Buffalo Has No Luck

bananathumb

Just going by Mark Gaughn's article in the News today (nobody else seems to have brought it up), Andrew Luck will almost certainly stay at Stanford next year.

The biggest reason is that the potential lock-out will still be up in the air when college players have to decide whether they are coming out for the draft. If he figures there will be no NFL football in 2011, he will have all the more reason to stay at Stanford.

It is a perfect example of the Bills' bad luck that the year they need a QB and have a top pick to get one, the highest-rated one stays in school and makes the pick all that more risky (given the busts this organization has had.) Unbelievable!

Just going by Mark Gaughn's article in the News today (nobody else seems to have brought it up), Andrew Luck will almost certainly stay at Stanford next year.

The biggest reason is that the potential lock-out will still be up in the air when college players have to decide whether they are coming out for the draft. If he figures there will be no NFL football in 2011, he will have all the more reason to stay at Stanford.

It is a perfect example of the Bills' bad luck that the year they need a QB and have a top pick to get one, the highest-rated one stays in school and makes the pick all that more risky (given the busts this organization has had.) Unbelievable!

John Clayton, and others who study these things, have the exact opposite opinion - 2011 may be the last "Big Pay Day" for NFL Rookies in the draft. A new CBA, and/or Rookie Pay scale may not kick-in until the 2012 season. Thus, it would make much more sense, financially, to come out and declare for the draft in 2011. This may be the last chance for a rookie to earn $10million/yr - $60+million contract, for quite some time. With the next CBA, and/or Rookie Pay scale, for eg., even the top draft picks may only earn $3million/year for 5 yrs. ($15million vs $60million + 1/3 to 1/2 of that guaranteed- easy decision).

Let's hope Clayton is right and Gaughn is wrong - at least in terms of Luck (or any of the top prospects for that matter) declaring for the draft.

Also, look how recent QBs stock has fallen, when they waited a year to come out for the draft - with Bradford being the exception. Matt Leinart, Tim Tebow, and Jake Locker, to name a few, were all considered to be candidates for 1st overall before they decided to return to school. Even Brian Brohm would have been better off had he come out a year earlier, in terms of dollars and cents.

I think Jim Harbaugh is the key. If Harbaugh leaves, then Luck will leave too. Lets hope that Harbaugh gets offered a premier job.

Ive read before education is very important to andrew and his family. It sucks we may lose a shot at him but kudos for him sticking to his beliefs.

Personally I dont think Gailey needs a top shelf QB to win. Fitzy is the 6th ranked passer in the league right now...who would have predicted that in January?

A top shelpf guy would help but I have confidence in gailey to get the most out of whoever lines up under center (except Edwards bc he sucked)

I think Jim Harbaugh is the key. If Harbaugh leaves, then Luck will leave too. Lets hope that Harbaugh gets offered a premier job.

The Bills should offer a coordinator job to Harbaugh and Luck will follow. An asymetrical approach to get the QB we want!

The Bills should offer a coordinator job to Harbaugh and Luck will follow. An asymetrical approach to get the QB we want!

I believe he turned down offer for interview for Bills' Head Coach job this past winter.

I totally don't get this statement

As an aside, the rookie wage scale is a minor issue compared with all the other financial factors that will go into a new NFL labor deal. Further, the rookie salary structure isn't that bad. It's only out of line for the top 10 or 15 picks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the rookie wage scale one of, if not the top issue, that the owners want to address in the CBA? It's off the charts and the $50M guaranteed money for Bradford is a good example. Seems like it will have to change radically or the owners won't budge. Of course they will likely have to give up something else to get the rookie scale where they want it, like a bigger cut of the TV revenues (for example), but I think Mark is way off on this point.

I was thinking the same. The one year Buffalo has a real shot for the #1 pick and the whole draft process will be in turmoil over the potential lockout. A large crop of underclassmen will opt to stay in school. This would be just a tough break that no one could foresee!

If there's a lockout, no contract would be signed for players drafted. Most likely the players coming out, who sign with an agent would get the typcial loan given by agents which is paid back once thye sign a contract. Compared to the contract finally agreed upon, likely a small amount.

So they have to weigh the loan given them by their agent against big bucks to be made staying in college.

Nothing against Chan, But Harbaugh would be a dream come true in B'lo

Agreed. If that's what it takes to get Luck to enter, do it. Harbaugh would be an upgrade over Gailey and you get the franchise QB. If you're Harbaugh, there's only so much winning you can do at Stanford with their academic standards and he's probably close to that ceiling. Plus he gets the chance to coach a franchise QB whom he knows. If Kelsay is getting $6m per year, money shouldn't be an issue.

I was thinking the same. The one year Buffalo has a real shot for the #1 pick and the whole draft process will be in turmoil over the potential lockout. A large crop of underclassmen will opt to stay in school. This would be just a tough break that no one could foresee!

Agreed, you can't even make this stuff up, cursed.