I watched Kelsay closely today and ...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Him and Poz make the exact same sorts of plays always chasing and seemed to always read wrong direction of the plays. Well we now know the FO is really a bunch of jokers for even thinking about an extension for players like this.

Poz had a good shot at Ladanian in the Jets backfield early in the game. LT went right through him. I thought initially it might be rust, but no excuse, a linebacker with a clean shot at a RB in the backfield should always stop him in his tracks.

Kelsay was functionally useless in an important game at home. He overpursued with regularity, he put no pressure on the QB, and most - importantly - didn't come close to making a play.

Since everything tastes better deep fried, I will order up some deep fried crow. He's not average.

I agree that he is useless, but this game wasn't the least bit important to the Billys. It was obvious after losing the first 3 games that this season is a wash. l can't imagine that the players feel much urgency, I know I don't....

Actually, the defense tightened up noticably as soon as he got hurt and Ellison came in. I don't think it was merely a coincidence.

Disagree. I watched the Miami game on DVR, and he certainly wasn't the problem early on - it was really the scheme (plus the obvious overall talent issue). They appeared to make some fixes, and they solidified thereafter. Poz is about fifty times better than Ellison, btw. I often think that his whiteness blinds people to the fact that he's an excellent run-and-chase pursuer from the MLB spot.

Edited by dave mcbride

Kelsay was functionally useless in an important game at home. He overpursued with regularity, he put no pressure on the QB, and most - importantly - didn't come close to making a play.

Since everything tastes better deep fried, I will order up some deep fried crow. He's not average.

Gee...nothing new there....

Im beginning to wonder what Buddy said when he first got here when he said were not that far away.. I think Poz and Edwards are the only solid players in our front 7.. I dont know why I have read that Carrington and Troup did not perform decently, I both fared ok when in there.. Spencer Johnson was HORRIBLE the whole game.. He was really nice when i met him but hes got to go.. Got oushed around and looked out of poistion on every big run.

Actually, after watching the LBs in today's game, I'm more convinced than ever that Poz is a good player surrounded by a sea of garbage. He's an excellent pursuer, doesn't make stupid errors, and spends a ton of time covering up other people's mistakes (of which there are way too many). He'd be starting for most teams in the league, including the Jets (in a 3-4 set).

I would agree on Poz, on Kelsay whoa, who decided to give him that much money? He sucked today, I saw him over pursue out of plays and on one Tomlinson run, get completely deked out of the play. He stinks, and so do the folks who decided to pay him big bucks.

We iso'd Kelsay all day from our seats and he was worse than we expected. Over pursued regularly, caught upfield and never came close to the QB on a rush. He simply can't cover. Poz made a lot of tackles - but from behind and 6 to 8 yards downfield. He's just not a play maker.

your problem is you are too used to bad play.

If Poz was any good and had any speed, he should be taking angles to the ball carrier at or behind the line of scrimmage, not 8 yards downfield.

He is slow - but because he is white, he gets a free pass 

This is such a crock of ****.

Why does poz get a pass cause he's white but not Kelsay? Poz isn't great, but he's a legitimate NFL starting LB...there's probably only a handful of them on D, so we really shouldn't be disparaging him when we've got so many other fires to put out.

It's like Kelsay is constantly surprised and unprepared when the ball carrier is in front of him.

He needs to engage his blocker with more of an LB mentality where he stands his man up, keeps his balance and is prepared to shed him in either direction while keeping his eyes in the backfield. Instead, he has kept his old DE mentality where he picks a technique ahead of time and commits to getting around one side of his blocker. When he's actually in position, it's out of dumb luck.

Edited by MattyT

thank you. My brother and I were discussing this today also while watching the game. Extremely slow, but also does not anticipate anything, he only reacts. I'm begining to wonder if our team is subject to film study at all with the horrible angles and assignments. This is the NFL, it's not enough to just be "out there". Give me some type 2 diabetes gonna die at the age of 33 d lineman and some lbs with instincts and a yearning to shed blockers not engage them and stick to them like some retarded magnet. Such an excellent post, couldn't agree with you more.

Oh thank God a couple people on this board have some common sense. The only reason people love Poz is because he has a Polish last name. When he's not getting hurt, he's slow, not good at stuffing the run, and average at tackling in the open field. The most overrated player on this roster, but not overrated by the rest of the league, just the people that watch the Bills.

well he's making average starting money in his new deal and unfortunatly we dont have anyone better than him on the team right now.

Kelsay got lit up by Cooper (Jets fullback) on one occasion and got regularly OWNED by the Jets backup tight end. He just couldn't fight off the block of the tight end. Running game, passing game, it didn't matter, he was just physically overmatched - against a BACKUP TIGHT END!! But hey, we have him for 4 more years at $6M a pop..

I watched him too closely today and he's horrible..I think your going to have a major overhaul on D. I wish they would ask Chan why aren't you playing the young guys - where was Troup, where was Maybin, that group of LB's are hilarious once you get over the hurt. They are terrible - Poz I think is a possible help with good players around him. No depth we went with Kyle Williams taking all snaps ? I think Edwards is okay just got worn down today. Spencer is not a starter lack of depth showed today.

Offensively where is Spiller, where is Nelson (WR) more, any one else besides Green. I know he was a stop gap, but it didn't work no point on running him out there every week. Wish there was more of an explanation on playing time or question it. My expectations for this year are not that high and that's fine but atleast compete. The Lions aren't winning much either for example but the play hard they compete. I like Gailey but he's coaching this team like he's come in in week seven and he's just learning his roster.

We're looking in from the outside. It's easy for us to say "Hey, you have no chance, play the young guys." But Chan is (and should be) playing to win every game. When we're mathematically out of the playoffs, I'd expect to see a lot more of the young guys.

It's like Kelsay is constantly surprised and unprepared when the ball carrier is in front of him.

He needs to engage his blocker with more of an LB mentality where he stands his man up, keeps his balance and is prepared to shed him in either direction while keeping his eyes in the backfield. Instead, he has kept his old DE mentality where he picks a technique ahead of time and commits to getting around one side of his blocker. When he's actually in position, it's out of dumb luck.

I think you're right.

Kelsay has been a linebacker for four games now. What he's doing, overriding all his old instincts, is extremely hard. He should improve, though I don't expect to see him ever become excellent.

Actually, after watching the LBs in today's game, I'm more convinced than ever that Poz is a good player surrounded by a sea of garbage. He's an excellent pursuer, doesn't make stupid errors, and spends a ton of time covering up other people's mistakes (of which there are way too many). He'd be starting for most teams in the league, including the Jets (in a 3-4 set).

+1

+1