Chan Gailey: Defense might take time

More like 11 new players

Actually 5 or 6 serious playmakers with fill around them would likely do the trick. We thought we had a playmaker in Byrd, but he has been very disappointing this year so far.

Actually 5 or 6 serious playmakers with fill around them would likely do the trick. We thought we had a playmaker in Byrd, but he has been very disappointing this year so far.

Byrd was good last year cause he was allowed to make plays cause we got a pass rush from this guy named Schobel. Also Kyle Williams being a above average 4-3 dt supplied a pass rush from the middle that hurried throws. We don't have Schobel and Williams was playing 3-4 nt, which means the secondary has no chances to make any kind of play unless you expected more out of him in run support? :unsure:

Improve the front 7 improve the pass rush and the secondary will go back to making plays. Don't improve the pass rush and well what you see is what you get.

Byrd was good last year cause he was allowed to make plays cause we got a pass rush from this guy named Schobel. Also Kyle Williams being a above average 4-3 dt supplied a pass rush from the middle that hurried throws. We don't have Schobel and Williams was playing 3-4 nt, which means the secondary has no chances to make any kind of play unless you expected more out of him in run support? :unsure:

Improve the front 7 improve the pass rush and the secondary will go back to making plays. Don't improve the pass rush and well what you see is what you get.

I don't disagree that the loss of Schobel has hurt what little pass rush we've had the past few years, but teams weren't living in fear of our pass rush last year either. Byrd still has been a disappoint to date this year. He's been badly out of position and also beaten badly on a number of plays.

The big difference in KC this year is that they went and got genuine coordinators...Nothing like Charlie Weis running your two pronged running game attack with Matt Cassel protecting the football and Romeo Crennel, again of the SB winning patriots taking over the 3-4 defense and executing it to be able to stop the run.

THe Bills could have added such experienced coordinators who sucked as HCs but were awesome coordinators.

I thought Buddy said in January that they weren't that far away?

Yeah, but I don't think he meant half a season. Did you?

The big difference in KC this year is that they went and got genuine coordinators...Nothing like Charlie Weis running your two pronged running game attack with Matt Cassel protecting the football and Romeo Crennel, again of the SB winning patriots taking over the 3-4 defense and executing it to be able to stop the run.

THe Bills could have added such experienced coordinators who sucked as HCs but were awesome coordinators.

Maybe. Then again, it sure seemed like they were having a hard time getting coaches interested in coming to Buffalo, didn't it?

Just because there are coaches/players/waterboys/cheerleaders available doesn't mean they want a job in Buffalo.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

The quickest and easiest way to help this defense look better is to have BOTH OLB play off the LOS a bit more and stay to the outside edges. I've lost count of the amount of times BOTH Torbor and Kelsay start cheating up and in and then watch as the RB bounces out to the spot they were supposed to be at and runs into the secondary as Kelsay and Tobor watch on with a pained expression on their faces. Just like on special teams, have them maintain their lanes and stay in position instead of rushing up and in towards the center, even if you have to have them play a bit of zone.

No one wanted to work for this organization, and it shows in the coaching hires. I'd argue no one wanted to be GM, hence their "whirlwind" search in December when it came down to Nix and the soon to be fired John Guy. The paucity of candidates probably demonstrates no one wanted to interview. Same goes for the HC and staff hires. I don't think many of them would be in the NFL without a 3rd rate franchise like Buffalo. But hey, even Oakland gets calls about their HC openings.

Yeah, but I don't think he meant half a season. Did you?

What did you think "not that far away" really meant? Going 0-6 to start the season after 6-10 last year? Or was this a relative statement, in that it hasn't been that long since Buffalo fielded a playoff team.

No one wanted to work for this organization, and it shows in the coaching hires. I'd argue no one wanted to be GM, hence their "whirlwind" search in December when it came down to Nix and the soon to be fired John Guy. The paucity of candidates probably demonstrates no one wanted to interview. Same goes for the HC and staff hires. I don't think many of them would be in the NFL without a 3rd rate franchise like Buffalo. But hey, even Oakland gets calls about their HC openings.

What did you think "not that far away" really meant? Going 0-6 to start the season after 6-10 last year? Or was this a relative statement, in that it hasn't been that long since Buffalo fielded a playoff team.

What would you expect a new GM to say?

I'm not gonna rip him for it, he has got to exude confidence, if only for the player's sake.

Obviously I don't think they expected to lose the first six. I don't think they realized how bad T. Edwards really was, but I think they believe they can compete for a playoff spot by next season. Do I believe that? It would take a real gem of a player from the next draft (as well as some other good picks, and a key free agent or two), and some real progress from the guys they drafted this season.

Fitz would have to be for real of course, and 2 of the other teams in the AFC East would have to drop off. Then maybe the Bills could compete for a Wildcard slot.

Not likely, but not crazy-talk either.

Isn't it funny that in pre-season we thought that it would be offense that would struggle and the defense that looked pretty good.

On the other hand, the Bills do not have the 3-4 linebackers. I also think that the players are not used to playing in a 3-4 so they are making mistakes, being out of position. If Fitz and the offensive line keep improving, the Bills could select in the draft:

1st: Marcell Dareus, DE

2nd: Akeem Ayers, OLB

3rd: Steven Friday, OLB

That would change the personality of the defense pretty quickly.

What would you expect a new GM to say?

I'm not gonna rip him for it, he has got to exude confidence, if only for the player's sake.

Obviously I don't think they expected to lose the first six. I don't think they realized how bad T. Edwards really was, but I think they believe they can compete for a playoff spot by next season. Do I believe that? It would take a real gem of a player from the next draft (as well as some other good picks, and a key free agent or two), and some real progress from the guys they drafted this season.

Fitz would have to be for real of course, and 2 of the other teams in the AFC East would have to drop off. Then maybe the Bills could compete for a Wildcard slot.

Not likely, but not crazy-talk either.

I would expect him to go into political speech and not painting a false picture a la Gregg Williams in 2001 in saying the team could win the SB. That's simply non-sensical for someone to say something so blatantly incorrect. Sometimes confidence is exuded through less talk, not more.

As for players, they had film on them, namely Edwards. It was a matter of being arrogant and thinking they could reverse him, which turned out to be totally wrong.

The issue is how long fans want to wait. For those of us committed fans who've been watching the past decade, the time us up. Fans who've begun following the team in the middle of their downslide and/or are dedicated homers don't seem to care if they ever win so long as hope is still there. Either way, their time is running short with this third rebuild in a decade. Other than the Lions, who does that?