Five Myths That Continue To Pervade TSW

Myth 1: Buddy Nix Knows How To Build A Football Team.

Buddy Nix is a professional scout. His entire career has consisted of, to paraphrase Bill Parcells, picking the groceries. He has never, as far as we know, designed the menu or the recipes. There is a difference. It is one thing to be able to identify talented players; it is quite another thing to construct a franchise. For the latter, you need to understand so many more things, including coaching (and coach selection), scheme, the competitive landscape, the salary cap, and player development. Why folks just assume Nix can do all of those things has always eluded me - he has never done it before. Just because some scouts have done it successfully (Polian, Butler) doesn't mean all of them can. And so far in Nix's GM tenure, it appears that he cannot team-build. His coaching selections, the ill-advised switch to a 3-4, and the failure to acquire a capable starting offensive line are all evidence that he fails in this department.

Myth 2: The Chargers Are A Model NFL Franchise.

This one is more controversial, but IMO it's a myth. The Chargers have been somewhat lucky, in part due to their weak division and in part because they have hit on some quality draft picks (that, you CAN thank Nix for). However, in terms of team-building, they have been somewhat dysfunctional. While they've achieved success relative to the Bills, if you look at the path that has gotten them here there have been numerous curious decisions. To name some examples: firing Schotty after his success; drafting 3 elite running backs in a short timespan (LT, Turner, Matthews) - and then paying Sproles $8 million; playing chicken with their best players and clubhouse leaders; jettisoning Brees and drafting Rivers in his place, draft "misses" on WRs, etc. Again, this one is open to debate. The reason I raise it is because one of the most popular refrains we hear at TSW is that Nix is the architect of a great team. I take issue with both of those points - I think Nix was not the architect, and that San Diego has succeeded despite serious dysfunction.

Myth 3: Nix and Gailey Are On The Same Page.

This is another popular one. But it got tosses out of the window down 53 flights yesterday, when the announcers during the game relayed Gailey's comment to them before the game to the effect that, "Our offensive line just isn't big or physical enough for us to do what we want to do on offense." Oh realllllly? And what was done this offseason to fix that critical problem? You'd think that if Nix and Gailey were truly together on everything, at a minimum Gailey would've pushed for (and gotten) more help with the key foundation of the offense he was hired to implement. Similarly, do you think that if Nix understood how little Spiller was going to be used in this offense, he would've burned a high draft pick on him? I tend to doubt it.

Myth 4: The Bills' Problem Is Poor Drafting.

Sorry, this is a myth. The Bills have had decent success in the draft over the past decade. The problem, unfortunately, has been horrible player development and horrible coaching. There are players on this team who would be very solid, productive role players - if not stars - for other teams in this league, had they been drafted into quality organizations with experienced, coherent coaching and schemes, as well as strength and conditioning. As much as folks here beat up on Lynch, Whitner, Poz, and even Kelsay, these are players who can play in this League. Their careers have been ruined by this cesspool of an organization.

Myth 5: The Bills Are Rebuilding.

This is the saddest myth of all of them. Folks, there is just no evidence that the Bills are "building" anything here. If you want to see an organization that is successfully rebuilding, take a look at Pioli's Chiefs. Specifically, look how many of his 2010 draft picks are playing key roles. By contrast, none of our 2010 draft picks are even playing, let alone playing a roll. This team continues to get beat at the point of attack, wear down late in games, and make mental mistakes. The key foundation of any NFL team - the offensive and defensive lines - continues to be a trainwreck. There is no NFL-caliber QB on the roster. This team is not rebuilding - it is re-doing. Sorry to say it, but it's just the truth.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy Nix is a professional scout. His entire career has consisted of, to paraphrase Bill Parcells, picking the groceries. He has never, as far as we know, designed the menu or the recipes. There is a difference. It is one thing to be able to identify talented players; it is quite another thing to construct a franchise. For the latter, you need to understand so many more things, including coaching (and coach selection), scheme, the competitive landscape, the salary cap, and player development. Why folks just assume Nix can do all of those things has always eluded me - he has never done it before. Just because some scouts have done it successfully (Polian, Butler) doesn't mean all of them can. And so far in Nix's GM tenure, it appears that he cannot team-build. His coaching selections, the ill-advised switch to a 3-4, and the failure to acquire a capable starting offensive line are all evidence that he fails in this department.

Fair enough...We'll see I guess...

This one is more controversial, but IMO it's a myth. The Chargers have been somewhat lucky, in part due to their weak division and in part because they have hit on some quality draft picks (that, you CAN thank Nix for). However, in terms of team-building, they have been somewhat dysfunctional. While they've achieved success relative to the Bills, if you look at the path that has gotten them here there have been numerous curious decisions. To name some examples: firing Schotty after his success; drafting 3 elite running backs in a short timespan (LT, Turner, Matthews) - and then paying Sproles $8 million; playing chicken with their best players and clubhouse leaders; jettisoning Brees and drafting Rivers in his place, draft "misses" on WRs, etc. Again, this one is open to debate. The reason I raise it is because one of the most popular refrains we hear at TSW is that Nix is the architect of a great team. I take issue with both of those points - I think Nix was not the architect, and that San Diego has succeeded despite serious dysfunction.

I don't disagree...If the Chargers were in a better Division they would not have had the success they've had...Of coarse compared to the way The Bills have been run The Chargers are a model of consistency...I guess it's what you're comparing it to, but point taken...

This is another popular one. But it got tosses out of the window down 53 flights yesterday, when the announcers during the game relayed Gailey's comment to them before the game to the effect that, "Our offensive line just isn't big or physical enough for us to do what we want to do on offense." Oh realllllly? And what was done this offseason to fix that critical problem? You'd think that if Nix and Gailey were truly together on everything, at a minimum Gailey would've pushed for (and gotten) more help with the key foundation of the offense he was hired to implement. Similarly, do you think that if Nix understood how little Spiller was going to be used in this offense, he would've burned a high draft pick on him? I tend to doubt it.

Definitely possible there is a gap...They never worked together before to my knowledge...This could turn into a hell of a problem down the road if true...We'll see...

Sorry, this is a myth. The Bills have had decent success in the draft over the past decade. The problem, unfortunately, has been horrible player development and horrible coaching. There are players on this team who would be very solid, productive role players - if not stars - for other teams in this league, had they been drafted into quality organizations with experienced, coherent coaching and schemes, as well as strength and conditioning. As much as folks here beat up on Lynch, Whitner, Poz, and even Kelsay, these are players who can play in this League. Their careers have been ruined by this cesspool of an organization.

Sorry you really lost me on this one...Is the problem ALL poor Drafting? No...But is it a major contributing factor? Hell Yes...Just look at the names of the 1st-3rd Round Draft Picks since 2003 and tell me there is not a problem there...And when you get the chance to Draft in the Top 11 or so Picks and the names you come away with are Maybin, Whitner and McKelvin instead of Matthews, Ngata, and Rogers-Cromartie...It's a problem...It's a BIG problem...

This is the saddest myth of all of them. Folks, there is just no evidence that the Bills are "building" anything here. If you want to see an organization that is successfully rebuilding, take a look at Pioli's Chiefs. Specifically, look how many of his 2010 draft picks are playing key roles. By contrast, none of our 2010 draft picks are even playing, let alone playing a roll. This team continues to get beat at the point of attack, wear down late in games, and make mental mistakes. The key foundation of any NFL team - the offensive and defensive lines - continues to be a trainwreck. There is no NFL-caliber QB on the roster. This team is not rebuilding - it is re-doing. Sorry to say it, but it's just the truth.

Agreed...

So:

1) Nix is a football dumbass;

2) Chargers weren't good, just lucky, particulary over the time Nix was there;

3) Our coach and GM don't agree on football operations;

4) The Bills draft choices the last ten years have been just fine, but the organization failed them;

5) We're not rebuilding, we just suck. No thought is being given to the future.

Really. That is just asinine. Expecially #4! You go right ahead and defend all those steller picks my friend. You lost me from the beginning but you are so out of step with reality on that one that you lose all credibility. Why don't you just say your p*ssed off like the rest of us and lose the crazy "Palidinoesque" logic.

So:

4) The Bills draft choices the last ten years have been just fine, but the organization failed them;

Really. That is just asinine. Expecially #4! You go right ahead and defend all those steller picks my friend. You lost me from the beginning but you are so out of step with reality on that one that you lose all credibility. Why don't you just say your p*ssed off like the rest of us and lose the crazy "Palidinoesque" logic.

+1. That post was completely opinionated and shielded from reality.

So:

Interesting way of responding. I stand by all of my points, and since you haven't substantively rebutted any of them (instead launching a personal attack), I'll assume you don't have a rebuttal. Re: 4, the Bills have had plenty of misses on draft day, but also plenty of hits. The Patriots have had a ton of misses. 50% is a good result. It's not all about drafting. Rather than devining the secret of whether Donte Whitner truly sucks or not, perhaps ask yourself whether he would be much better on a good team. If he had gone to Baltimore (which he may have, if we had taken Ngata), IMO he'd be a great player in this League.

With all due respect . . . you don't want me to buy into these "myths", but you seem to want me to accept a lot of your view of the situation. I don't even disagree with all your thoughts, but why would I not expect the best from Nix/Gailey, et al. and instead swallow what you're cooking?

Edited by Sabre Bill

With all due respect . . . you don't want me to buy into these "myths", but you seem to want me to accept a lot of your view of the situation. I don't even disagree with all your thoughts, but why would I not expect the best from Nix/Gailey, et al. and instead swallow what you're cooking?

Fair enough. You're entitled to weigh the evidence you've seen so far and decide for yourself. IMO, the evidence cuts only one way.

The Kansas City Chiefs are to 2010 as the Buffalo Bills are to 2008.

"Crowning their ass" as a proper rebuilding effort when KC has played nothing but scrubs is akin to what happened here just a few years ago. It wasn't so long ago the Levy was anointed yet again a great one and the draft of Lynch/Poz/Edwards was declared the hit of the century or something.

Patience on the Chiefs. Back to earth they come.

Five myths...

Nice post. Arguments well thought-out and well supported.

I guess I'm just so mired in the decade-plus long abyss of SUCK that I can't even tell up from down anymore. This team has problems in so many areas, I don't know who to blame or where to begin to get better.

:(

All I know is what I see. I decided to give them a chance and watched as they did nothing. Even then I supposed they knew more than I did and decided to give them a chance to show something on the field that indicated improvement. I thought nine wins would insure that they knew what they were doing and headed in the right direction. They obviously do NOT know what they are doing and have taken a mediocre to arguably good football team and turned it into the laughingstock of the league. I don't care if they were the equivalent of Bill Polian, Tuna and Vince Freakin Lombardi somewhere else. SHOW ME THE BABY.

The Kansas City Chiefs are to 2010 as the Buffalo Bills are to 2008.

"Crowning their ass" as a proper rebuilding effort when KC has played nothing but scrubs is akin to what happened here just a few years ago. It wasn't so long ago the Levy was anointed yet again a great one and the draft of Lynch/Poz/Edwards was declared the hit of the century or something.

Patience on the Chiefs. Back to earth they come.

maybe..but who would you rather have as the architects of a rebuild? their fo or ours?

Interesting way of responding. I stand by all of my points, and since you haven't substantively rebutted any of them (instead launching a personal attack), I'll assume you don't have a rebuttal. Re: 4, the Bills have had plenty of misses on draft day, but also plenty of hits. The Patriots have had a ton of misses. 50% is a good result. It's not all about drafting. Rather than devining the secret of whether Donte Whitner truly sucks or not, perhaps ask yourself whether he would be much better on a good team. If he had gone to Baltimore (which he may have, if we had taken Ngata), IMO he'd be a great player in this League.

Sorry but #4 is WAY off Coach. Your point about Whitner actually discredits what you say. It isn't about whether or not Whitner is "good." It's not about Spiller being "exciting." These things make no difference in terms of winning football games. It's about building a team with one trick ponies, gadget players, rbs and dbs. THIS is why they continue to lose.

Another myth:

Any move that you like or liked by an organization the Buddy Nix was employed by (ie any player acquisition by SD or the Bills when he cashed their paycheck) Buddy Nix was the driving force behind that player's acquisition. Any bust & one of the other guys was responsible.

Sorry but #4 is WAY off Coach. Your point about Whitner actually discredits what you say. It isn't about whether or not Whitner is "good." It's not about Spiller being "exciting." These things make no difference in terms of winning football games. It's about building a team with one trick ponies, gadget players, rbs and dbs. THIS is why they continue to lose.

I'm not sure we're disagreeing Bill. I completely agree that they haven't been (and aren't) building this team the right way. Totally on board with you there. My point is that it isn't so much a college scouting issue as it is a team-building issue. Perhaps "player development" is the wrong emphasis, or the wrong phrase - it's about having a coherent plan, good coaching, solid schemes, and an understanding of how to fit the various pieces together into a successful program. And that's why the Nix hire is so troublesome - he's a good scout, but that's just not enough. He needs to be an architect, and I'm not sure he is one.

Some things don't wararant a rebuttal Coach. Sorry. I get your anger and even understand why you would bring the topics up. But to say what you have listed here "busts" any myths, I'm sorry. They don't and I don't feel they have enough validity to debate them or to expend a lot of time and enegy debunking them. I read many of your posts and can agree with some. This one is over the top and that's how I see it.