Prediction: Fitzpatrick Looks Bad Against Baltimore

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitz may not be the "future" of the franchise, but he's proven that he could be a good stand-in while our rookie QB comes up to speed. Even if it has to be for the entire season next year.

If we can add an O-lineman, and improve our defense, Fitz is a serviceable starter until Mallett/Luck/Newton is ready to go.

I think it's too early to make these generalizations. Four weeks ago, I would have agreed completely. Now, I think we owe Fitz the opportunity to play out the season and see if the production continues, because the turnaround has been nothing short of remarkable.

Let's play the "what if" game -- if Fitz finishes the season with 25+ TDs and a QB rating >90, do we still call him a "serviceable starter" and search for a franchise QB in the first round? I don't necessarily think so. Now, if Fitz tails off a bit and comes in around 20 TDs with a rating in the 80s, I very much like the idea of drafting "the franchise" and letting him sit behind Fitz for a year.

Bottom line -- there are still ten games left and anything could happen. There will be time to look back and evaluate when the season ends.

Hey Bill Polian, don't quit your day job. Whatever that is.

He's GM of the Colts (I joke).

Anyway, I just wanted to say I loved reading this topic in the sidebar on the main site. Made my morning. The unbiased reporter in me was impressed, but the fan in me was super pumped to watch a real-looking NFL football game involving my favored team. Go Bills!

Ok, obviously I was wrong too about Fitzy crashing and burning against the Ravens. It was refreshing to see the Bills actually compete for once. It actually looked like should I dare say it. An NFL OFFENSE. I can only hope that they continue to play at the same level through the rest of the season. Here's hoping. So we can concentrate on rebuilding the defense to fit the 3-4.

Wouldn't have been great to have Julius Peppers and Carlos Dansby yesterday?????

Okay, Fitzpatrick obviously played a great game. I was wrong.

I still don't believe in him as the future QB of this franchise.

However, as a fan, I can only feel proud of the effort and performance he put out there today.

"i was wrong".....yes you were...BIGTIME !!

#1- this is two seasons in a row where Fitz has replaced Edwards and the team looked significantly better.

#2- Fitz currently has the second highest QB rating in the entire league. If that doesn't make you happy, you are probably going to be unhappy for the rest of your life.

#3- in my mind he has proven himself to be rock solid and someone we want to keep on this team (he is under contract thru 2011). Fitz is the least of this teams troubles.

#4- his play is strong enough that it allows buffalo to draft the best available player in next years draft.

#5- if the best avail player happens to be a QB....i would draft the qb.

This is interesting. Good game against bad team? Doesn't count. Good game against good team? Doesn't count. What are the precise circumstances we need to get a true appraisal of his performance?

Any bad game, especially in pre-season is all the proof you need.

PTR

My kingdom to whomever gets the Simpsons reference I was going for here.

Homer said it to Chief Wiggum in the Springfield chili cook off episode--- the funny part being that he addressed him as Chief Wiggum. Johnny Cash was the coyote spirit guide during Homer's hallucination.

Although, I'll admit I didn't think of it as a Simpsons' reference until you specifically mentioned it!

Edited by Punch

Agreed. I wouldn't mind calling him a franchise QB, but he isn't elite.

The "no upside" argument prevailing across Bills nation (I bought in too) was clearly wrong. Fitz is playing well and showing improvement. Although his arm strength and accuracy were repeatedly questioned, his moxie and smarts are not. His accuracy and strength looked just fine Sunday… (give the man a pocket and he looks damn good) Could he be developed to become a franchise QB? Instead of “no, never” the answer now at least has to be “we don’t know, but anything is possible”.

I can only guess that he plays poorly in practice and well in games, almost the opposite of his predecessor.

Homer said it to Chief Wiggum in the Springfield chili cook off episode--- the funny part being that he addressed him as Chief Wiggum. Johnny Cash was the coyote spirit guide during Homer's hallucination.

Although, I'll admit I didn't think of it as a Simpsons' reference until you specifically mentioned it!

You're just jealous 'cause there's no clock on your hat.

Super sleuths - I am not MPL, but good try. Mods can do an IP check if they want, it's fine by me.

You can be the charter member of my fan club though, Conrad! :thumbsup:

By associating yourself with me, perhaps someone will care about what you have to say someday.

I Don't remember MPL but you do remind me of Benjamin Barker, he would say outlandish things like you as well and the amount he posts seems right in line with your posts. not to mention he left or got booted around the same time you joined.

Jeez, you guys are being pretty hypocritical here. All of the name calling and telling this guy to leave and critiquing the size of his genitals isn't what I'd call mature and reasonable discourse.

Frankly, he made the same prediction that pretty much everyone else in the NFL made - it certainly wasn't irrational to expect that Fitzpatrick would struggle against the Ravens' defense.

I also think that their defense DID take the Bills lightly, and did not perform up to their typical standards of execution. I say this because I both watched the game, and listened to their coaches and players say the same thing.

Bad teams being overlooked by good teams happens all of the time - it isn't disrespecting the Bills or Ryan Fitzpatrick or whatever to say it - it just plain happens.

Good teams get up to play other good teams. Good teams sometimes lay an egg against bad teams. The Bills are a bad team, and the Ravens overlooked them. Fitzpatrick still played very well, save a couple critical mistakes that ultimately helped cost them the game.

Most would be happy to have Ryan Fitzpatrick man the fort until our new franchise quarterback is ready to play. He's even welcome to be the #2 once that happens.

The "no upside" argument prevailing across Bills nation (I bought in too) was clearly wrong. Fitz is playing well and showing improvement. Although his arm strength and accuracy were repeatedly questioned, his moxie and smarts are not. His accuracy and strength looked just fine Sunday… (give the man a pocket and he looks damn good) Could he be developed to become a franchise QB? Instead of “no, never” the answer now at least has to be “we don’t know, but anything is possible”.

I can only guess that he plays poorly in practice and well in games, almost the opposite of his predecessor.

I always wondered why people questioned his arm strength, every game i've watched him he just slings the ball. He made some really tight throws and put the ball in spots no other QB would dare to. Accuracy can run astray at times as we saw a few times yesterday.

Personally i would like to draft Defense in the first next year and get a QB in the second round. Reason being is i don't believe too many QB's will be taken in the first and we would still be able to pick up a good prospect with number 33 overall. also we need some kind of pass rush so opposing offenses don't hang 30+ on us every game.

Jeez, you guys are being pretty hypocritical here. All of the name calling and telling this guy to leave and critiquing the size of his genitals isn't what I'd call mature and reasonable discourse.

Frankly, he made the same prediction that pretty much everyone else in the NFL made - it certainly wasn't irrational to expect that Fitzpatrick would struggle against the Ravens' defense.

I also think that their defense DID take the Bills lightly, and did not perform up to their typical standards of execution. I say this because I both watched the game, and listened to their coaches and players say the same thing.

Bad teams being overlooked by good teams happens all of the time - it isn't disrespecting the Bills or Ryan Fitzpatrick or whatever to say it - it just plain happens.

Good teams get up to play other good teams. Good teams sometimes lay an egg against bad teams. The Bills are a bad team, and the Ravens overlooked them. Fitzpatrick still played very well, save a couple critical mistakes that ultimately helped cost them the game.

Most would be happy to have Ryan Fitzpatrick man the fort until our new franchise quarterback is ready to play. He's even welcome to be the #2 once that happens.

If I may be so bold as to presume what other posters are thinking... but it wasn't so much the initial prediction, but more so his comments after the game yesterday that's quite off base.

Yes, make a prediction. But then when Fitz has a career game - the best by a Bills QB in 4 years or so; while putting more offensive yards on the Ravens defense than any opponent in 10 years - don't come back with a condescending, "I think we can all agree it's pretty evident at this point that [Fitz] is mediocre at best...". Had he come back and posted a simple... I was wong. I'm sure this thread would have died.

I agree that Fitzpatrick is a mediocre quarterback and think it's pretty evident *shrug*

He played a good game, and I think he did say he was wrong about the prediction.

The important thing, though, is that we don't get blinded and lose our once-a-quarter-century chance at an elite QB.

I agree that Fitzpatrick is a mediocre quarterback and think it's pretty evident *shrug*

He played a good game, and I think he did say he was wrong about the prediction.

The important thing, though, is that we don't get blinded and lose our once-a-quarter-century chance at an elite QB.

Drew Brees was considered a mediocre QB until the 32nd start of his career when he turned the corner and never looked back.

These are Fitzpatrick's passer ratings since his 27th start: