McGee and McKelvin "shut down" corners

DUFF

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it just seems like a waste. the secondary is the strength of this team and i believe the two "Mc's" could shut down any receiver(given that there is pressure on the qb). keep byrd and whitner back and blitz the rest!!!

Edited by DUFF

McKelvin is or is close to being a shut down corner. I'm sorry to say but McGee is past his prime and with this nagging knee injury will never be a shut down corner again. When he did have those skills we ran the tampa2 which never fully took advantage of them. I think Florence and McKelvin are our best man corners.

Who cares if they are shut down corners or not. The few blitzes we EVER run are very successful. Every QB we played this season has had an OVERLY long amount of time to throw the ball. You would think by week three they would be dialing up some blitzes. Then again when you look at the conservative offense, you can guess the defense won't be much different.

maybe because they arent?

good corners, yes. shutdown corners? i doubt that.

it's hard to judge when there is no pass rush and the opposing qb has all day to throw...revis and his cloned brother would be getting burnt in our backfield. the way the jets blitz you have about 3-4seconds to get rid of the ball. Our corners are forced to cover for about 5-9 seconds(hypothetical #s).

You could have Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha with Polamalu and Ronnie Lott for your secondary and without a pass rush it's nothing. Having rushers with the right scheme was proven in SB 42 when NYG battered Brady and stopped their high-powered offense.

You draft pass rushers first and then find corners. Kinda like drafting OT's before RB's.

Why aren't we putting these 2 in man-man coverage and blitzing the living shi-ite out of our opponents?????

Matchups. Who is going to cover Tomlinson out of the backfield? Who is going to cover Keller at all? I'm all for a well timed blitz, but even Sanchez would find these outlets and hurt us bad. Oh....and McGee is hurting.

The answer is better line play. If TEs continue to manhandle our DEs, that leaves the OT's to clean up everything else. The only blitz that makes sense for this motley crew is up the middle. Shortest distance between two points. Test Mangold's ailing shoulder, which happens to be on the same side as their struggling rookie, Slaussen.

You could have Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha with Polamalu and Ronnie Lott for your secondary and without a pass rush it's nothing. Having rushers with the right scheme was proven in SB 42 when NYG battered Brady and stopped their high-powered offense.

You draft pass rushers first and then find corners. Kinda like drafting OT's before RB's.

Of course, in a recent SI article, Rex Ryan said that he places a very high priority on CBs. His logic is that with shutdown corners then you can do whatever you need with the front 7 to generate pressure. Again, his words, not mine.

this is not a knock on gailey but i thought his greatest asset was adapting schemes to "fit his players".

so why do we keep dropping kelsay into coverage when clearly his only strength is stopping the run???

I don't know if they are shut downs yet, but I don't understand why Florence gets more snaps/harder assignments than McKelvin. Leodis has been very reliable for the most part this year.

couldn't agree with you more

maybe i missed something but i don't remember seeing mckelvin out of position once this year...which is more that i can say about florence....plus he's had like 4pbu's at clutch times!

Of course, in a recent SI article, Rex Ryan said that he places a very high priority on CBs. His logic is that with shutdown corners then you can do whatever you need with the front 7 to generate pressure. Again, his words, not mine.

Interesting. I heard Wade Phillipps say the polar opposite on Sirius. He saidd that he wanted people who could rush the passer, and that he would worry about defensive backs after the fact.

Obviously, I strongly side with Wade on this issue. As Bills Fans we have seen the futility of building a team through the secondary.

Fair enough. If I had the opportunity on a rebuilding club to select the best DB or best DE, I'm going with the latter. Brady and Rodgers made that secondary look awfully pedestrian the past two weeks.

McKelvin is or is close to being a shut down corner. I'm sorry to say but McGee is past his prime and with this nagging knee injury will never be a shut down corner again. When he did have those skills we ran the tampa2 which never fully took advantage of them. I think Florence and McKelvin are our best man corners.

McKelvin could be great in time...but he is no where near an elite CB yet. McGee has proven through his play on the field this season that he is by far the best CB on the roster. JMO

Like Maybin! :blink: