Jay Cutler vs Fitzy

I would take Cutler in a heartbeat. Mike Martz is an idiot. The days of seven-step drops and 20-yard digs and curls are pretty much over, especially if you have a mediocre to sub-part offensive line, which the Bears do. Couple that with a fairly immobile QB and a stubborn refusal to run the ball, and you have a recipe for disaster. IMO Cutler is one of the best young talents at the QB position in the NFL, but he is matched up with a psychopath for an offensive coordinator. If Cutler was with Shannahan on the Redskins, and McNabb was with Martz on the Bears, both teams would be in much better shape.

Martz has only been Cutler's coach for one season. Who else you gonna blame for Cutler not having a winning season since high school and leading the NFL in INTs since he entered the league?

So QBs have a knack for winning games. Cutler has a knack for losing them. For a guy who went to a great school, he plays braindead. He's a loser and absolutely the last guy I'd want to build my franchise around.

2 1sts and Orton for Cutler is one of the biggest robberies in NFL history.

Martz has only been Cutler's coach for one season. Who else you gonna blame for Cutler not having a winning season since high school and leading the NFL in INTs since he entered the league?

So QBs have a knack for winning games. Cutler has a knack for losing them. For a guy who went to a great school, he plays braindead. He's a loser and absolutely the last guy I'd want to build my franchise around.

Best summary I've seen. I completely agree. He has talent I don't dispute that. But so did Losman and Edwards. Blech, I wouldn't touch him with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

Best summary I've seen. I completely agree. He has talent I don't dispute that. But so did Losman and Edwards. Blech, I wouldn't touch him with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

Kitna threw for 4K yards with Martz as his OC, twice. He also had a bunch of picks, but that was the same basic team that went 0-16 when he got hurt in week 5 of the next season, not exactly a talent laden squad. Not sure what is going on with Cutler and I haven't seen any Bears games but from what is said by the experts is that he looks lost. I guess he is just not comfortable in Martz's system. Kurt Warner and Bulger did pretty well also.

Edited by agardin

In addition to the above, I would say that Cutler came to Chicago with a lot of fanfare and lot of hoopla. The expectations were gargantuan as they should have been considering what the Bears gave up for him. But pairing him with Martz was the wrong move (heck not too many QBs and offenses are matched well to Martz anyway but that is besides the point). As it is Cutler is careless with the ball and not a game manager. Both are qualities that I want in a QB, hence I prefer Fitz (atleast the way he has played these past few games).

Another thought may be that Gailey is making the most of what Fitz has to offer - a studious approach to the game, fast thinking on the field and ability to take calculated risks. Perhaps Gailey could have done the same for Cutler but Cutler does not strike me as a learner type.

Hence my vote goes for Fitz and I hope he continues to do well for us

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I agree. I would take Fitz's leadership and attitude over Cutler's superior talent. Cutler can be a really good QB with a rocket arm, but has always seemed like a whiny little girl to me.

That would be a disservice to all the whiny little girls out there.

Cutler is a baby.

• 2 weeks later...

I would take Cutler in a heartbeat. Mike Martz is an idiot. The days of seven-step drops and 20-yard digs and curls are pretty much over, especially if you have a mediocre to sub-part offensive line, which the Bears do. Couple that with a fairly immobile QB and a stubborn refusal to run the ball, and you have a recipe for disaster. IMO Cutler is one of the best young talents at the QB position in the NFL, but he is matched up with a psychopath for an offensive coordinator. If Cutler was with Shannahan on the Redskins, and McNabb was with Martz on the Bears, both teams would be in much better shape.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, Martz went over Cutlers bad habits and corrected them, like the bad footwork and off balance throws. Plus the Bears actually tried to run the ball more more then in past games, although they weren't very effective against the leagues worst run defense

31 rushes / 30 passes

I'll still take Cutler, looks like that Baltimore game was unique, and not gonna happen every week...then again it could be the norm if the Bills had a better O line and receivers that could hold on to the ball.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, Martz went over Cutlers bad habits and corrected them, like the bad footwork and off balance throws. Plus the Bears actually tried to run the ball more more then in past games, although they weren't very effective against the leagues worst run defense

31 rushes / 30 passes

I'll still take Cutler, looks like that Baltimore game was unique, and not gonna happen every week...then again it could be the norm if the Bills had a better O line and receivers that could hold on to the ball.

Thanks HL, although I wish the Bills didn't have to lose to prove my point, the run/pass balance was good for the Bears (shocking), and Cutler looked a lot more mobile than I've seen him. He has all of the tools.

Thanks HL, although I wish the Bills didn't have to lose to prove my point, the run/pass balance was good for the Bears (shocking), and Cutler looked a lot more mobile than I've seen him. He has all of the tools.

Too bad he can't play us every week...

Fitzy has super smarts, arm strength, mobility, toughness, quick decision making and he continues to improve. Maddening thing is all of the sudden, in the clutch on the last two series his accuracy goes to he11 even though he was hitting guys on the hands 20 yard downfield in triple coverage two drives before...

He almost needs the voodoo dr kinda coach to help fix his spontaneous lapses in accuracy... Gotta be some mental block againt making the tosses when it matters...

Cutler = JP Losman. Been there, done that, no thanks.

I'll take Fitzpatrick. I admit that I was not a Fitzpatrick guy at the beginning of the season, but I've loved the way he's played. For a while there, he was the only man on the team that showed up to play, especially the Jets game. As a fan I admire that.

I think his absolutely lethal timing for throwing an INT can be corrected. I think it takes time, coaching and mental adjustment to fully move from backup to starting QB. Besides, the more you play, the more you learn. He's only had 29 starts in his career (six seasons), including yesterday.