McGee and McKelvin "shut down" corners

DUFF

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem is more "who do we have that can blitz"? If you don't have any guys that can beat a lineman one on one, it makes blitzing a little hard.

I think the key is to use more defenders than they have linemen. And/or to disguise the blitzes so they come from unexpected places where the line is otherwise occupied.

Edited by The Dean

Of course, in a recent SI article, Rex Ryan said that he places a very high priority on CBs. His logic is that with shutdown corners then you can do whatever you need with the front 7 to generate pressure. Again, his words, not mine.

Ramius that is by far the best avatar!!! Just priceless. It even looks like Rex....

McGee is not a very good corner! If you need a first down and you are playing the Bills, you throw at McGee. He doesn't get beat deep because he plays so far off the line. He is always there to make the tackle a few yards beyond the sticks but forget about a breakup. I will give him credit as a good return man in his day.

McKelvin is our best corner. I think both Florence and Corner have enough skill to be a solid #2.

Obviously, the pass rush wasn't great in a 4-3 with Schobel and totally sucks with the same players (minus Schobel) being forced into a 3-4. How can we even think about a 3-4 with the LBs we have on this team?

Edited by BuffaloFan32

I think McKelvin is a shutdown corner. Mcgee has been another story this year. He seems to lack the great cover skills that Mckelvin has but is still one of the top corners in the league, IMO. Im still not sold on Florence, he doesn't have the speed or power to get up in the WR's face and stick on him through the route, and he's penalty prone.

Agreed tho, we need to blitz these QB's and force our DB's and safeties to make plays. Hoping Byrd has his first pick this week.

McKelvin, who might turn out to be a pretty good player, is just another wasted pick by Dick Levy imo.

I’d say McK already has turned out to be a “pretty good player”. He has made several big plays in the past 3 weeks on some good receivers. Tight coverage, nice reaction to the ball, pass break ups. He must be one of the best athletes on the squad and seems to play well enough to contain the likes of Moss and Marshall to name 2.

Can’t figure out what Yobooty is missing that limits his playing time at corner but he is good on special teams (I won’t say great because McIntyre is an absolute stud on special teams and sets the bar higher for the rest). McGee is solid and has been for a long time, though they are going to need to spend a high draft pick in the near future to replace him.

Neither are what I consider "shutdown corners". Guys like Champ Bailey, Deon Sanders and Revis etc are such players. By definition "shutdown corners" are asked to play a lot of man to man coverage against the best WR on the opposing team and consistently on a week to week basis limit opposing WR's to very little catches and yards. In some cases with the elite CB's, opposing quarterbacks will tend to stay away from that CB the entire game. No quarterback is scared of our secondary which IMO gets overrated by many here.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Because even with they blitz, they don't get to the QB. Thus, leaving someone wide open. That is what happened over and over again against the Packers. They backed off last week against Brady and gave him ALL DAY to survey the field. In fact, they played a very bend-but-don't break style of defense against the Pats, and Brady has always been the master of taking what the defense give him. Against Sanchez, I am hopeful that rattle him by blitzing, especially if they can cook up a scheme that disguises it well. The only problem is that the run defense is so bad, that the Jets could exploit the blitz by some well timed draws. Uggg.

Besides Revis maybe Champ Bailey if he still has it and the guy from the Raiders whose name I will not attempt to spell there aren't any other shut down corners in the NFL. McGee and McKelvin are very good corners and McKelvin might develop into something close to that but they just aren't shut down guys (Also Florence is a solid corner).