Chan Gailey: Defense might take time

I would expect him to go into political speech and not painting a false picture a la Gregg Williams in 2001 in saying the team could win the SB. That's simply non-sensical for someone to say something so blatantly incorrect. Sometimes confidence is exuded through less talk, not more.

As for players, they had film on them, namely Edwards. It was a matter of being arrogant and thinking they could reverse him, which turned out to be totally wrong.

The issue is how long fans want to wait. For those of us committed fans who've been watching the past decade, the time us up. Fans who've begun following the team in the middle of their downslide and/or are dedicated homers don't seem to care if they ever win so long as hope is still there. Either way, their time is running short with this third rebuild in a decade. Other than the Lions, who does that?

He just said "we're not that far away", I took that to mean that they feel the team is better than the fans might think, and that IF they make the right decisions they will compete for the playoffs by next season. Not really

brash or arrogant.

Fans don't have much choice. I am no polly-anna, and I have been seriously following the Bills since about 1980.

Honestly, it's just football. What are your options as a fan? I stopped giving them my money a loooong time ago.

What did you think "not that far away" really meant? Going 0-6 to start the season after 6-10 last year? Or was this a relative statement, in that it hasn't been that long since Buffalo fielded a playoff team.

Several years ago a guy named Marty took over a team and started the season 3-8. There were calls for his dismissal. His team finished the year 8-8 and there were calls to name him Coach of the Year.

We've seen the offense come alive, and we've got a lot of talent on the defense. There are 3-4 poorly filled positions that cause the rest of the unit to suffer. Fill those holes, which can be done in 1 off season, and we could be in good shape next year.

Defense lacks toughness against the run and a solid pass rush....its that simple :doh:

There was this guy Brian Orakpo in last years draft.......oh forget it!

And yet, with Brian Orakpo, look at where Washington sits defensively.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

(note: this is in no way defending picking aaron maybin)

Edited by bizell

No one wanted to work for this organization, and it shows in the coaching hires. I'd argue no one wanted to be GM, hence their "whirlwind" search in December when it came down to Nix and the soon to be fired John Guy. The paucity of candidates probably demonstrates no one wanted to interview. Same goes for the HC and staff hires. I don't think many of them would be in the NFL without a 3rd rate franchise like Buffalo. But hey, even Oakland gets calls about their HC openings.

What did you think "not that far away" really meant? Going 0-6 to start the season after 6-10 last year? Or was this a relative statement, in that it hasn't been that long since Buffalo fielded a playoff team.

Yeah, they shoulda tried to get some young up and coming personnell guys from other teams as the GM. its too bad they didn't get a guy like Doug Whaley from Pittsburgh to be GM.