Bills situation beyond hope

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fan of the Buffalo fan, I like that! :flirt:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-hapless-and-hopeless-102210

Very good article. Not the typical unresearched cheap shot article that insults the city and the fans. I can't agree with all of the examples but I agree in principal that the Front Office is not up to NFL caliber.

Just think about where they ended last season with Fewell coaching. Then recall the GM search, the coaching search, the sleepy start to free agency, and the draft. Think about the "we have too many holes" and "we can't get it done in one" excuses. These comments made be very true but they are excuses and they define the mode of operation that we fans have to endure from this front office for far too long. The results speak for themselves.

Now we get to hear about how they must "bottom out" and that excuse is just lame. No team should ever try to lose to gain better draft picks. It sure looks like that is "big plan" they keep alluding too.

The best line from the article:

... "And when you look at the state of affairs in Buffalo, it is maddening, puzzling, and downright sad. I would love for Roger Goodell, who certainly has enough on his plate, to consider stepping in to save the team. Thats how mismanaged they are. The Bills are light years away from the Patriots, Jets, and Dolphins." ...

Edited by Bob in STL

I like Schein because he is always positive to WNY but this is the same guy who loved Jauron and picked us as his sleeper team every year. Take it with a grain of salt.

Wow. It took about 75 posts in this thread before someone made a weak attempt to discredit the writer. Back in 2008 or 2009 it would have been about 5 posts before this happened.

Tells me the attitude of most fans have changed drastically with an 0-5 start. Then again, the homers will rise again, and it'll happen the first week of January when their season actually begins.

I thought we did bottom out. With free agency, why does the team have to get worse before it gets better? Which GMs historically have tanked a team before actually turning things around? What has Nix done since he became GM to give you any confidence that he knows what he is doing?

I agree with you broader point. In fairness, this was the most barren free agency period in the history of free agency, due to the CBA agreement expiring and rendering so many would be ufas as rfas. Next year, however, should be a plentiful pool, and how the FO approaches that will be quite telling. I just hope they're not asleep at the wheel when the time comes.

Edited by Rob's House

I feel for people who keep buying into the 3 year rebuilding program after 3 year rebuilding program this organization sells.

I didn't think much of the Nix hire and every move he has made since then has reinforced my skepticism about him.

I wasn't one of those people. Why did these football geniuses switch to the 3-4 when they didn't have the personnel to run it? Why didn't they get the personnel to run the 3-4 before switching? In this day of free agency, it doesn't take as much time as you make it out to be.

I thought we did bottom out. With free agency, why does the team have to get worse before it gets better? Which GMs historically have tanked a team before actually turning things around? What has Nix done since he became GM to give you any confidence that he knows what he is doing?

Well, let's see. Washington was worse last year and they are tanking this season under their new GM. Oh wait. :oops:

Let's try that again. Seattle was worse last year and they are tanking this season under their new regime. Oh wait. :oops:

I guess some regimes come in and get to work immediately. Maybe they know life's short in the Not For Long NFL.

The sad part of the article is that it is 100% dead on. The Bills are at the lowest part of there history right now. :wallbash:

"Maybin’s next big play with be his first." lol'd at that one. I listen to Adam a lot on Sirius. I think he's pretty good. I didn't read one thing in this article that wasn't spot on. He articulated the situation perfectly. Very depressing

I really don't understand how any Bills Fan could find much fault with that article...Heck it even seemed like the guy is reluctantly bashing The Bills...Even if he's correctly bashing them...He makes a bunch of great points and honestly, I just don't understand why Bills Fans are not seriously questioning whether or not this needs to be a one and done for Nix/Gailey. Especially considering they have given us the recent Kelsay extension, and if these reports are correct on the Lynch Trade...well...I just don't know what to say about that...I give up...

This is an Organization by most accounts in complete and total disarray...I was willing to give Nix and Gailey the benefit of the doubt, but in a VERY short time they have ripped through their honeymoon period with bizarre moves, horrible judgement, or lack of action...It's freaking embarrassing... B-)

What you're describing is kind of like a Vegas wedding and realizing that the bride was a drag queen. Does one really need several months to see if the marriage will work out?

I wish there was a way for Ralph and his "management team" to read this article as they watch their on field team take yet another beating. If they had a ounce of dignity they would all resign.

Edited by Dante

Never been through a rebuild have you? When you cut vets and changeover systems you take a few steps back before you improve . What don't you get here? We were a bad team that is being dismantled to build with new drafted players and some FAs. If you can't handle it - move on junior.

You mean like the Marv Levy/Dick Jauron rebuild where the team actually improved in the first season?

Hey Tim, you still think Buffalo might lose to a UFL team after today's performance? The fact is the Bills could easily have a 3 or more wins were it not for untimely mistakes. Their record says they are a bad football team -- and they probably are -- but that was a performance today.

You mean like the Marv Levy/Dick Jauron rebuild where the team actually improved in the first season?

Yeah, and stayed the same or worse every season after that. That's NOT how to rebuild. Lose the crap and we are. Today the team played it's heart out and lost in overtime. That lesson will help all the young guys who played. The crap OL did'nt do badly at all and they almost all second the third year players. So crap on the FO all you want. I will look for signs of growth with young talent. We saw some today. Okay, cue the naysayers and the wailing wall of trolls. Have at it.

Good coaches will choose a system that fits their players. Good GMs will bring in players to play in the system. The coach and GM have failed on both counts, junior.

Good coaches will choose a system that maximizes the talents of the players they have. They didn't have to do whole scale changes before acquiring players that could play in the system.

Hey Junior, watch the game today?

Yeah, and stayed the same or worse every season after that. That's NOT how to rebuild.

In an effort to figure out what rebuild you were talking about I looked up some data.

Cardinals? Nope. Got better under Whis in his 1st year.

Falcons? Nope. Got better under Smith.

Ravens? Nope. Got better under Harbaugh.

Panthers? Nope. got better under Fox.

Bears? Yes. Got 2 games worse under Smith.

Bengals? Nope. Got better under Lewis.

Browns? Nope. Got better under Mangini.

Cowboys? Nope. Got better under Wade.

Broncos? Nope. The same.

Lions? Nope. Got better under Schwartz.

That's the first 10 teams, but so far the evidence that "you have to get worse to get better" doesn't seem to be the tact that 9 out of 10 of these teams took.

The entire organization has not been changed. Ralph, Littman, Brandon, Overdorf and Modrak the Magnificent are still in place.

:rolleyes:

The entire organization that matters to the players the field, smart guy. You know, the guys coaching them and the ones calling the plays?

Good coaches will choose a system that maximizes the talents of the players they have. They didn't have to do whole scale changes before acquiring players that could play in the system.

But why wait? Are you actually complaining because we aren't going to get 5-7 wins again? Is that really what this is all about to you? Who cares if we changed systems before the personel were ready? It's not like Gailey took a playoff team and screwed them up because he tried a system his players werern't ready for.

But hey, if you wanted the same 5-7 win team around here, nothing I can do to argue.

:rolleyes:

The entire organization that matters to the players the field, smart guy. You know, the guys coaching them and the ones calling the plays?

Gailey and Edwards are the smart guys?

But why wait? Are you actually complaining because we aren't going to get 5-7 wins again? Is that really what this is all about to you? Who cares if we changed systems before the personel were ready? It's not like Gailey took a playoff team and screwed them up because he tried a system his players werern't ready for.

But hey, if you wanted the same 5-7 win team around here, nothing I can do to argue.

No, I am complaining that the FO didn't address the glaring problems at the QB position, the glaring problems at OT, weakened the receiving corps and put in a defense that our players were not suited to play.

In an effort to figure out what rebuild you were talking about I looked up some data.

Broncos? Nope. The same.

That's the first 10 teams, but so far the evidence that "you have to get worse to get better" doesn't seem to be the tact that 9 out of 10 of these teams took.

Probably should add the Redskins to the list as the have equaled last years win total and at worst are 1 game out of first place in their division under Allen and Shanahan.

Broncos? Nope. The same.

Apples and oranges. Most of those teams had better talent than we have and some tanked after they showed some improvement. Every situation is different and on our case we will slide before improving. We need to show steady improvement toasted the goal of competing for a title. What don't you get about how little talent the FO inherited?

I agree with most of it and it all comes back to the front office. Remember last off season, this was THE YEAR Ralph was going to get some top flight people. The GM searched landed in house and 70 year old "football man" Buddy Nix. Then the coach search, only to be left scratching your head when Chan was announced. Sure you were thinking Cowher...who could of brought in Gailey as offensive coordinator, but no, Chan was our head coach. The Bills couldnt land the big fish. With Chan the offensive is certainly improved, but Chan brought in the D coordinator and were 5 points behind the record pace of the 1981 Colts for most points given up in a season. Thats how bad our defense is, it's working on historic bad.

To the draft. Who would of thought, knowing that we had Lynch and Fred, and with all our holes, that this draft would produce a 6 carry a game runningback, and minimal playing backups. The off season, Dwan-fine, Cornell "are you serious" Green. So 1 year in, color me not impressed by good ole Buddy.

I dont care what way they go in the draft, but if its a QB, they better be as damned certain as you can be that this is THE guy. Otherwise go front 7 defense with a lot of new linebackers and some type of edge rusher. Seems like we've jettisoned some payroll, didnt resign TO, Shobel gone, Lynch trade, Hardy cut, McCargo will be gone, etc so there should be money to spend. So if we dont bring in some impact FA's next off season, then you'll know Nix doesnt have a clue.

To me, it looks like meet the new boss, same as the old boss.