Jairus Byrd

His thing last year was taking advantage of the pressure that Schobel was putting on QB's , with little or no pass rush at all opposing QB's have all day to pick apart our D as they have done for the past 4 weeks . Until we get some type of pass rush don't expect things to change !!!!

Is this guy going to make a single play this year or what?

It's bad enough he's going to get zero interceptions this year, but he could at least come up with a big hit or pass breakup once in a blue moon.

yeah, let's start this now. Let's call him a bust too!!

It's kind of hard for the secondary to do anything when there is absolutely zero pass rush.

Or when the opposite team does not have to throw because we cannot stop the run.

Honestly what I have seen is that Byrd is lining up too far away from the LoS and not getting to his man. I don't know if this is part of the scheme

It's bad enough he's going to get zero interceptions this year, but he could at least come up with a big hit or pass breakup once in a blue moon.

the tampa 2 defense made byrd. he actually has to cover people now.

let's trade him for a 7th round pick, 6th rounder if certain conditions are met.

It's kind of hard for the secondary to do anything when there is absolutely zero pass rush.

I agree. It is very hard to criticize the secondary when our front seven creates no pass rush. On another note, how about a safety blitz every once and a while....oh that's right, our LB's are terrible in coverage so scratch that idea.

I said last year that Byrd was overrated. I said this because most of his interceptions were the result of nice bounces rather than great plays on the ball.

This year is different - no pass rush so just about every opposing pass is a throw to an open receiver. Still haven't seen any great plays from Byrd though.

There has definitely been little pass rush, and that has made things harder on the secondary, but COME ON. Five games in and he has still not made one single big play?

He got a bunch of lucky, fluke interceptions on tipped balls and horrible overthrows and fans just don't want to be honest that he is playing at a low level this year.

I guess this lingering phantom injury will be the excuse all season long.

There was a big debate before the season started between the realists and the Kool-Aid drinkers with regard to Byrd. The Kool-Aiders used Byrd as one of the big reasons why the Bills would be playoff contenders. They cited our young, blossoming offensive line that would soon become the strength of the team, and our ball-hawking secondary featuring the future Hall of Famer Jairus Byrd.

As is typical, the realists were correct.

I know it hurts to admit, but Byrd was exceptionally fortunate last year to come down with as many interceptions as he did. Big overthrows, tipped passes galore, etc. I can honestly only remember one pick that he made where he went up and took a ball from someone. I'm sure there was maybe another one that I can't remember.

He also is proving to be quite injury prone, which is troublesome.

The immediate response from the embarrassed Kool-Aiders is to find any excuse that they can make to explain away his poor play. Whether it be blaming injury or the other players on the team, the fact of the matter is he is not making ANY plays. None. People cite the lack of pass rush as a prime excuse for his awful play. Let us not forget that the Bills defensive front last year was a weakness of the team. Pass rush has been a problem for this team for a decade. Perhaps it is worse this year - it certainly isn't any better. But Byrd wasn't playing behind the Ravens front 7 last year either.

Should we trade him away? Of course not. But it's about time to start accepting that he isn't going to be the playmaker that we were all hoping for.

I would add that the few times I've noticed Byrd on the field it's because of his hesitant play. I've seen multiple plays where Byrd has pulled-up or just plain stopped rather than driving through the offensive player and making a big hit.

Not sure if he's hurt, doesn't know the D well enough or what the deal is, but needs to finish plays, IMO.

this is a totally sane thread usually the leader in INTs is pretty much just some hack who gets lucky 9 times in 13 games im sure it has nthing to do with not having a nose tackle or any line backers who do anything there are so many people on this team peop can single out why why why is it byrd and whitner our safeties are one of our only strong points we are winless people i could careless is byrd went out and sat 20 yards back and layed down and watched us lose

In this great new defense that Byrd gets to line up 30 yards deep and watch the game from the field level. Seriously, he is playing so deep that he is no longer a factor in any of the plays. This is especially evident in the red zone when he plays behind all the opposing WRs and TEs and watches them catch TD passes. Whitner is also too deep and has been late in support on many critical plays.

This did not happen last year. The way the safeties are being used is a factor as is the obvious lack of pass rush.

In this great new defense that Byrd gets to line up 30 yards deep and watch the game from the field level. Seriously, he is playing so deep that he is no longer a factor in any of the plays. This is especially evident in the red zone when he plays behind all the opposing WRs and TEs and watches them catch TD passes. Whitner is also too deep and has been late in support on many critical plays.

This did not happen last year. The way the safeties are being used is a factor as is the obvious lack of pass rush.

I remember some film review that said the guy was lucky as hell to have 9 balls thrown directly to him last year.

I didn't believe it, thinking it was impossible to be in the right place at the right time that consistently.

Now, I'm definitely having second thoughts. Looks like just another wasted top-50 selection on a DB.