McGee and McKelvin "shut down" corners

DUFF

Why aren't we putting these 2 in man-man coverage and blitzing the living shi-ite out of our opponents?????

Because our D.C. sucks. It makes absolutely ZERO sense. It's the most frustrating part of our team, by far, imo.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McKelvin has played better than expected, as he was getting very close to being a total bust.

Based on What ?

2008 Drafted and played mostly back-up to Jabari Greer.

2009 started first 3 games and went down with a season ending injury.

2010 we are just 3 games in.

Edited by Aplusfool

McGee is a very good corner. He has lost a step perhaps, but has actually improved in coverage over the years. Still he is not what I would call a true "shut down" corner. Nevertheless he can hold his own with just about anyone.

McKelvin is on his way to becoming a true shutdown corner, IMO. The mistakes are much less frequent than they used to be.

I'd like to see the Bills trust these CBs (and Youboty) more and bring the blitz from time to time. As has been said, a great pass rush really helps the DBs and the opposite is true as well. Use the team's strength (in this case DBs) to help offset the weakness (pass rush). Byrd is really the key in the defensive backfield for this plan. He needs to be healthy and more consistent in coverage. Whitner is versatile and needs to be moved around and used on the blitz on occasion, I think. He and Scott tackle better than the linebackers (with the exception of Poz, perhaps).

Based on What ?

2008 Drafted and played mostly back-up to Jabari Greer.

2009 started first 3 games and went down with a season ending injury.

2010 we are just 3 games in.

In 2008 he was a rookie. Duh. But you could see him develop. He was surpassing Greer by season's end.

In 2009 he was playing well before the injury. The injury really hurt the D, IMO.

So far this year, he has been fabulous for the most part.

Because our D.C. sucks. It makes absolutely ZERO sense. It's the most frustrating part of our team, by far, imo.

I'm glad you're able to see in week 3 of the guy's tenure that he sucks. Let's add George Edwards to the list of coordinators we've run out of town prematurely so he can go pick up a Super Bowl ring with another team.

You could have Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha with Polamalu and Ronnie Lott for your secondary and without a pass rush it's nothing. Having rushers with the right scheme was proven in SB 42 when NYG battered Brady and stopped their high-powered offense.

You draft pass rushers first and then find corners. Kinda like drafting OT's before RB's.

Florence has played well this year, arguably better than McKelvin and I think definitely better than McGee. That is not a shot at McGee, it is a compliment to Florence. McKelvin has played better than expected, as he was getting very close to being a total bust.

You were right about one thing, and I bolded it for you.

Florence has shown nothing this year, and McKelvin has outplayed him in an almost unfair manner... of course IMHO.

Funny how we all watch the same games and see different things. :unsure:

You were right about one thing, and I bolded it for you.

Florence has shown nothing this year, and McKelvin has outplayed him in an almost unfair manner... of course IMHO.

Funny how we all watch the same games and see different things. :unsure:

Florence has made a few nice plays, but he is nowhere near the talent of McKelvin. He is a savvy vet. I tend to forget about him when I discuss the DBs and I don't know why. He is an abysmal tackler, though.

McKelvin is on his way to becoming a true shutdown corner, IMO. The mistakes are much less frequent than they used to be.

Do you think that he will ever be physical enough to be a shutdown corner? I for one do not. Dein Sanders wasn't very physical, but he was a freak. When I look at McKelvin I am not seeing Mel Blount, but that's just me.

I DID think he had potential at being an all time great kickoff returner but he isn't being asked to do that any more.

McKelvin, who might turn out to be a pretty good player, is just another wasted pick by Dick Levy imo.

Florence has made a few nice plays, but he is nowhere near the talent of McKelvin. He is a savvy vet. I tend to forget about him when I discuss the DBs and I don't know why. He is an abysmal tackler, though.

Intersting, I can't seem to recall him blowing a tackle.

Thanks, though. I now have a legitimate reason to watch this weekend, I mean other than yearning to blow 3+ hours on wishful thinking instead of enjoying what is now some seriously beautiful weather down here!! :thumbsup:

Interesting. I heard Wade Phillipps say the polar opposite on Sirius. He saidd that he wanted people who could rush the passer, and that he would worry about defensive backs after the fact.

Obviously, I strongly side with Wade on this issue. As Bills Fans we have seen the futility of building a team through the secondary.

If I was building a 3-4, I'd want to have star players at NT, RDE, my rushing OLB, and my #1 CB.

Then (if everything is perfect), your RDE is another Bruce Smith, your NT another Ted Washington or Pat Williams, your OLB is another pre-injury Bryce Paup, and your CB is another Antoine Winfield but with better hands. With a defense like that you could rush just three guys and still get a good pass rush from Bruce Smith. Or you could blitz, knowing that you can leave your #1 CB on an island against the other team's #1 WR, and that you'll be okay.

That said, I agree the Bills' efforts to build through the secondary have failed. That's due to several factors: misplaced priorities, bad drafting, devoting too may resources to defensive backs and running backs, and to letting those defensive backs go first-contract-and-out after being drafted.

In 1993 the Bills used a first round pick on Thomas Smith, CB. Then the next year they used their first rounder on Jeff Burris, another CB. Smith spent seven years (out of nine total in the NFL) with the Bills, so at least we got most of whatever value he brought. The same is not true of Burris, who only spent four years in Buffalo out of a ten year career. I don't care what position you draft--you can't flush first round picks down the toilet that way and expect to build a successful team. You just can't.

Apparently, someone at the Bills' front office decided to try to prove me wrong. They drafted Antoine Winfield, CB in the first round of 1999, and Nate Clements, CB, in the first round of 2001. Winfield spent only five years with the Bills (out of twelve years and counting), and Clements spent only six (out of ten years and counting).

Having decided that spending too many first round picks on defensive backs wasn't working, someone in the front office thought, Well, maybe that strategy can work as long as we reach for the defensive backs we draft. The Bills therefore used the eighth overall pick on Donte Whitner in 2006. Then they used a first rounder on Leodis McKelvin in 2008, apparently because someone decided it made more sense to do that than to extend Jabari Greer. (That said, I'll like the McKelvin pick a lot more if he spends his career in Buffalo than if he goes first-contract-and-out.)

Suppose that the Bills had drafted Winfield in 1999 (just as they did), had kept him here his whole career, and then had drafted McKelvin as his eventual replacement. That would work out to about one first round pick on DBs every decade, which seems more or less the way it should be. But instead, this front office has used first round picks to draft first-contract-and-out DBs, highly overrated DBs, DBs to replace players we should never have been letting go, etc. Over the last twenty years, the Bills have used eight first round picks on DBs! One first rounder on DBs per decade is reasonable. Four per decade is not; especially not for a team that can't keep its QB from getting concussions. In order to throw all those first round picks into the roaring fire of the DB positions, we had to de-prioritize other positions: most notably QB and the OL.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

You could have Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha with Polamalu and Ronnie Lott for your secondary and without a pass rush it's nothing. Having rushers with the right scheme was proven in SB 42 when NYG battered Brady and stopped their high-powered offense.

You draft pass rushers first and then find corners. Kinda like drafting OT's before RB's.

agreed. the bills front seven are minor league. that will change over time, but for now, QBs have all the time in the world. blitzing with our "terrifying" LBs will just make more holes to pass into. face it, the bills do not have the talent in the front seven to do what the Jets and Steelers do. Sorry, but its true. It will change, but for now it is what it is. a very average front seven. the bills can't get teams in 3rd and 8 like the jets and pitt do. Pitt only brings the zone blitz in 3rd and long situations.

Poor bills fans. Desperate for some excitement, but no one in the house to deliver it. I just TIVO the games now and go play golf. Waste of time staring at this crap team.

Matchups. Who is going to cover Tomlinson out of the backfield? Who is going to cover Keller at all? I'm all for a well timed blitz, but even Sanchez would find these outlets and hurt us bad. Oh....and McGee is hurting.

The answer is better line play. If TEs continue to manhandle our DEs, that leaves the OT's to clean up everything else. The only blitz that makes sense for this motley crew is up the middle. Shortest distance between two points. Test Mangold's ailing shoulder, which happens to be on the same side as their struggling rookie, Slaussen.

Kelsay, the 24 million dollar man will cover Tomlinson. LOL!

Each of our top 3 CB's have their own particular set of skill sets which the D.C tries to use.

Florence- The most physical DB we have, and usually has been put on the other teams number 1 WR in an effort to disrupt their route. He is not the greatest in coverage compared to the other two but is a good physical corner. I have not seen him miss tackles as someone earlier said, i think he is a good tackler.

McKelvin- Closest to be a shutdown corner. He is physical and pretty much all year has been in his WR's back pocket. Has made key pass breakups. Clearly has the speed to run with anyone.

McGee- Due to injury he is not as fast as he once was. Though he still possess good speed he is very solid in coverage. Not the most physical CB but he is our best tackling corner.

In the games we have seen D.C. move them around in order to use each of their skill sets effectively after judging who was beating them on offense.

Dein Sanders wasn't very physical

WOW, that's an understatement. Sanders was a sissy, when it came to contact. I could never understand how/why teams didn't exploit that more often. He was a freak, though.

McKelvin could be more physical, that's true. But his coverage ability is pretty damn good right now, and he seems to be getting better all the time.

While I don't think the Bills particularly needed to pick a CB when they got McKelvin, I'd hardly count it as a wasted pick.