Maybin needs to play every snap the rest of the season

That's it, I don't have much else to say. I feel like the logic behind this is self-explanatory. The scrap heap crew of castaway linebackers we have isn't getting us anywhere (obviously). Just throw the guy out there and whatever happens, happens. I already don't care if they win or not, wouldn't it be nice to see Maybin get a few sacks and maybe get you psyched about penciling him in as a starter next year? I don't know.

That's it, I don't have much else to say. I feel like the logic behind this is self-explanatory. The scrap heap crew of castaway linebackers we have isn't getting us anywhere (obviously). Just throw the guy out there and whatever happens, happens. I already don't care if they win or not, wouldn't it be nice to see Maybin get a few sacks and maybe get you psyched about penciling him in as a starter next year? I don't know.

Look, I get what you are saying, but the Bills have the worst linebackers in all of football and maybe in team history and Maybin isn't even good enough to play mop-up duty. If he hasn't earned it, he should ride the bench. That's how it should work - no free passes because you're a first rounder. He is an average special teams player at best. Everyone should just forget his name because he will be gone in 1-2 years if not sooner.

I already don't care if they win or not, wouldn't it be nice to see Maybin get a few sacks and maybe get you psyched about penciling him in as a starter next year? I don't know.

Maybi, maybinot. Actually probably not. He has not done anything that got psyched other that throwing a clothesline move on a guy that was already going down and then watch him act the fool.

I saw enough of him yesterday too

I saw enough of him yesterday too

Wait a minute. Did he even play???

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. It seems they've cut his already limited playing time, which, on a team with absolutely no pass rush, isn't exactly a good thing for his career prospects. I think they may well have given up on him.

Defensive Ryan Leaf

Not really. Its just an extremely difficult transition to make these days. Recent draft history is littered with first and second round pass rush type DE prospects that were complete flops and the bust rate may well be higher than any other position. Needless to say, I'd avoid 4-3 type DEs like the plague in R1 if I were an NFL GM.

Edited by Brandon

Listen, I think the Bills suck every bit as much as you, BUT I will say that Maybin would only be a senior this year if he stayed in college. Could he be worse than the Leon Joes we currently have playing? Maybe so and maybe not. It couldn't possibly hurt to find out.

Haven't you seen maybin get pushed around like a rag doll when he's been on the field? This team is embarassing. It would become pitiful if maybin was inserted into the starting lineup. Case closed.

This is the time to *trade* Maybin, not play him. The more PT he gets, the more he shows how bad he is. He's still young enough and inexperienced enough that someone can talk himself into thinking that he can turn Maybin around. Every snap Maybin plays lowers his price. It's not like this is unprecedented. The Bucs drafted Gaines Adams #4 overall in 2007, and traded for a 2nd-round pick in 2009. Now, Adams actually had some production (12.5 sacks combined in first 2 years, made All-Rookie Team), so we wouldn't be getting anything like a #2, but the point is that we could still get something instead of cutting Maybin for nothing.

Listen, I think the Bills suck every bit as much as you, BUT I will say that Maybin would only be a senior this year if he stayed in college. Could he be worse than the Leon Joes we currently have playing? Maybe so and maybe not. It couldn't possibly hurt to find out.

I've had similar thoughts about Maybin. If the Bills were playing a typical 3-4 I can see the value in putting him out on the field. The LB's are the weakest link of this defense. Outside of Poz (who constantly misreads or takes a couple steps the wrong way) making some tackles 8 yards down field I really didn't notice any of the other's doing anything notable especially in pass coverage where they appear to run around aimlessly in the secondary (they remind me of the movie Stripes when Bill Murray's company is wandering out of the woods at the obstacle course!).

IMO, he came out of college too soon but listened to his advisors (Arington, etc.) about going for the big money and then had the balls to hold and and then contribute zippo. That should have been a humbling learning experience but I suspect the guy's still very immature, listening to the wrong people, and the big money doesn't help keep the dude hungry for success.

Physically he wasn't and still isn't capable of handling NFL caliber offensive lines as a full time player. But its inconceivable that a team that generates no pass rush and possesses no linebacker that can cover any TE or RB, cannot identify a dozen or so situations during the game where his speed and quickness would be an asset to a defense that is so dysfuntional.

Knowing our luck, I can see the Bills giving up on the guy while he physically and mentally matures and gets picked up by a team that employs a sophisticated 3-4 where he somewhat excells.

Time to face the facts and just accept the reality that Maybin is a bust and will never contribute to this time.

The longer you cling to this notion that he might magically get good, the longer you will feel frustrated by him.

Look at what coaching has done for guys like Elvis Dumervil and Tamba Hali, not to mention Cameron Wake.

The first 2 were relatively high draft picks (Not as high as Maybin), but they were both on the rocks with their teams...and all of a sudden they came on strong, Dumervil last year and Hali this year. These guys took time to develop and put muscle/weight on.

Give Maybin more than a year, I understand he should have produced more than what he has in 21 games...but give him another year.

The first 2 were relatively high draft picks (Not as high as Maybin), but they were both on the rocks with their teams...and all of a sudden they came on strong, Dumervil last year and Hali this year. These guys took time to develop and put muscle/weight on.

Actually, both Dumervil and Hali stepped right in and performed well as rookies. Dumervil had 8.5 sacks and Hali had 8.

Unless you think Torbor or Ayodelle are going to develop into quality starters you should absolutley play Maybin. He's got physical talent and the only way to develop skills on the field is to play.

My first year in college I was an embarassment on the basketball court. After 6 months of playing I could take all you guys to the hole. Maybe he develops, if not you cut bait with no regrets. What's to lose?

Edited by Rob's House

Unless you think Torbor or Ayodelle are going to develop into quality starters you should absolutley play Maybin. He's got physical talent and the only way to develop skills on the field is to play.

My first year in college I was an embarassment on the court. After 6 months of playing I could take all you guys to the hole. Maybe he develops, if not you cut bait with no regrets. What's to lose?

Agree with you, but he needs to focus on trying to be an 3-4 OLB. Right now our defense system has little stability and the D is also playing horribly. Coaches need to give up using him as a down lineman, keep him in space and committed to OLB in a 3-4. Can't see playing him right now because how do you get into a comfort zone and learn to play in a defense like ours? Hopefully later in the season. And then every down, not just passing downs.

My first year in college I was an embarassment on the basketball court. After 6 months of playing I could take all you guys to the hole. Maybe he develops, if not you cut bait with no regrets. What's to lose?

Thank you. This is exactly what I'm saying.

I agree because at this point there is nobody in front of him that is doing any better than he would. But here's my take: there is nothing Maybin can do

to get on the field. I don't believe Gailey likes him in general as a player. Gailey and Nix did not draft him. They have no loyalty to him. He might be

out the door after this season as part of a trade possibly.

Edited by purple haze