The worst beers in the world

Just Jack

Rememmber Fife and Drum???

Wow. Blast from the past. I remember the commercials, but don't remember the taste.

I do remember Black Label, though. It sucked.

OTOH, as a youngster I laughed at those who drank Ballantine XXX Ale. Then I had one and thought it was pretty good, actually. At least it had some balls (not those kind of balls) and flavor. Ballantine is a brand that bounced around I think. I wonder if they still make the stuff. (I will go look.)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Blast from the past. I remember the commercials, but don't remember the taste.

I do remember Black Label, though. It sucked.

OTOH, as a youngster I laughed at those who drank Ballantine XXX Ale. Then I had one and thought it was pretty good, actually. At least it had some balls (not those kind of balls) and flavor. Ballantine is a brand that bounced around I think. I wonder if they still make the stuff. (I will go look.)

I was wrong, brewed by Genny!

http://heritage575.tripod.com/genesee_can_e.jpg

Also, pretty interesting read on both Ballantine and Black Label on this site, here is the link to the Black Label history.

http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/carling-black-label.htm

Re: Steel Reserve, I may be in the minority, but I think it is among the better cheap high-alcohol beers. That's not to say I think it's "good", but Old English and the others are way worse, IMO. 24oz cans of SR for 99 cents helped me pull through a period of severe poverty.

That was Hurricane for me. $.99 for a 40 at Food Lion in the late 90s was the ticket. It wasn't exactly the champagne of beers but I owe to it many a good night (and rough morning).

Side note: I'm told Schlitz (beer, not the God awful malt liquor) used to compete with Budweiser before a "sophisticated" ad campaign alienated the blue collar clientel, thus relegating it to the discount section.

The worst beers in the world

Below is a list of worst beers in the world as rated by the thousands of beer enthusiasts at RateBeer.com. Dare to try them? We don't advise it. We provide this list in the name of beer education. We aren't picking on the fat kid as much as we're making a few big brewers accountable for their products that are more about beer hype and marketing than substance. Often the pitch of mass marketing campaigns work against them among craft beer enthusiasts.

So North America makes 49/50 of the world's worst beers ? I cannot give any credence to such a survey unless they tell me they tried Russian beer also.

So North America makes 49/50 of the world's worst beers ? I cannot give any credence to such a survey unless they tell me they tried Russian beer also.

Good point. Hard to call that list the world's worst without really doing some research.

BTW we used to have these guys hanging around our house when we were kids. My dad owned a store in the late 50's to the 70's and got these for a promotion. I don't know what happened to them.

I'm surprised no mention of Piels yet. Tried to get through a sixer of that one time during college... couldn't do it.

Out of the 50 on that list, I'm batting just over .500. Too many years spent drinking the cheap stuff in college and as a junior enlisted guy in the AF.

I'm surprised no mention of Piels yet. Tried to get through a sixer of that one time during college... couldn't do it.

Out of the 50 on that list, I'm batting just over .500. Too many years spent drinking the cheap stuff in college and as a junior enlisted guy in the AF.

Piels belongs on the list.

So do:

Blatz

Narragansett

Koehler

Goebel

Red, White and Blue

Knickerbocker

Edited by The Dean

Piels belongs on the list.

So do:

Blatz

Narragansett

Koehler

Goebel

Red, White and Blue

Knickerbocker

What about the no-name "Beer?" Wasn't that sold through Loblaws? That was Koch's (Dunkirk, NY) right? You know, the ones that were just a yellow and black label saying: Beer. :D

Is that the same Koch family that is Sam Adams? Or a different brewing Koch family?

Speaking of 7oz beers, I am really lamenting their rarity these days. OV splits gone (they were actually 6 1/2oz), no more Rolling Rock ponies. I think you can still get Heineken 7oz bottles, but a case actually costs MORE than their 12oz bottles. WTF is up with that? I found a great 7oz bottle sampler from Flying Dog Brewery. The Canis Major Mixed Pack has two 7oz bottles each of four very nice, stronger brews. They come in brown bottles...I think you might like these bad boys.

so went to the Total Wine today and looked for this..alas not to be found. Lady at customer service mentioned something about distributors, I was like "dude who told me bout this is in Florida, we are in VA, brewery is in MD :wallbash::thumbdown: . After a few calls,she said will most likely have for me on Tuesday next week :thumbsup::lol:

BTW, they carry all the other Flying Dog products

Edited by plenzmd1

so went to the Total Wine today and looked for this..alas not to be found. Lady at customer service mentioned something about distributors, I was like "dude who told me bout this is in Florida, we are in VA, brewery is in MD :wallbash::thumbdown: . After a few calls,she said will most likely have for me on Tuesday next week :thumbsup::lol:

So when you get there next week tell her "nah, changed my mind."

BTW, they carry all the other Flying Dog products

Outstanding. The beers are pretty good, too.

Beer just tastes better when it comes from a 7oz bottle.

The Raging B word Belgian IPA is a masterpiece IMO.

As good as their beers are, I think I like Flying Dogs' beer names and label artwork (by Ralph Steadman!) just as much.

I will have to try Raging B word. I love a good Belgian IPA.

I'm always shocked when young people order a PBR. They think they are being retro-cool. PBR is what it is, cheap light industrial beer. Not much better or worse than most other garbage beers.

Re: Steel Reserve, I may be in the minority, but I think it is among the better cheap high-alcohol beers. That's not to say I think it's "good", but Old English and the others are way worse, IMO. 24oz cans of SR for 99 cents helped me pull through a period of severe poverty.

Some of the worst beers I ever drank were:

A&P Tudor

Stegmaier

Duquesne

Hamms

Old Style (Dog Style)

Iroquois

Koch's (Golden Anniversary stands out)

Genny Cream

Miller 64/Select 55/Ultra (tried the Miller and Select once)

Corona Light

Coors Light

Cave Creek Chili Beer

Schlitz

I'll think of more, I'm sure.

The other day I was at a small local market known for their meat quality and price. I noticed Genny, Genny Light and Genny Cream in their beer cooler (that's pretty odd down here). Not only that, but they were selling single cans of Genny for 50 cents. It was a hot day, the beer was very cold and I was thirsty. So, in honor of a couple of my Uncles (tried and true Genny drinkers) I rifled one down in the parking lot. Good? No. But I've had worse. I was laughing quite a bit as I drank it, too. :beer:

you stole me thunder kinda...KOCHS LIGHT LAGER...tastes exactly like battery acid(which I was forced to drink as a youth)..i had it rough..

Speaking of 7oz beers, I am really lamenting their rarity these days. OV splits gone (they were actually 6 1/2oz), no more Rolling Rock ponies. I think you can still get Heineken 7oz bottles, but a case actually costs MORE than their 12oz bottles. WTF is up with that? I found a great 7oz bottle sampler from Flying Dog Brewery. The Canis Major Mixed Pack has two 7oz bottles each of four very nice, stronger brews. They come in brown bottles...I think you might like these bad boys.

Rolling Rock ponies are still around. I work at a summer camp and when we're off duty at night we go up the road to the local establishment where you can get a bucket of 5 on ice for $5. Easily the best deal in the bar.

Rolling Rock ponies are still around. I work at a summer camp and when we're off duty at night we go up the road to the local establishment where you can get a bucket of 5 on ice for $5. Easily the best deal in the bar.

Did you get them THIS past summer? If so, I will be very encouraged. I haven't seen them in a year or two. I've been doing some web searching looking for a local distributor and have come up empty so far.

I more or less stopped drinking RR when AB bought the brand and closed the Latrobe brewery. But I make an exception for the "Little Nips". I won't drink Corona or Coors (or Coors Light) from any container, though.*

* Given a choice of another kind of beer.

Did you get them THIS past summer? If so, I will be very encouraged. I haven't seen them in a year or two. I've been doing some web searching looking for a local distributor and have come up empty so far.

I more or less stopped drinking RR when AB bought the brand and closed the Latrobe brewery. But I make an exception for the "Little Nips". I won't drink Corona or Coors (or Coors Light) from any container, though.*

* Given a choice of another kind of beer.

Yep. From the beginning of June through the end of August that was about all I drank unless they had something new on tap that I wanted to try.

Good point. Hard to call that list the world's worst without really doing some research.

BTW we used to have these guys hanging around our house when we were kids. My dad owned a store in the late 50's to the 70's and got these for a promotion. I don't know what happened to them.

I guess you guys don't know how ratebeer works. It's all based off of user feedback from beer enthusiasts. You can sign up for an account and go vote if you want. Most of the user base is American, so it's going to be more heavily slanted toward that.