Michael Lombardi Quote On Edwards

jabtot

Michael Lombardi Tweets...

How do you go from starting week 1 to not even being good enough to be on the team? I wonder if the Bills think they need to draft a QB now?

Exactly....we are still on track to get THE BEST qb in the next draft.

I am not sure the best qb was available at the Spiller pick.

I still think Spiller was a solid pick, and should payoff benefits for us

for a long time.

I agree with Lombardi. How could they not know what they had even before the beginning of the season? Looks like an overdue move but one made based on panic more than reasoned analysis.

Can you explain how the move might have been made based on panic rather than analysis? They did not have to release him. They did so because Trent proved he was not a gamer.

That's the only way a player can truly be judged. He outperformed the other QB's in the practice setting and in preseason games. But when the live bullets flew he reverted back

into a pumpkin.

If you recall Jauron's coaching was indicted. The offensive line was indicted. Both were given as reasons why Trent might not have succeeded. So a new regime comes in knowing that

information. They give Trent a fresh start. They coach him up. He performs well enough in preseason. Then games come and he is straight terrible. They replace him with Fitz who

goes in and shows he's a gamer. Suddenly the line can block a little better; suddenly receivers are wide open down field. There is no reason to put Trent back in after that or even broach

the idea. Try to trade him. No takers. Cut him. Sounds like they analyzed the situation perfectly. Fans complain about Edwards then he's cut and people still complain. Give us a break

and be glad some dead weight was released.

They replace him with Fitz who goes in and shows he's a gamer. Suddenly the line can block a little better; suddenly receivers are wide open down field. There is no reason to put Trent back in after that or even broach the idea.

Suddenly they are playing one of the worst defenses in the league instead of two of the best - but that's a bit too much analysis, I suppose?

Man are some of the fans here going to have "Fitz" when they see Mr. Magoo toss 5 picks against the Jets.

I don't disagree that Edwards had lost it and was not the answer, but people who think the rest of the offense was doing better only because of Fitz are in for a rude awakening.

Edited by BobChalmers

Can you explain how the move might have been made based on panic rather than analysis? They did not have to release him. They did so because Trent proved he was not a gamer.

That's the only way a player can truly be judged. He outperformed the other QB's in the practice setting and in preseason games. But when the live bullets flew he reverted back

into a pumpkin.

If you recall Jauron's coaching was indicted. The offensive line was indicted. Both were given as reasons why Trent might not have succeeded. So a new regime comes in knowing that

information. They give Trent a fresh start. They coach him up. He performs well enough in preseason. Then games come and he is straight terrible. They replace him with Fitz who

goes in and shows he's a gamer. Suddenly the line can block a little better; suddenly receivers are wide open down field. There is no reason to put Trent back in after that or even broach

the idea. Try to trade him. No takers. Cut him. Sounds like they analyzed the situation perfectly. Fans complain about Edwards then he's cut and people still complain. Give us a break

and be glad some dead weight was released.

Basically same as last year. Chan's a slow learner, I guess.

Suddenly they are playing one of the worst defenses in the league instead of two of the best - but that's a bit too much analysis, I suppose?

Man are some of the fans here going to have "Fitz" when they see Mr. Magoo toss 5 picks against the Jets.

I don't disagree that Edwards had lost it and was not the answer, but people who think the rest of the offense was doing better only because of Fitz are in for a rude awakening.

Actually I thought the line did well in the Miami game and TE still wouldn't throw downfield unless there was blown coverage.

Fair point re: strength of opposing D. But even though QB isn't everything, it is the single most important thing. I predict that the 2 Trent games will be our 2 worst offensive games in terms of first downs, yards per play, and total yards. Maybe not points, though. Fitz will move the ball, but will certainly throw his share of picks as well. Plus, our WRs are so unused to having the ball in their hands that they're bound to fumble a few just out of surprise.

The offense, especially the OL, did play better because of Fitz. Certainly, no one is claiming that Fitz is a legitimate franchise qb. But that isn't the point. Edwards was given every opportunity to prove that he was a capable starter. He didn't play up to that standard. So the organization moved on. Fitz demonstrated that if you decisively go into the play and trust yourself and your teammates it will have a positive affect on your offense. Having your qb hesitating and playing scared in a league in which defenses plays very fast is a recipe for disaster.

What I like about Gailey is that he is holding the players accountable. Hardy didn't come around so he was cut. Johnson was not playing well as a receiver so Parish replaced him as the second receiver. Don't be too surprised if not in the too distant future Cornell Green is replaced as a starter. He is atrocious.

Make no mistake about it the Bills have a long way to go before they become a serious team. That's okay. What is important right now is to manage your team in a very purposeful way. If you don't produce then another player will be given an opportunity to take over your position. Not tolerating bad play and reacting to it is setting a tone that in the long run will positively serve this team.

Edited by JohnC

These guys are idiots. The pundits I mean. It's easy to see how Edwards went from starter to on the street. He's a great practice player and in games that don't mean anything. Gailey probably saw a very efficient Edwards in practice. The same guy we saw in pre-season games. But Edwards has always been the same. He can't handle pressure in real games. Gailey thought he could work his magic on him, but when the pressure came, it became clear after two games that Edwards was likely unfixable. I don't blame Gailey for not noticing. How could he notice flaws in a game that weren't being revealed.

Basically same as last year. Chan's a slow learner, I guess.

No, I think Chan was willing to give him one more chance. Don't you think he studied film on Trent? I'm sure the first thing he saw was his lack of confidence and probably figured he could coach him back to form.

It took 2 regular season games (and probably a mini-mutiny) to realize this.

We have to remember too that this is Chan's offense and after he watches tapes of games he knows where Trent was supposed to go with the ball, and I'm sure many a times while Trent was sound asleep Old Chan was up drinking a couple bud Lights with the fat offensive line coach saying " What the hell was Trent doing on that play"..! " Why didn't Trent hit Lee on that one"..! "Dammit fat offensive line coach ( I don't know his name ) pass me another Bud Light".>! :wallbash:

Actually I thought the line did well in the Miami game and TE still wouldn't throw downfield unless there was blown coverage.

I had pretty good seats for the Miami game and the line looked bad throughout the game. When they weren't blitzing and molesting Trent, they were pushing the line back into his face. Whether Fitzie might have brought enough to the table to make a difference in that regard, tough to say. One can assume he would have made a difference, I suppose. Maybe he turns that from an L to a W.

These guys are idiots. The pundits I mean. It's easy to see how Edwards went from starter to on the street. He's a great practice player and in games that don't mean anything. Gailey probably saw a very efficient Edwards in practice. The same guy we saw in pre-season games. But Edwards has always been the same. He can't handle pressure in real games. Gailey thought he could work his magic on him, but when the pressure came, it became clear after two games that Edwards was likely unfixable. I don't blame Gailey for not noticing. How could he notice flaws in a game that weren't being revealed.

He could have looked at the previous 3 years of tape. When you watch tape on a guy you don't just watch his 5 minute high light reel.

He could have looked at the previous 3 years of tape. When you watch tape on a guy you don't just watch his 5 minute high light reel.

He watched tape on Fitz and Brohm, too. He was supposed to ignore their flaws on both tape AND practice AND pre-season games, but ignore that Trent looked better right in front of him? That's stupid.

The offense, especially the OL, did play better because of Fitz. Certainly, no one is claiming that Fitz is a legitimate franchise qb. But that isn't the point. Edwards was given every opportunity to prove that he was a capable starter. He didn't play up to that standard. So the organization moved on. Fitz demonstrated that if you decisively go into the play and trust yourself and your teammates it will have a positive affect on your offense. Having your qb hesitating and playing scared in a league in which defenses plays very fast is a recipe for disaster.

What I like about Gailey is that he is holding the players accountable. Hardy didn't come around so he was cut. Johnson was not playing well as a receiver so Parish replaced him as the second receiver. Don't be too surprised if not in the too distant future Cornell Green is replaced as a starter. He is atrocious.

Make no mistake about it the Bills have a long way to go before they become a serious team. That's okay. What is important right now is to manage your team in a very purposeful way. If you don't produce then another player will be given an opportunity to take over your position. Not tolerating bad play and reacting to it is setting a tone that in the long run will positively serve this team.

Wang starts in his place after the bye. That's what I am betting

Edited by Throwback Bills