Bills fans should take Ryan Fitzpatrick seriously...

1billsfan

...as a true contender to the QB we've all been searching for since Kelly left the stage. When you look at his stats over his last five starts (last two games in '09 and the first three in '10) you come to realize that these are not the stats of a backup player. Extrapolated over a 16 game season, these are the numbers of a top tier NFL QB. So what is there to get excited about this year? How about the prospect of Bills fans finding out their franchise QB is already here. This is not a prediction that he will be that, just that Bills fans need to see the very good work he's been doing and the prospect that he just might continue to do so...

Fitzpatrick's last 5 starts...

11 TDs / 3 interceptions

Average TDs per game - 2.2 (35 TDs in a 16 game season)

Average yards per game - 185.6 (2969 yards in a 16 game season)

Average QB rating - 100.66

As a comparison, here are Jim Kelly's 1990 Superbowl season stats (14 games)

Total TDs - 24

Total yards - 2829

Yards per game - 202.1

Rating - 101.2

Cue the haters...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put the stats aside and pay attention to the actual game. While Fitz is light years better than Trent, he's not consistent enough while the game is still being decided. A lot of Fitzy's glossy stats are coming once the Bills are 20 points down and the backups are in.

PTR

Put the stats aside and pay attention to the actual game. While Fitz is light years better than Trent, he's not consistent enough while the game is still being decided. A lot of Fitzy's glossy stats are coming once the Bills are 20 points down and the backups are in.

PTR

listen to the Robot. He speaks the truth.

A disproportionate number of Fitz's stats have come against prevent defenses in garbage time. Kelly usually sat out those portions of games and never had a chance to pad his stats in the same way. Additionally, every QB passing against the Jags D has looked like a fantasy superstar--- and the Pats defense has done opposing QBs similar favors.

I like Fitz too (a lot, really), but some perspective is necessary when judging his statistics.

I'd be ok with him as the starter in 2011 if A) the Bills draft and "groom" a young QB behind Fitz until he is ready or B) there is no franchise QB available in the 1st round that the Bills feel comfortable with---- either, he's no more than a stopgap solution as a starter.

A disproportionate number of Fitz's stats have come against prevent defenses in garbage time. Kelly usually sat out those portions of games and never had a chance to pad his stats in the same way. Additionally, every QB passing against the Jags D has looked like a fantasy superstar--- and the Pats defense has done opposing QBs similar favors.

I like Fitz too (a lot, really), but some perspective is necessary when judging his statistics.

I'd be ok with him as the starter in 2011 if A) the Bills draft and "groom" a young QB behind Fitz until he is ready or B) there is no franchise QB available in the 1st round that the Bills feel comfortable with---- either, he's no more than a stopgap solution as a starter.

If you don't have a franchise QB, Fitz is a nice baseline QB to have. Doesn't fool you into thinking you don't need a franchise QB, but good enough to evaluate the rest of the offense.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I love Fitzy and the he plays with that Blue-Collar grit that us Bills fans love. I honestly hope he has a long career with this team. HOWEVER, we need to draft a true franchise QB next year. It just has to happen. Then Fitzy can spend the year grooming the kid....

PTR

and thats exactly why I picked him up in FF. nice backup QB

Let's bring this conversation back up after week 17 and I am pretty sure everyone will be ready to put Fitz on the first plane to Iceland. Judging by 5 games, with these 3? 1 last year in a blizzard against Indy 3rd stringers, 2 this year against the two of the bottom four defenses in the league. I bet they are busy in Canton sculpting Ryan's bust as we speak. :lol:

Player Att Comp Yds Comp % Yds/Att TD TD% INT INT% Long Sck Sack/Lost Rating

Ryan Fitzpatrick 227 127 1,422 55.9 6.3 9 4.0 10 4.4 98 21 127 69.7

Trent Edwards 183 110 1,169 60.1 6.4 6 3.3 7 3.8 46 23 139 73.8

Edited by Rayzer32

I want a Ryan Fitzpatrick with the consistant accuracy of a starting QB. If he were all of a sudden to become accurate when he needed to be I would be first to want him as my starter.

Unfortunately I cannot mix and match players.

What is funny is we were ready to run this guy out of town in the not to distant past.

Let's bring this conversation back up after week 17 and I am pretty sure everyone will be ready to put Fitz on the first plane to Iceland. Judging by 5 games, with these 3? 1 last year in a blizzard against Indy 3rd stringers, 2 this year against the two of the bottom four defenses in the league. I bet they are busy in Canton sculpting Ryan's bust as we speak. :lol:

How about his career 10-19-1 record as a starter?

How about checking his total 2009 stats with the Bills. Yup, he's our QB of the future. :doh:

Player Att Comp Yds Comp % Yds/Att TD TD% INT INT% Long Sck Sack/Lost Rating

Ryan Fitzpatrick 227 127 1,422 55.9 6.3 9 4.0 10 4.4 98 21 127 69.7

Trent Edwards 183 110 1,169 60.1 6.4 6 3.3 7 3.8 46 23 139 73.8

Did anyone watch the Tenn/Jax game last night? 57 year old backup QB Kerry Collins looked like John Elway. But the Bills can't find a backup QB worth a crap.

Edited by Rayzer32

...as a true contender to the QB we've all been searching for since Kelly left the stage. When you look at his stats over his last five starts (last two games in '09 and the first three in '10) you come to realize that these are not the stats of a backup player. Extrapolated over a 16 game season, these are the numbers of a top tier NFL QB. So what is there to get excited about this year? How about the prospect of Bills fans finding out their franchise QB is already here. This is not a prediction that he will be that, just that Bills fans need to see the very good work he's been doing and the prospect that he just might continue to do so...

11 TDs / 3 interceptions

Total TDs - 24

Total yards - 2829

Yards per game - 202.1

Rating - 101.2

Cue the haters...

He is a great leader but needs to get serious about the weight room if he wants to be the man.

11 TDs / 3 interceptions

Total TDs - 24

Total yards - 2829

Yards per game - 202.1

Rating - 101.2

Cue the haters...

stats are the only way you judge a QB? Not worth arguing about...Comparing Fitz to Kelly..Wow!

11 TDs / 3 interceptions

Total TDs - 24

Total yards - 2829

Yards per game - 202.1

Rating - 101.2

Cue the haters...

I love Fitz. He's got game. He's got heart, and balls. He doesn't quit. He plays hard, he makes others who don't play as hard look at themselves.

He is likely playing for love of the game, because I suspect with his education and smarts he could make as much or more money in another field of endeavor.

I wish he had a better line to play behind. The "garbage time stats" argument applies somewhat to winning QB as well, not all teams hug the ground.

That said, go watch old game film of Kelly on YouTube. You'll see these classic arch throws that sail gently down into the hands of the waiting receiver.

Sometimes he overthrows, or misfires, yeah. But the passes are just a total thing of beauty, and usually just where the receiver expects them to be (not always where the DB or viewer expect them to be.

I think there are Bills games from this season somewhere online. If you watch Fitz passes in these, you see something very different in the throws. Now part of this is timing and chemistry and "being on the same page" that takes time to work out. Part of it is a lower basic level of athletic talent.

I am hopeful that with more reps and practice time, Fitz might develop into a more reliable QB -- that the lame ducks and the "what the h***...where was that intended to go?" will diminish, maybe he can do extra toss and catch with his receivers and build more timing and get more on the same page. He is servicable.

But to mention him on the same page with Kelly, just 'cuz of statistics...."there are lies, Damn lies, and statistics!!!"