gone from the Bills the very next year. stevie is average but getting the most out of his QB and single coverage.

There was a poll at the end of last year whether people on this board wanted fitz or trent to start, it was like 80/20 in favor of trent. you guys are so good at evaluating talent. Why did Lee start his first year and always produce and earn a big payday? Why did it take Stevie 3 years to start producing? Because Lee is a cut above almost all other receivers and you act like its your money being wasted when he doesnt get 10 balls thrown to him a game. I dont need to see if its a myth.

The myth is that fans on this board are smart.

Outstanding observations brother. I will never understand the hate towards Lee, I am just happy that we finally have coaches and a QB that know how to make teams pay for focusing on Lee. Cheers to Johnson for stepping up. He's earned it.

Well now you are saying any receiver who has a decent game is now a number 1 and a star.

Where exactly was that said?

But it is true that Lee Evans pulls 2 guys his way and leaves a wide open Johnson to catch the balls after the tight end and slot receiver clear out defenders.

This is a myth.

Are you telling me that Defense Coordinators that plan all week for 1 game, are so scared of Lee Evans that they are OK with Stevie Johnson

Being the #13 Receiver in the entire NFL in Reception, the #10 Receiver in Yards, and the #3 Receiver in the entire NFL in receiving TDs.

Thats not just one game.

So if thats what you're saying then that is an insult to every Defensive Coordinator the Bills have played.

Doubling Lee Evans all season is not what is happening.

There is a safety on Lee's side of the field watching the long ball on that side of the field.

Nothing particularly exotic and nothing that is particularly special when it comes to a defensive coverage.

Which is different than a constant double coverage that Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, or Roddy White will see.

Thats all, Lee Evans is still a good receiver.

Outstanding observations brother. I will never understand the hate towards Lee, I am just happy that we finally have coaches and a QB that know how to make teams pay for focusing on Lee. Cheers to Johnson for stepping up. He's earned it.

There's no hate. Just a misrepresentation of Lee Evans effect on opposing defenses.

One career game and there's talk of a contract extension for a guy whose deal doesn't expire for another year plus. Wow.

Hush, you don't wanna make sense to this poster, do ya?

I am glad that Johnson and the coach made reference to why these no-name receivers have some much room to operate. Typical fanatic rushing to extended a player under contract and s%#t-can what is now old...Then next is the overreaction to this new over-inflated contracted player that is now over-paid and lazy. Johnson is the benefactor of rolled coverages to the primary wide-out but I do understand where hes going. The true result of honest coverage should benefit the run-game IMHO which could open up the play-action pass.

One career game and there's talk of a contract extension for a guy whose deal doesn't expire for another year plus. Wow.

Hush, you don't wanna make sense to this poster, do ya?

I am glad that Johnson and the coach made reference to why these no-name receivers have some much room to operate. Typical fanatic rushing to extended a player under contract and s%#t-can what is now old...Then next is the overreaction to this new over-inflated contracted player that is now over-paid and lazy. Johnson is the benefactor of rolled coverages to the primary wide-out but I do understand where hes going. The true result of honest coverage should benefit the run-game IMHO which could open up the play-action pass.

That was said back on page 1 in October, the first "career game" that become just another game until the next "career game."

Clearly the post reads "at the end of the season." Which in case you're not aware is after January; no one is really rushing there.

You do the extension before the player becomes a free agent so that you don't have to pay an over-inflated free agent price, you get to negotiate a more favorable contract. Stevie J would become a free agent after 2011, you don't want that to happen. Finding a WR that will work hard, which he has since 2008, and stays humble, which he has see the press conference after his "career game" is hard to find.

But I'm the one with a typical response that doesn't make any sense. :rolleyes:

Nice Post but I think Roscoe may need an extension and a raise as well.

Roscoe has played his last game as a Bills player. We have Easley coming back and My gut tells me we will be picking about 4th or 5th so I see Aj Green from Georgia A wide receiver who catches everything to be our pick. Not much need for roscoe. Imagine a Dez Bryant player in a Bills Uniform.

There were at least 3 inexcusable drops against Chicago which make the double coverage and throwing to himself discussions irrelevant. If his sole purpose is to make the DB’s run and keep the safeties deep then by all means keep running and put up #3 WR #’s, but you have to make those catches when the ball hits your hands 83. Very poor...

yes the only game he had multiple drops in a what 5 or 6 year career????? i think saying he drops balls is the dumbest arguement anyone has ever made about evans

Anyone still believe that teams are constantly doubling Lee Evans?

Steve Johnson 41 554 13.5

Roscoe Parrish 33 400 12.1

Lee Evans 29 373 12.9

David Nelson 17 189 11.1

Do you watch the games or just the highlights on ESPN? If you watch the games then there is no need to ask the question, of course he is constantly getting double teamed, your stats prove it. Without Evans drawing double coverage, Johnson and Parrish would not have put up half the numbers they have. There is much more to football than stats, but then again anyone that knows anything about football knows that.

This entire discussion reminds me of the one when Moulds and Price were doing so well together. The feeling was that Price was a legitimate #1 receiver, a notion that was disproven much to the chagrin of the Falcons.

We should see how the overall offense is performing, how the ball is being spread around and be content that we are doing the right things. We need Evans and Johnson together continue the success through the air.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Do you watch the games or just the highlights on ESPN? If you watch the games then there is no need to ask the question, of course he is constantly getting double teamed, your stats prove it. Without Evans drawing double coverage, Johnson and Parrish would not have put up half the numbers they have. There is much more to football than stats, but then again anyone that knows anything about football knows that.

No I watch the games. I don't count a high safety help as a double team. Having a safety help on the long ball is different than a double team that's just kind of standard coverage.

If you want to see what a double team looks like watch a Houston Texans game.

But stats do matter like 9 touchdowns in 10 games, or 6 touchdowns in 9 games. If you think Dick LeBeau is so scared of Lee Evans that he is going "double him all game". Let's count the plays where there is a double team on Lee Evans on Sunday. My guess is low single digits.

Unless ofcourse you count a safety overtop as double coverage then ofcourse Lee, the Nelson twins, Stevie J and Martin are all "double teamed all game".