The worst beers in the world

Just Jack

or bottled in green or clear bottles.

OV splits were awesome, and they were in clear bottles (Cincy was another Canadian beer sold in clear split bottles). For some reason OV in 12oz brown bottles sucks. Maybe they changed the formula.

Heineken and Grolsch are fine, and come in green bottles. I think Dos Equis is sometimes in a green bottle too, and it ain't bad (although it's no Negra Modelo). And I always thought the Rolling Rock ponies tasted pretty good, too.

I would agree that clear and green bottles aren't the ideal packaging for beer, but the bottle doesn't dictate whether the beer put inside is any good, IMO. That beer may be compromised more quickly than had it been packed in a dark bottle, though.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OV splits were awesome, and they were in clear bottles (Cincy was another Canadian beer sold in clear split bottles). For some reason OV in 12oz brown bottles sucks. Maybe they changed the formula.

Heineken and Grolsch are fine, and come in green bottles. I think Dos Equis is sometimes in a green bottle too, and it ain't bad (although it's no Negra Modelo). And I always thought the Rolling Rock ponies tasted pretty good, too.

I would agree that clear and green bottles aren't the ideal packaging for beer, but the bottle doesn't dictate whether the beer put inside is any good, IMO. That beer may be compromised more quickly than had it been packed in a dark bottle, though.

*nsfw

Edited by The Senator

So lets be clear, you liked OV splits only cause you could buy a case of em at 3.00 AM at the Brick, and at that point anything tastes good!! And, hopefuly more, you shared that case with the little sweetie next to ya, , that led to a little sumthim sumthin at the end of the night, and hence the OV tasetd great!! :thumbsup:

Stand by my contention on the bottles, hate Heinenken, Grolsh, Stella, Molson Golden..the whole lot of em. Been tempted to try a NewCastle Brown, but just gotta assume clear botle chit beer : :nana:

sly fox brewery in phoenixville pa is canning their beers...its a nice touch

or bottled in green or clear bottles.

BTW, some decent beers starting to be shipped in cans again, and it make sense..no light, no air,coated lining. Kinda like the plastic stoppers or screw tops on wine, took a while but starting to take hold even amongst the traditionalists.

the screamers have gotten a bad rap, but for the style of beer that it is...American Cream Ale, it is very well respected and has won several awards at major beer competitions...

Genesee Cream Ale has won WORLD BEER CUP Gold medals in 1990 & 1991, Silver medals in 1987, 1988, 1993, 1994 & 2005, and Bronze in 1995, 2002, & 2004 at the Great American Beer Festival.

I know a few have mentioned Naragansset beers belong on this list, but you need to call out specifically Hafenreffer.....terrible beer, but they had puzzles on the caps that distracted you from the taste

We had only gotten stuck on one of them...

So lets be clear, you liked OV splits only cause you could buy a case of em at 3.00 AM at the Brick, and at that point anything tastes good!! And, hopefuly more, you shared that case with the little sweetie next to ya, , that led to a little sumthim sumthin at the end of the night, and hence the OV tasetd great!! :thumbsup:

Stand by my contention on the bottles, hate Heinenken, Grolsh, Stella, Molson Golden..the whole lot of em. Been tempted to try a NewCastle Brown, but just gotta assume clear botle chit beer : :nana:

I forgot Newcastle which is among my favorite beers, actually. Some people tell me it is good for one or two, but starts to taste nasty after than. But quite frankly I rarely drink more than one or two beers these days.

As for OV, I liked OV splits any time and all the time. It wasn't a serious or high-end beer or a microbrew. But for a lighter lager it was pretty damn good, IMO. Far better than Bud or Labatt Blue even, IMO. Of course, I think my opinion is/was swayed by the 7oz bottles, which allows the beer to stay ice cold for the short drinking duration. It was the ideal "session beer" IMO.

Speaking of 7oz beers, I am really lamenting their rarity these days. OV splits gone (they were actually 6 1/2oz), no more Rolling Rock ponies. I think you can still get Heineken 7oz bottles, but a case actually costs MORE than their 12oz bottles. WTF is up with that? I found a great 7oz bottle sampler from Flying Dog Brewery. The Canis Major Mixed Pack has two 7oz bottles each of four very nice, stronger brews. They come in brown bottles...I think you might like these bad boys.

Finally (for now, anyway) I am one of the few people I know who will admit to really liking Molson Golden in the green bottles. :bag: It was a staple of my youth. Sometimes it was a tad skunky, but that was OK for some reason. I grew to like Export more (but still think Molson Stock Ale is their best beer) and even enjoyed O'Keefe Ale and Labatt 50 back in the day. Do they still make O'Keefe? I haven't had a Labatt 50 in years.

FX Matts has done a nice job of transitioning into the micro brewery industry, contract brewing some of the more notable beers on the market, Brooklyn and Sam Adams to name a couple

I second that nomination. Matts is pretty close to undrinkable.

I found a great 7oz bottle sampler from Flying Dog Brewery. The Canis Major Mixed Pack has two 7oz bottles each of four very nice, stronger brews. They come in brown bottles...I think you might like these bad boys.

Finally (for now, anyway) I am one of the few people I know who will admit to really liking Molson Golden in the green bottles. :bag: It was a staple of my youth. Sometimes it was a tad skunky, but that was OK for some reason. I grew to like Export more (but still think Molson Stock Ale is their best beer) and even enjoyed O'Keefe Ale and Labatt 50 back in the day. Do they still make O'Keefe? I haven't had a Labatt 50 in years.

Like Flying Dog beers for the most part, will get a one of these as I am sure Total Wine would carry.Such a great idea on these higher alcohol beers, thx for the heads up!!!

For the Labatt, i think, and stress think, the 50 is Labatt Ale now in the states. Have not seen it lately, but remember the store near me when I lived in MD carried it and that is what the owner told me.I also liked the 50.

Edited by plenzmd1

Always hated Miller. Tastes like squirrel piss and gives me a headache.

Miller is Nasty...had this beer in Turkey called Efes....by the the worst beer I have ever tasted in my life. After 3 months on a ship and stilol cant get it past your lips really says something.

PBR :sick:

Bite your tongue, Yank. That's a fine American pilsner. As far as cheap beer goes I place it second only to Miller High Life. Laugh if you will, seasoned drinkers of cheap American piss beer know it's a fine brew. :beer:

I'm curious how Steel Reserve stayed off the list. I've had my share of malt liquor and I can barely force my way through one of those.

I'd also give an honorable mention to Dundee Honey Brown. A $5 6 pack posing as affordable good beer, when in reality it's just expensive piss.

I avoid any domestic beers. Bud etc. I think the worst beer I can remember having is a Samuel Adams.

Try the Honey Porter. It's exquisite.

Edited by Rob's House

Bite your tongue, Yank. That's a fine American pilsner. As far as cheap beer goes I place it second only to Miller High Life. Laugh if you will, seasoned drinkers of cheap American piss beer know it's a fine brew. :beer:

I'm curious how Steel Reserve stayed off the list. I've had my share of malt liquor and I can barely force my way through one of those.

I'd also give an honorable mention to Dundee Honey Brown. A $5 6 pack posing as affordable good beer, when in reality it's just expensive piss.

I'm always shocked when young people order a PBR. They think they are being retro-cool. PBR is what it is, cheap light industrial beer. Not much better or worse than most other garbage beers.

Re: Steel Reserve, I may be in the minority, but I think it is among the better cheap high-alcohol beers. That's not to say I think it's "good", but Old English and the others are way worse, IMO. 24oz cans of SR for 99 cents helped me pull through a period of severe poverty.

Some of the worst beers I ever drank were:

A&P Tudor

Stegmaier

Duquesne

Hamms

Old Style (Dog Style)

Iroquois

Koch's (Golden Anniversary stands out)

Genny Cream

Miller 64/Select 55/Ultra (tried the Miller and Select once)

Corona Light

Coors Light

Cave Creek Chili Beer

Schlitz

I'll think of more, I'm sure.

The other day I was at a small local market known for their meat quality and price. I noticed Genny, Genny Light and Genny Cream in their beer cooler (that's pretty odd down here). Not only that, but they were selling single cans of Genny for 50 cents. It was a hot day, the beer was very cold and I was thirsty. So, in honor of a couple of my Uncles (tried and true Genny drinkers) I rifled one down in the parking lot. Good? No. But I've had worse. I was laughing quite a bit as I drank it, too. :beer:

I read the link while in LA for a wedding, wondering what Bud Chelada was. I found out when we went to Maui and visited a grocery store that it's Bud with...Clamato! WTF?!

Edited by Doc

I read the link while in LA for a wedding, wondering what Bud Chelada was. I found out when we went to Maui and visited a grocery store that it's Bud with...Clamato! WTF?!

From Wiki, not just HI:

"Clamato is also popular as mixer for mass-market American and Canadian beer. The resulting drink is known in Canada and parts of the northern US as a Red Eye. In early 2008, Budweiser released Budweiser Chelada and Bud Light Chelada—blends of Clamato and Budweiser or Bud Light—for national sale."

"In Canada, a red eye is a traditional drink combining tomato juice or clamato with beer."

Red Eye, What it looks like

:blink:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Iroquois

Schlitz

I'll think of more, I'm sure.

The other day I was at a small local market known for their meat quality and price. I noticed Genny, Genny Light and Genny Cream in their beer cooler (that's pretty odd down here). Not only that, but they were selling single cans of Genny for 50 cents. It was a hot day, the beer was very cold and I was thirsty. So, in honor of a couple of my Uncles (tried and true Genny drinkers) I rifled one down in the parking lot. Good? No. But I've had worse. I was laughing quite a bit as I drank it, too. :beer:

Iroquois..hahaha man I can still see the logo, and yes that was some bad stuff.

Rememmber Fife and Drum??? Think it was brewed by same folks who brewed Utica Club, now that was some bad stuff.

Schlitz, umm yummy :sick:

BTW, still like a Genny on tap on Friday with the fish fry!!!

Edited by plenzmd1