Wish we would do what the Raiders are doing

major

While it is Al Davis we're talking about - I take this to be no different than any other team when you get down to it. Arguably any team would trade any player if the trading team put up the right stuff. For example, the Colts might trade Manning for every Bills pick in the next two drafts. The issue is that in reality something like that would never happen. The Raiders are simply saying they would consider any trade not accept any trade.

I would take that trade.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. But given that philosophy, isn't virtually every player on every team available for a trade "for the right offer"?

Point taken.

But I still think that what the Raiders are doing makes sense, at least for a rebuilding team. It's like putting a sign on your car that reads, "For Sale: Price Negotiable." There's nothing to stop someone from offering to buy your car even with no "for sale" sign on it. If the price you were offered was high enough, you'd probably accept. But you're likely to get more offers once other people realize you're looking to sell.

When was the last time you saw anybody from the Bills threaten an opposing QB? Please, our biggest defensive problem is the front 7 and probably the scheme, too.

All I'm saying is they are definitely NOT "great." Great players make the players around them better. I don't see the Bills secondary doing that.

If you are 100% correct (and you may well be), we will have waited 3 years, and he was the #11 pick of an NFL draft. :oops:

McKelvin is another ugly scar from Levy/Jauron.

McKelvin has been our best player on defense in multiple games this year.

Couple that with the fact that we not only have zero pass rush, but no front 7 at all, and I'd say our secondary is playing pretty well.

Just a couple players up front and we'll see McKelvin, Byrd, and even Whitner, shine. But right now, they have no help.

If our secondary was really great then they would at least be a middle of the pack group without a pass rush. Almost anyone can look good with a strong pass rush in front of them. Great DBs make their pass rush look good by making the QB hold the ball- at least once in a while.

The Bills are 10th against the pass with no pass rush... Seems like at least middle of the pack to me.

The Bills are 10th against the pass with no pass rush... Seems like at least middle of the pack to me.

Teams don't have to pass on the Bills D - they can run the ball at will. When teams can run all over a D there is no need to throw the ball.

The Bills have the fewest passing attempts against them per game in the NFL so naturally they're not going to have allowed that many yards. The REAL statistic here is average per pass attempt and the Bills are 5th worst in the league there. I suppose that's better than their rushing D which is allowing 4.8 yards per rush - 4th worst in the league.

Bottom line is the Bills D is horrendous at both stopping the run and pass - really, it's up to the opposing offense to decide just how they want to move the ball because no matter what they choose they'll likely be successful.

You must not be very old. The Raiders were one of the winningest and most admired football franchises in the NFL until the last few years. They have won 3 Super Bowls and appeared in two others. From 1963 to 2002 they only had 7 losing seasons. They have 20 players in the hall of fame. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Thanx for posting I was about to say the same thing. The Raiders were winners and a team admired for toughness. Yes they have an owner who is aging and the game is passing him by but he was a shrewd dealer and got Lamonica from Buffalo.

Teams don't have to pass on the Bills D - they can run the ball at will. When teams can run all over a D there is no need to throw the ball.

The Bills have the fewest passing attempts against them per game in the NFL so naturally they're not going to have allowed that many yards. The REAL statistic here is average per pass attempt and the Bills are 5th worst in the league there. I suppose that's better than their rushing D which is allowing 4.8 yards per rush - 4th worst in the league.

Bottom line is the Bills D is horrendous at both stopping the run and pass - really, it's up to the opposing offense to decide just how they want to move the ball because no matter what they choose they'll likely be successful.

That much is true for sure (your last sentence there)

The Raiders are changing, though man.

They are getting better.

Gradkowski is a solid QB. I thought so a couple of years ago. Just like Jeff Garcia. I think both QB's could have helped us when they were available. But the Bills did nothing.

With the exception of Wood, Spiller, Williams, McKelvin, McGee, and Bryd, I would say the whole team is tradeable.

Maybe we could trick the other team to take Modrak in the deal, and we'd be in great shape in no time.

What's McKelvin done for us? McGee? You got to be kidding me. McGee averaging a whopping 2 INT's the last 4 years. Yea...those are great numbers for a starting CB. McKelvin? Just 2 INT's in his entire sorry excuse for a career.

Both of them are expendable. Our biggest mistake was letting Greer go. He was by far our best cover corner and we let him walk.

What's McKelvin done for us? McGee? You got to be kidding me. McGee averaging a whopping 2 INT's the last 4 years. Yea...those are great numbers for a starting CB. McKelvin? Just 2 INT's in his entire sorry excuse for a career.

Both of them are expendable. Our biggest mistake was letting Greer go. He was by far our best cover corner and we let him walk.

ah yes, the ol "judge a CB only by the number of INTs he gets" argument...

ah yes, the ol "judge a CB only by the number of INTs he gets" argument...

Not to mention that INTs are almost always caused by pressuring the QB into mistakes and the Bill don't get pressure on the QB.

These are the same Raiders that everyone thought had made a genius move in trading for Jason Campbell in the offseason - how's that look now?

A quote from Schien's latest article: "Jason Campbell - Did you watch this game? Campbell couldn’t complete the forward pass. A quarterback rating of 10 doesn’t even begin to tell the story."

Just because you want to make a trade, doesn't necessarily mean you should (not that we could have anyway)...

I wish the ****ty players on our team didnt make the posters here lash out at the only respectable members of our team and whoever is bitching about mckelvin not becoming a top tier corner sooner really??? He was our slot corner his first year and then he was hurt so this is the first time he is having to prove himself and he is doing admirably.

I wish the ****ty players on our team didnt make the posters here lash out at the only respectable members of our team and whoever is bitching about mckelvin not becoming a top tier corner sooner really??? He was our slot corner his first year and then he was hurt so this is the first time he is having to prove himself and he is doing admirably.

Is this the kind of production you are happy with from the #11 selection of a draft?

Is this the kind of production you are happy with from the #11 selection of a draft?

I think McKelvin is playing well, William. Probably not who I would've drafted in '08, but the guy is playing well. I guess in hindsight, I would love to see Ryan Clady or Branden Albert or even Joe Flacco, but we could post all week 'bout all the coulda shoulda woulda moves/non-moves the Bills have made in drafts prior. In fact, someone is doing it as we speak (it's kinda like how I Love Lucy or The Flinstones is always showing somewhere on Earth).

From what I've seen of him THIS season, yes. It's his third year and I'd describe his play this season as "solid to dominant".

Problem is there are at least 7 guys around/in front of him who are failing.

Edited by DrDankenstein

I think McKelvin is playing well, William. Probably not who I would've drafted in '08, but the guy is playing well. I guess in hindsight, I would love to see Ryan Clady or Branden Albert or even Joe Flacco, but we could post all week 'bout all the coulda shoulda woulda moves/non-moves the Bills have made in drafts prior. In fact, someone is doing it as we speak (it's kinda like how I Love Lucy or The Flinstones is always showing somewhere on Earth).

And this is what must change. Imagine if one day we could point to a player the Bills drafted and say, "he sure is playing great."

And this is what must change. Imagine if one day we could point to a player the Bills drafted and say, "he sure is playing great."

I imagine you will be able to say that 'bout this team.....whatever their name will be and whatever city they will call home by then. (Sure hope it doesn't change!)