Google's Tribute to John Lennon

The Dean

Maybe it is a generational thing, but than again,a few kids my age like them, but seriously, I do not get the Beetles. He and the Beetles are good, but will someone please explain why they are so amazing? Is it beyond the music? Is it that he died young and before he ever finished? I am not trying to knock them I am just asking a question I ask myself every time I hear about the band and Lennon.

Maybe it is a generational thing, but than again,a few kids my age like them, but seriously, I do not get the Beetles. He and the Beetles are good, but will someone please explain why they are so amazing? Is it beyond the music? Is it that he died young and before he ever finished? I am not trying to knock them I am just asking a question I ask myself every time I hear about the band and Lennon.

Are you really asking these questions?:doh::wallbash:

You knew he was murdered? Considering what his beliefs were and his prominence, that does "kinda" martyrize him.

Here's what you do. Listen to all the music pre-Beatles then all the music post-Beatles.

Happy 70th birthday John!

Edited by Chef Jim

I was just asking a question, I understand the martyrdom, I appreciate Lawrence Welk as much as I appreciate the Beetles. That point is interesting, though, the Beetles being the breakthrough group. I know Jimmie Rodgers created country music while Eddy Arnold mainstreamed it, and Jack Cole created jazz while Louis Armstrong mainstreamed it. Those are, of course, controversial decisions.

In my music history class it was taught that R&B created rock and roll. The term was used by radio jockey's to describe some of the sounds of artists like Buddy Holly and Elvis. Eventually, the Rolling Stones were the first band to bill themselves soley on the "rock and roll" genre.

I have never understood what made the Beetles who they were. I would relate this more to hearing so much music since they debuted that the spectrum of sound is over saturated. It must truly be something you had to have experienced to understand it. I do appreciate it but I do not understand the phenomenon of the Beetles. I do not understand KISS, Carrie Underwood, or Lil'Wayne, either. Perhaps a younger person could explain to me some day how the latter two revolutionized the music sound. (I truly doubt that, though).

Edited by jboyst62

+1

You knew he was murdered? Considering what his beliefs were and his prominence, that does "kinda" martyrize him.

Dimebag was murdered too

I was just asking a question, I understand the martyrdom, I appreciate Lawrence Welk as much as I appreciate the Beetles. That point is interesting, though, the Beetles being the breakthrough group. I know Jimmie Rodgers created country music while Eddy Arnold mainstreamed it, and Jack Cole created jazz while Louis Armstrong mainstreamed it. Those are, of course, controversial decisions.

In my music history class it was taught that R&B created rock and roll. The term was used by radio jockey's to describe some of the sounds of artists like Buddy Holly and Elvis. Eventually, the Rolling Stones were the first band to bill themselves soley on the "rock and roll" genre.

I have never understood what made the Beetles who they were. I would relate this more to hearing so much music since they debuted that the spectrum of sound is over saturated. It must truly be something you had to have experienced to understand it. I do appreciate it but I do not understand the phenomenon of the Beetles. I do not understand KISS, Carrie Underwood, or Lil'Wayne, either. Perhaps a younger person could explain to me some day how the latter two revolutionized the music sound. (I truly doubt that, though).

From 1959-1963 rock and roll barely existed on the pop charts. Lots of genre fads (surf, folk, teen idols) but rock and roll was essentially dead. The Beatles ended up opening up the possibilities of the style. The rise of the LP, coincidentally, came along at the same time as the Beatles. It was they who really discovered what a two sided album could actually accomplish, artistically. Pre-Beatles, LPs were collections of singles and some throw away covers. Post-Beatles we have Pet Sounds, dark Side of the Moon, London Calling, Remain in Light etc etc etc. None of which could have been recorded without the Beatles paving the way. Also check out a song like Eleanor Rigby or A day in the Life. Mind blowingly revolutionary. Eleanor Rigby is like a short story--no chorus no hook, just a portrait of this woman. A Day in the Life really opened up the sonic possibilities of the studio. More importantly there is no previous variations of those songs. They were not building on what everyone else was doing. They did it first and everyone else followed.

Took me 31 years to get into the Beatles--but those reissues last year totally hooked me. Amazing band that still sounds pretty fresh totally. Suppose that comes from being ripped of by everyone.

Fun Facts: The word "rock and roll" was coined by Alan Freed...but it's black slang for sex. Chuck Berry was the first to really market himself as "rock and roll," though it was Ike Turner who invented it.

Are you really asking these questions?:doh::wallbash:

plus this

John Lennon stood for something. He transcended music to become a symbol. Melodramatic but true. His murder carries a symbolism Dimebag's could not.

And Joyboy62, if it weren't for JL and the BeAtles, you'd have grown up liking Lawrence Welk.

Hyperbolize much?

:lol: Lennon's treated like some kind of martyr/saint, when all he was was another vapid celebrity who somehow bought into the fact that because he could play a few chords on a guitar, he was a social hero. See: Bono.

Hyperbolize much?

:lol: Lennon's treated like some kind of martyr/saint, when all he was was another vapid celebrity who somehow bought into the fact that because he could play a few chords on a guitar, he was a social hero. See: Bono.

:thumbsup:

You are so right.

Just because you are a great entertainer, that does'nt make you an expert on global affairs.

:thumbsup:

You are so right.

Just because you are a great entertainer, that does'nt make you an expert on global affairs.

And just because you're a great entertainer doesn't mean we have to listen to you open your mouth to do anything other than sing.

From 1959-1963 rock and roll barely existed on the pop charts. Lots of genre fads (surf, folk, teen idols) but rock and roll was essentially dead. The Beatles ended up opening up the possibilities of the style. The rise of the LP, coincidentally, came along at the same time as the Beatles. It was they who really discovered what a two sided album could actually accomplish, artistically. Pre-Beatles, LPs were collections of singles and some throw away covers. Post-Beatles we have Pet Sounds, dark Side of the Moon, London Calling, Remain in Light etc etc etc. None of which could have been recorded without the Beatles paving the way. Also check out a song like Eleanor Rigby or A day in the Life. Mind blowingly revolutionary. Eleanor Rigby is like a short story--no chorus no hook, just a portrait of this woman. A Day in the Life really opened up the sonic possibilities of the studio. More importantly there is no previous variations of those songs. They were not building on what everyone else was doing. They did it first and everyone else followed.

Took me 31 years to get into the Beatles--but those reissues last year totally hooked me. Amazing band that still sounds pretty fresh totally. Suppose that comes from being ripped of by everyone.

Fun Facts: The word "rock and roll" was coined by Alan Freed...but it's black slang for sex. Chuck Berry was the first to really market himself as "rock and roll," though it was Ike Turner who invented it.

plus this

John Lennon stood for something. He transcended music to become a symbol. Melodramatic but true. His murder carries a symbolism Dimebag's could not.

Ah, someone who gets it and understands. What the Beatles evolved into and what they pioneered that forever changed the landscape of Rock and Roll. That, and they laid down some outstanding songs along the way. As for entertainers having something to say (griped about by others in this thread), beyond their music is every bit as important as any other voice this planet. Listen to what they say or don't, it's your choice. Jeez, this coming from a crowd that thought of the actor from Bedtime for Bonzo being held as a quality President........

Lennon spoke (and wrote) of peace. Now that's a bad thing, how dare he.....